Need help with LG G6 uconnect crashes

magenta6763797

Need help diagnosing why after the Oct '18 security update,  the bluetooth on my G6 crashes.

I have tried the following which did not solve the issue.

- safe mode

- factory reset

If I disable the media link and just use the phone features, I CAN use the phone over bluetooth.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this further?

Is TMobile or LG working on a fix?

My car's bluetooth radio is from 2014, so neither cutting edge nor an antique.

Any further into would be appreciated.

All replies

• magentatechie

I had the exact same problem with my G6, tried the factory reset, clear Bluetooth app cache and data and was tearing my hair out, but more than anything I noticed a huge drop in my battery longevity.  I drive for Uber Eats on my days off and this got to be entirely too frustrating since I spend so much time in and out of my car (having to continuously make sure it's plugged in, aux cord connected if I want to hear music, etc).  I couldn't take it so I went ahead and got the G7, which I'm loving, but I do hate feeling like LG disabled a perfectly good phone.

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Need help with LG G6 uconnect crashes

It's so weird. I've heard of other LG device having trouble with Bluetooth after updates. Have you tried using an audio cable to see if the sound is better? Are you using your car Bluetooth or a headset?

• kh22423

I am also having the same issue, and since my state is a hands free state, my phone is currently useless in my car. SW version is H87220e. I need for Tmobile to resolve this so that i can actually use my device.

• @lefty204th

Same Issues going here, I cannot connect any audio or media, I can receive phone calls and hear them via bluetooth. It always blows my mind that these updates are pushed without any QA/QC done to see how they affect devices, a billion dollar company cannot seem to ever get this right! T-mobile better be working on a fix ASAP and if not they better be willing to offer some sort of compensation to customers that now have to get a new phone because of something that was out of our control!

• magentatechie

If you haven't already, the complaints really need to be directed at Google/LG as T-Mobile only releases the software as LG determines that it needs to go out and has nothing to do with the actual programming.

• monarch0101

Adding another voice to the list. Bluetooth crashes every 4-5 minutes and is unusable, ever since the update from a couple weeks ago. I use my phone as hub for music/podcasts on my commute...not only my most common use of bluetooth, but also the only way I really use audio in my car as well. I've worked with LG support on issues like this in the past and my perception is that they don't care a whiff for an individual customer's issue. Tmo, please tell me you're communicating with LG to get this fixed instead of just waiting and hoping for them to fix it. We have no voice with them, but I have to believe you'll do whatever is possible to help us out. I'm really enjoying having a paid off phone, but this is a deal breaker.

• amnesiasd

I'm having the same issue with my G6. Ever since the last update, bluetooth functionality is very spotty. Half the time, the phone won't connect to any bluetooth device. After bluetooth device is turned off or disconnected, it still remains showing up as connected.

• wannabe

Chiming in to say I'm having the same issue ever since the October 2018 Security Update. Bluetooth functionality has been severely crippled, with the bluetooth app/connection constantly crashing. The issue is way more pronounced on my 2017 Honda CR-V. It happens constantly. On my Sony SBH80 Bluetooth headphones it happens about once an hour.

• magenta6825825

Same issues here. It is quiet ridiculous. Not only does it not stay connected. It drains the battery and causes the phone to become extremely hot. Very much an all around safety issue.

• magenta6830660

I was able to find a solution on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg6/comments/9uzy4l/should_i_install_october_patch_on_h872_tmobile_us/#thing_t1_e98h5zk

It involves enabling the developer options and switching the bluetooth avrcp. Once I set it back to 1.3, I was able to connect to my car's bluetooth again and stay connected.

• jjhayter

Senior Programmer here's my 2 cents: Get management on a call to fix this. Period. Quality Assurance must be pretty overtaxed to not catch this, on a still-popular product, as it's a joint venture between Google, LG, and T-Mobile.

I will not humor the notion that this was properly vetted for enterprise companies.

Draw the obvious conclusion and get management on the call to sort it out.

Lyft driver, and all other TNCs, here's my 2 cents:

Legal implications: Most states have hands-free laws, take a good look at legal action should I or another cause an accident of any level, I'll be sure to screenshot it before I close the app (for the x time(s)). Audit and compliance will have a very solid case for slack SDLC/ALM; the law does not consider if you(the companies above) do not have enough resources to maintain development and IT staff; they care about whether or not the law is followed.

Cash flow implications: Customers get nervous when your phone keeps crashing; it's distracting. Additionally, it has a very high risk of getting docked with customer reviews of drivers. Monetary loses will be acted upon. I will honestly call customer service as many times as I need to see any unclaimable loses are offset in billing T-Mobile.

Lastly, I don't view the community staff, moderators or customer service. You're doing your jobs well, I thank you. Please keep us informed even if it is just a simple status update; at least then I can assure customers of an impending fix. I do find direct fault with development departments for poor SDLC/ALM practices.

• magenta6836758

I've had the exact same issues since the update. What really sucks is my bf has the exact same phone, and he is not having any issues connecting to blue tooth. We use pretty much all of the same blue tooth devices.

• tmo_mike_c

This is a very interesting solution. I personally don't dabble in the Dev Options, but I'm curious if this resolved the issue for any other folks with this problem?

• @lefty204th

I tried my changing my bluetooth version to the 1.3, it did not work for me. I did however get it to work on the 1.6 setting. Got a new car over the weekend and now none of the versions work for me. Still super frustrated that T-Mobile has not pushed for a update for their customers. They are are last line of defense since they are the ones pushing the OTA update, ultimately it falls on them to verify that these security updates are good before sending them to millions of customers!

• wannabe

Changing to 1.3 "fixed" the issue for me as in now it doesn't constantly crash. However when using 1.3, the audio quality is noticeably worse.

• gussers

Just chiming in. This seems to be happening since the last update. Before that I never had issues in my car. Now I get the message that the app crashed over and over. My car tells me the phone disconnected disconnected and reconnected as well. During calls I get random dropping of the call while on Bluetooth. Even when not connected I get messages on my phone about BT crashed and the blue tooth has hung to the point I have to reboot. My battery life send to have gone way down too .I haven't added any apps, so that isn't a factor . This is totally frustrating as there's no way to roll back and there was no discernable advantage to me updating .

• tmo_mike_c

I appreciate everyone posting here and letting us know this is an issue. Thanks for trying the dev option as well. I'm reporting this to my internal teams for to look into this issue further. I can't say exactly when I'll hear back or if we'll have an alternate solution, but I'm definitely sending this to the right folks for help and I'll keep everyone posted on this thread when I find out more. Feel free to post if you notice any changes or if you test the workaround and the results. Thanks everyone.

• magenta6906073

Chiming as well to mention that my LG G6 has been plagued by the same Bluetooth issues after the October 2018 update. Thanks!

• atlantatech1967

I'm also chiming in to say that I spent a ton of time troubleshooting this issue - tried different devices, connection resets, and a factory reset of the phone.  I got information yesterday about the workaround in the Developer settings & it's definitely better, but still not as good as it was before the October security update.

• magenta2194130

Experiencing the same Bluetooth issues with my Toyota Rav4.  Bluetooth app constantly crashes and disconnects/connects with the headunit repeatedly.  I though it might have been an issue with the recent update of the Toyota Entune app, but uninstalling the app did not change the connection issues.  I am not having connection issues with my Bluetooth speakers, headphones, or my Nissan Frontier.  Will try to Reddit fix, but am hoping for something official for an update soon!

• whiteplum

Just piping in that since the Android update I've also had the issue with my 2015 Mazda. Changing the Bluetooth AVRCP to 1.3 is the only thing that's worked for me so far.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey and thanks for chiming in with those specifics. Anyone here having trouble with the car Bluetooth ever get any notifications for software updates on their car's system? I know that's a stretch there's a chance it could be a conflict with both software versions not working with each other and an update on the vehicle is something worth exploring. I appreciate all your input.

• monarch0101

I received an update to my Toyota Entune application (the onboard infotainment hub) a couple days before I received the OTA security update on the G6. So both were updated within a couple days of each other.

And for additional specifics: Before the developer workaround, I was experiencing the frequent connectivity drops whether I was actively connected to bluetooth or not. For example, I would be in my home or office and received periodic 'Unfortunately, Bluetooth has stopped' notifications throughout the day even when not using any bluetooth devices with my phone. I haven't received these since the workaround.

• wannabe

Let's be perfectly clear in that this issue is in no way caused by any car updates or software updates from anything but the October 2018 Security Update for the LG G6.

• whiteplum

No problem. No software updates for my car. Bluetooth worked just fine before the Android update, unfortunately.

Thanks for your help, Mike!

• ledgekindred

I'm  having the same problems with my LG G6, Bluetooth, and my car.  So far I've been able to use a headset for an extended period of time, but in the car, the Bluetooth crashes almost immediately and repeatedly.  I have a 2019 Subaru Impreza, with the in-dash system that uses Android Auto - no updates to the in-dash system.  I only recently bought the car, (beginning of Oct) and everything worked fine for about two weeks until the Oct 2018 update hit my phone, at which point both Bluetooth and Android Auto started crashing constantly when connected to the car.  (I'm not sure if the problem with Android Auto has anything to do directly with Android Auto - what happens is the phone connects on Bluetooth and USB, Android Auto starts, then after a few moments, AA exits and I get the notice that Bluetooth has crashed.  I don't think AA itself is "breaking" but the constant Bluetooth crashes/restarts are causing AA to stop as well.) I've tried without connecting via USB so that AA does not attempt to connect to the car, and wired without AA running.  I've forgotten the car from both Bluetooth and AA, forgotten the phone from the car, as well as emptying caches and running the auto-cleanup app on the phone, before trying to re-pair.  It still crashes regularly and repeatedly when trying to connect.  The "reddit fix" doesn't seem to have done anything to make it any better, I still get crashes from Bluetooth.

• randyk

Same problem here, with both of our LG G6 phones and a 2015 Subaru Outback.  No updates to the car's system, and it does not have Android Auto.

• tmo_mike_c

Thanks for posting more specifics. I'm still waiting on more info about this. Do keep me posted with any changes and testing you do with the Bluetooth. Once I get info about this, I'll share here. Thanks again everyone!

• seandelano

With Toyota Uconnect every fifth connection still crashes the Bluetooth. I will be trying to use some other items this week.

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 6:50:22 PM EST, tmo_mike_c <no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote: 

#yiv0063140606 * #yiv0063140606 a #yiv0063140606 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv0063140606 #yiv0063140606 h1, #yiv0063140606 h2, #yiv0063140606 h3, #yiv0063140606 h4, #yiv0063140606 h5, #yiv0063140606 h6, #yiv0063140606 p, #yiv0063140606 hr {}#yiv0063140606 .yiv0063140606button td {}

|

T-Mobile Support

|

|

Need help with LG G6 uconnect crashes

reply from tmo_mike_c in Android products - View the full discussion

Thanks for posting more specifics. I'm still waiting on more info about this. Do keep me posted with any changes and testing you do with the Bluetooth. Once I get info about this, I'll share here. Thanks again everyone!

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on T-Mobile Support

Start a new discussion in Android products by email or at T-Mobile Support

Following Need help with LG G6 uconnect crashes in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

• monarch0101

Got a new notification for a security update this morning...I have to admit I'm nervous to accept it. Can someone from Tmo give some background on if this update has anything to do with the problems we're experiencing? Thanks.