T-Mobile's internet TV box revealed in an FCC filing / wil we still need a cable box  ??

gio7707

as the title says :

T-Mobile's internet TV box revealed in an FCC filing / will we still need a cable box  ??

All replies

• gio7707

sorry wasn't able to edit title (no edit possibility on title )

of course :

T-Mobile's internet TV box revealed in an FCC filing / will we still need a cable box  ??

• smplyunprdctble

This is interesting.

If your question is will you still need a cablebox, it's probably something like a cablebox "replacement" that has whatever channel lineup T-Mobile is planning on offering.  I'd think a cross between a cablebox and a Roku -- your channels (live TV) would be provided through your internet connection, but it'd probably be a one-service piece of equipment (like your cablebox is... though Xfinity has added Netflix and a few other features to their new cableboxes).

• gio7707

Thank you, somewhat answered my "Q", however if this would replace the cable-box (Xfinity,Verzion) than that would be a great breakthrough for all the cord-cutters , I always wanted to know whether T-mobile would be able to get into the market with this one.

Let's see and wait what will happen.So far no company was able to do this, means all the streaming channel;s need still a cable box for the internet connection.

T-Mobile's internet TV box revealed in an FCC filing 

• smplyunprdctble

If you search, AT&T is working on a similar box.  Some of the difference is AT&T owns DirecTV, so they're probably working with those existing contracts with networks on supplying channels through their box.

You don't need a CABLEBOX for an internet connection, you need a CABLEMODEM.  The photos show an Ethernet connection, so it would lead me to believe they're piggy backing off of your existing home network instead of going through the cellular network.  This makes sense because no cell provider is in the market to be someone's home ISP with all the streaming bandwidth that would be required.  Wireless just can't handle it (that's the reason they want to push everyone down to 480p for streaming, and have the slow down soft caps).

So, to continue on what you're probably wondering:

• You'll need a home internet connection to use this (we'll just say "it's probably 60ish from Xfinity")
                    • You start to eat a lot of costs if you're not bundling your services (cablemodem alone is 60ish, but cablemodem plus a bunch of channels is probably 90ish)
                    • The non-bundling means this TV service would need to cost less than $30ish to make it worthwhile.
                    • Your internet goes out, your TV goes out (this tends to happen together a lot now with providers like Xfinity working more towards an IPTV model)

I'd guess they'd offer packages similar to the way Sling and DirecTV Now and PS offer their packages.  I mean, time will tell.

If it's my opinion, I have the same idea of this as I do with AT&T's upcoming service and any other similar upcoming service -- probably not worth it if you're a mega TV watcher.  You're going to get more channels if you bundle with your internet.  If you don't have a TV service and you want something basic, it's potentially worth it.  But, with Sling, DirecTV Now, and PS that offer TV packages on devices you probably already own (Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, etc).  But, the big advantage of making your own device is you can control the remote design.  Roku and Amazon's simplistic remote is great, however, VERY LIMITING with their features (e.g. using with DVR and that).

Will I buy it?  Most likely not.  I cut the television part of my cord back in February.  I have an antenna and I've digitized my DVD/BluRay collection, which provides me ample to consume (feeding it to my TVs with an app).  The aforementioned app will also record off my antenna, so some local network shows I can catch live / DVR, others I augment via Hulu or Netflix.  In total, my television consumption cost is $20 (plus the cost of the DVDs / BluRays I probably would have bought anyway).  Would my sister like it?  Possibly, based on the DVR type.

• gio7707

Thanks so much for your explanation and of course I meant the modem (sorry for the confusion). However I used to connect my laptops with a T-mobil Hotspot and it worked pretty good (could watch streams on laptop or cable it to TV), I believe with a booster (Linksys WRTU54G T-Mobile HotSpot @Home) you could probably create a good network..but the question is : will it  work fine with multiple devices ??

• smplyunprdctble

Hypothetically, you can create a janky network that takes a Hotspot and converts it to Ethernet and connect Ethernet devices to it.  But, when you do janky setups, you tend to get janky results.

The device you mention is an oldschool T-Mobile@Home router.  It connects to your home internet (e.g. cablemodem) to create a "land line", and produces a WiFi Signal for any local devices (e.g. a replacement for your router).  It does not have any direct T-Mobile cellular connectivity.  It also is Wireless G.  Since then, Wireless N and Wireless AC have been released, so it's a really slow setup if you used it as your router.

To do what you want, you'd need:

1. T-Mobile Hotspot
                            2. WiFi to Ethernet Bridge for wired devices (e.g. this set-top box)

What performance would you get?  No faster than the Hotspot would provide.  WiFi does not provide the greatest of speeds as it's half-duplex.  This setup would potentially be acceptable for one, maybe two devices, but probably not both streaming at the same time.  And, you're limited to the 50GB limits T-Mobile puts on mobile internet before throttling.  One site suggests 50GB is 50 hours of Netflix viewing (I'd call that a reasonable estimate).  This means less than 2 hours of viewing a day to stay under the limit.

Short statement:  Wireless companies don't want to be a replacement for your home internet.

1 of 1 people found this helpful