Oneplus 6T Poor Call Quality

hamada128

I am having an issue with call quality when I call a specific tmobile line, I can hear a loud screeching noise while on a call and the other party hear the same noise as well. The other party has Samsung S9 phone and I am using the stock calling app.

This issue happens anytime, any where, with or without wifi calling. Only with this specific person. Anyone else the call quality is fine.

Also if I use other apps like facebook messenger, whatsapp, viber, the call quality is fine with that person.

I chatted with OnePlus tech support and they told me to reach to T-Mobile as it might be a signal issue, which I don't think is a signal issue as it happens in several locations as mentioned earlier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

All replies

• hamada128

Re: Oneplus 6T Poor Call Quality

Yesterday I put a new SIM card for my line as the old SIM had several scratches, the issue was resolved with the new SIM for few hours then this morning the issue came back again with the new SIM.

• hamada128

More interesting find.

I noticed the noise issue is happening with more people and not just one line but they all have Samsung phones (Notes 8, & S9). If those people use different phone like IPhone there is no noise at all.

Could it be something between Samsung phones & OP?

• hamada128

Update:

Went to Tmobile store and swapped the phone to another new one, still having the same screeching /high pitch noise every time I call a Samsung phone.

Any suggestions?

• magenta6728822

I am having the exact same problem! Only when calling my wifesws9+. Calling my son's s7 edge is fine. Called a friend on tmobT-Mo with an iphiPh and done. Every other person is fine as well. Need some help for sure!

• pauljiv

Same Issue here. I purchased 3 phones and all phones have the same issue. It seems to be most noticeable when I am talking to another OnePlus 6T. I stopped into the TMobile store today and the lady suggested replacing the SIM. I explained the SIM was new out of the box, and did not seem this would be the issue. I have been checking online for other reports of the issue and I am not seeing much.

I love the phone and features, but the talking to someone is quite annoying. To describe the sound it almost sounds like someone is playing with a plastic grocery store bag in the background. Sure hope there is a solution soon.  

• hamada128

I reported this issue to OnePlus tech support team. I think it is a good idea if more people having this problem report it to OP so they work harder on it.

You can also reference my ticket number with Oneplus team (3007530) and I also gave Oneplus team the link for this thread since I cannot post on their forum yet.

• pauljiv

Just went into Wi-Fi & Internet then W-IFI Calling, (Enabled to access) Calling Preferences. I selected Cellular as preferred. Backed out then re Disabled WI-FI Calling. Tested and no change. Hmm. There is a OnePlus 6 (non T)  where it was discussed to be an issue. It appears the resolution was to disable noise cancelling? I just ran across a thread. How ever it does not appear to be an option to test on the OP 6T.

go to phone dialler.

touch the three dots on top right.

then go into call settings.

noise cancellation is about 2/3 of the way down.

I do not see this option. May have moved but when searching for the 6T I come up with the same instructions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • pauljiv

Here are a few, I can't say for sure if one of these is the exact one, I have been reading so many it is difficult to go through historical.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/call-sound-crackling.846937/

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/crackling-speaker-when-on-calls.711049/

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/how-do-i-disable-noise-cancelling.576778/

I did just contact TMobile support. The tech was reviewing my lines on account and noticed that apparently my device old IMEI number was still present. I purchased the phone on release 11/1/2018 and he said that normally this would auto update. Tech had me shut off one phone at a time and made a change to manually enter my device IMEI. Tech told me that it may take 24 hours to update. He also told me that this was a new device to Tmobile. I have tested after the change on my account was made. Problem still present. So I will wait the 24 hours to see if there are any changes.

Side note: I dialed 611 and was on the line with the first tech. I experienced some cutting out, when I inquired if the tech was experiencing cutting out or any issues, he told me that I was crystal clear. I was transferred to the second tech. The one that was posting the IMEI number to my account. This required me to shut off device. So tech called my second phone while he made changes to each line. After he updated the one line and called me back he told me that the quality on his end was much better. I don't know if this was the IMEI issue or if it has to do with incoming vs outgoing call.

When I was on the line with tech (he called me incoming call).  I did not experience any cutting out, or crackling, the call quality seemed excellent.

• magenta6728822

I called tech support and she checked everything and told me to go to a tmobile store and switch out the phone for another 6T. Has anyone tried that?

• takahirata99

I am having the exact same issue.  I have reported to their customer service as well as CEO John Legere via facebook message regarding this call quality issue with Oneplus 6T when a call is made between Tmobile network phones.  While Mr. Legere responded to this issue and connected me with a special support group, the issue has not been fixed nor I have not been informed of the issue progress.

I would suggest contacting the support group so they know that many people are having the same issue or contact Mr. Legere directly and inform that there are multiple people with the same issue and Tmobile should look at issue quickly and resolve for the paying customer to use their service.

• pauljiv

Well it has now been 24 hours since the IMEI number was updated on my account. I still have the same issue, there was no change.

Per the Tech that I spoke with the next step was to take the phones to the TMobile store and let them hear what is going on, if problem is present have the Tech replace the phones. He noted my account and told me that I have until November 14 to return the phone if I am not satisfied.

Well obviously replacing the phone does not solve the issue. I sure hope that someone important acknowledges there is an issue, and provide a solution.

• pauljiv

I decided to play with some settings. This may be a work around for you if you would like to try. I tested multiple times. I was able to get get rid of the noise, as well duplicate the problem. I will try to keep it as simple as possible. You can try this work around and post if it resolves your issue. At least the good news is more than likely a developer can make a change. I do really enjoy this phone.

So here are the steps that I took and results:

#1 Open Phone Dialer go to Settings,  Sim & network, at the bottom under Cellular Data there is Preferred network type (click here) There are several options.

Both phones were set to 2G/3G/LTE (Automatic) I changed both phones to 2G only then reboot

Test Call: Call quality good problem was not present.

Follow #1 this time set both phones to 3G/LTE reboot

Test Call: Call quality poor. issue is back.

#1 then set 2G/3G (Automatic) reboot

#1 back to the original setting  2G/3G/LTE (Automatic) reboot

Test Call: Call quality poor, issue is back.

HMM seems to be an issue with the LTE Network and this phone? I am not sure but this is what it seems.

Final test I put my phone in the original setting 2G/3G/LTE (Automatic). I set wife phone to 2G/3G only reboot both phones.

Looks like to get good call quality you can not be in LTE on the same network. I have no idea what the speed difference is between 3G and LTE is but maybe the OnePlus and TMobile developers can work on a solution. Post your results I would be interested to know if this resolves the issue for others.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                              • hamada128

Definitely it is VoLTE issue. I tried 2G, 2G/3G and the voice is clear without any noises. Once I set it to any band with "LTE" the noise comes back.

I know on the OP 6 you can disable the VoLTE option but on this OP6T t-mobile version there is no option to disable VoLTE.

I hope OP & T-mobile work on an update to fix this asap.

• magenta6728822

I just put my phone into developer mode and still no option to disable the volte.

I really hope someone figures this out or they fix it.

• hamada128

There is no option under developer mode that allows you to disable VoLTE.

I gave OP tech support team this information as well about VoLTE and hopefully they will issue an update soon.

Meanwhile I set my phone to 2G/3G till they fix it as the internet is still fast with that.

• takahirata99

Tmobile continues to blame on the device instead of tmobile network and wants me to go to the store to swap the device.  If people are seeing this message, please report the issue(if you are experiencing the call quality issue with VoLTE call between two Tmobile network call) in this thread and send a message to Tmoible via FB(that's the easiest way to contact Tmobile without being frustrated on the phone). 

On the other note, I am not sure if this is region specific issue.  I am from Minneapolis, MN.

• hamada128

I am in NJ/NY metro area.

I called T-Mobile today to inform them about our findings; the rep told me to go back to the store and exchange. I explained that I already exchanged the phone and more people are having the same issue. She told me TMobile has to wait for OnePlus to notify them about the issue and they cannot do anything for it on their end till they get it from OP.

I guess we have to contact OP tech support as well as it seems every party is trying to blame it on the other side.

• magenta6728822

I'm in Orlando Florida. I did as suggested above and turned it to 2g/3g and will try it now. Just hate that I buy a 8gig, octo core super fast phone and have to not use use 4glte would that I can clearly speak to my wife!

Hopefully TMobile and OnePlus will get on this quickly. I'm sure they don't want any bumps or problems with this being the first time their phones are sold through a carrier.

Fingers crossed here folks:)

• pauljiv

I am In Utah. Unfortunately I don't social media sorry. Now that the issue is known if you search OnePlus 6 and VOLTE you will see that this phone apparently had the same issue. I wonder if the solution was to add the switch to easily disable VOLTE?

Speed test reveals the drop in speed between data 4G LTE where I am at this morning. TMobile Salt Lake City, UT down 67.5 Mbps upload 11.1 Mbps 

3G Test few minutes later to the same server, tested twice Down 4.57 Mbps and Up 2.29 Mbps

I don't use much data, but I do use maps. and price shop online for stores that will match price. As long as the call quality is clear I don''t care if I was on Edge Network. How ever for this phone to be referenced as the Flagship Octa-Core and 8 Gig with all other specs, It sure would be nice to take advantage of the speed difference for when I do use data.

• mrkazinec

I wanted to report we are having the same issues on our 6t devices. I did a trade in for both our Nexus 6's (wife and I) and we are having the same sound qaulity issues on both of the new 6t's. I've asked the store to refrain from sending our Nexus 6 devices in for a few days while we decide if we are going to keep the new phones. I hope they address this quickly; I should not be forced to us 3g data just to make a phone call.

• zohaibzaly

It just doesn't make sense to use 2g 3g network knowing you have a option to use LTE

• pauljiv

Well Promising news. I just spoke with TMobile they have a My Team of Experts. So the good news is this apparently is a known issue. The techs are no longer able to submit trouble tickets on this issue. I was told the phone is capable of the network, it is just a matter of compatibility and more than likely will be addressed in a hotfix.

• iceberrrg

Having the same problem on 2 different One Plus 6T , also seen this problem before on Samsung s9 and s9+ it is related to VoLTE setting, which needs to be turned off but T-Mobile has disable this setting so we can't access or control it.   on the S9 and S9+ I downloaded Nova Launcher and used the>>>>> widget >>>>>activities>>>>>> Enhanced LTE service ; to find the hidden VoLTE setting and turn it off but I can't find it on the ONE Plus 6T. 

• djredjoker

Yeah I am having the same issues.

• magenta6794023

My wife and I both purchased 6T's a few days ago. Everything is great with the phone except call quality. There is a very annoying high frequency rustling sound that is tolerable on BT or speakerphone but is really bad on the ear speaker. I see that Oneplus has issued 2 updates to the unlocked version that have not yet been released on T-Mobile. Perhaps this problem is addressed with these updates that we, hopefully, will see soon.

We would hate to have to return the 6T...with this one exception it is by far the best Android phone I've had.

• pauljiv

Anyone have access to an unlocked phone. Is the toggle to disable VOLTE on the unlocked version? I question due to the article posted on android central OnePlus 6T: Differences between unlocked and T-Mobile versions. (I would link but there is a delay in posting links, they get flagged pending approval). Anyhow the article indicates T-Mobile has spent extra time to tune and test the phones. Today is my make or break day due to I picked up the phone on launch. Just don't want to get stuck using the workaround 3G because I mostly talk to wife and son when I do talk on the phone. Would be nice to know so it does not turn out to be OP vs TMobile issue and the can just getting kicked down the road.