Branched from an earlier discussion.

Which one is better choice for T-mobile in USA?

spoter

Hi everyone

I would like to buy a model samsung note 9 sm-9600 or note 9 sm-960FD (Dual sim both versions). Please tell me which one is better choice for T-mobile in USA?

I also wanted to buy the Huawei Mate 20 pro, but it was bad news with defective screens. (The mate 20 pro also does not have the band B66)

is anyone able to confirm that note 9 (the above models) has a B66 frequency bands?

please see this link https://www.techwalls.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9-sm-n960-model-number-differences/  (I can not see B66 in this link)

What gives exactly band B66 in T-mobile in usa for normal user? is this frequency important?

Thank you

All replies

• syaoran

Re: Which one is better choice for T-mobile in USA?

It all depends.  Out of the box or are you willing to take the time to flash your new device to gain the most compatibility?

Out of the box, the Mate 20 Pro is your best bet.  The Mate 20 Pro from Canada supports band 66.

If you are willing to flash your device, head on over to XDA and start reading up on how to flash the 960FD to be fully compatible with T-Mobile.  Stay far away from the 9600 SnapDragon model!

• spoter

Thank you for your reply

Ok nice, I checked and really the mate 20 pro form cadana supports band 66. This is good news, but it is only single sim... I need phone with dual sim.

Why you think the note 9 960FD (dual sim) it is better than 9600 with snapdragon?

• syaoran

As a person who flashes a lot of devices and reads a lot over at XDA Developers, the Exynos devices are much easier to make do things they weren't originally designed for because they have the largest install base, they can be rooted, and they have the most developer support for them.  There is already a fully compatible TMB firmware for the FD posted there.  The 9600 is like the odd ball that almost no one has, can't be easily modded, can not be cross-flashed with US firmware currently, and has little to no developer support.

• syaoran

I just found a thread that also included the 9600 so I stand slightly corrected.  The SnapDragon 9600 finally seems to be getting some love from developers, but in this thread, you will see ROM's for pretty much all US carriers on the Exynos and 9600 variants.  Unless the 9600 is significantly cheaper, I would still go for the Exynos variant, but that's just me. 

• spoter

thank you syaoran

that is, however, we can do root on note n9600?

I'm not sure which model to choose. n9600 works longer on batterry and has a more powerful CPU & GPU.

If I do root, will the phone work as 100% unlocked? all other bands will be active? If I put in sim card other operator, than from the USA note 9 will be still working good? All rest bands will be still active?

• syaoran

Actually, the Exynos CPU is vastly superior to the SnapDragon.  The SnapDragon models do have the slightly better GPU though.  Both of them will play FortNite though with ease and give you an experience you won't notice any difference in gaming or performance for apps outside of things loading a second or two faster on the Exynos version.  You can find some good performance comparisons on YouTube.  TWRP and root are discussed in this thread for the 9600

From what I quickly got from skinning the thread.  You need to use the CSC for the carrier you use the most.  This isn't a U1 flash, but specifically for a U variant conversion.  The CSC will convert your phone to which ever carrier's CSC you use, which is similar how the whole thing works for the North American models.  My N960W has been flashed to U1 and then to the TMB U firmware, complete with receiving OTA's, WiFi Calling, Video Calling, Advanced Messaging (RCS), and so on.  The U1 loses pretty much everything expect for band 71 and WiFi Calling for T-Mobile.  By flashing a specific carrier's CSC, you will have the LTE bands enabled for that carrier.  If you put in a different carrier's SIM and they don't have compatible bands for T-Mobile, then you won't have any service.  Especially because of the difference in IMS settings, APN's, etc.