Problem Setting Up Visual Voicemail

t_cori

I just got a Samsung Galaxy J2 Pro. Everything works great until I tried to set up Visual Voicemail. The attached image is the message I keep getting. I've tried clearing the cache, I restarted my device, and I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. What am I doing wrong?

20181103_145616.jpg

All replies

• magenta6693399

Re: Problem Setting Up Visual Voicemail

I've got the exact same problem!!  I just switched to T-Mobile today from Verizon.  My phone is a new unlocked Google Pixel 3 XL and I can't get the visual voice mail to connect.  It keeps showing an error trying to setup!  I've tried through the default Google phone app and also downloaded the T-Mobile VVM app and it can't connect either.  I've cleared the app's cache, reset the network on the phone, AND even did a full wipe factory reset....NOTHING WORKS!!  I've done the same with my wife's phone (Pixel 2 XL) and hers won't connect either.  It's got to be on T-Mobile's end.  Both of these phones had no problem connecting to Verizon's visual voicemail through the default Google phone app as of today right before I made the switch.  If T-Mobile doesn't get this fixed in the next few days, I'll have to go back to Verizon.  I can't afford to not be notified of voice messages!!

• syaoran

The issue seems to be that the app has no permissions when installed from the Play Store.  Go to Settings, Apps, and add the following permissions to the Visual Voicemail app: Storage, Contacts, Phone, and SMS.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta6735416

Don't waste your time with T-Mobile "experts". I spent two weeks with T-Mobile "experts" trying to get this exact problem solved until I was told that this a known problem and may be solved sometime in the future. Yesterday I got a T-Mobile Alert text stating that they have updated their Visual Voicemail app, but the latest update on Google Play is from Aug 22, and it does not work. Not happy with T-Mobile.

• brien.hunsaker@gmail.com

Agreed! I have 2 Pixel 3XL's which I cannot get to activate visual voicemail on and 1 Pixel 1 that the visual voicemail works just fine.  All of the phones have the same updates and yet the Pixel 3's cannot receive visual voicemail. I have called the team of "Experts" many times now and they still cannot fix the visual voicemail on my Pixel 3XL. They keep stating that the phones are not a T-Mobile supported phone.  Probably not but the visual voicemail is their product and they should make sure it is working properly.  The Pixel phones are the flagship of Google's Android OS so they should at least support their basic visual voicemail functions since that is the foundation of all Android OS's. They keep asking me to download their visual voicemail app when the phone has a visual voicemail app built into the dialer exactly like an Apple phone.  Funny how they would not ask an iPhone user to install their app for visual voicemail but not a problem for them to ask an Android user to install an app to access voicemail. All of my phones worked just fine on Verizon's visual voicemail before I made the switch a little over a week ago.

• syaoran

There was an update to the Visual Voicemail app today in the Play Store.  Did that solve your issue?

• magenta6735416

There's no update showing up in my Play Store. The version I'm seeing is dated Aug 22, 2018 and it does not work.Screenshot_20181113-163848.png

• syaoran

Mine says...

Edit:  My images never upload over mobile. 

Screenshot_20181113-164323_Google Play Store.jpg

I am using a Note 9 now though and have been since it came out.

• magenta6735416

Which phone and Android version do you have? I've got Moto Z2 Force on Android 8.0. Looks like T-Mobile has set the new version compatible with only older versions of Android OS.

I have 2 Pixel 3 XL's running Android 9 which do not get visual voicemail;

however I have another phone, a Pixel 1 running Android 9 and it get visual

voicemail just fine. All 3 phones could get visual voicemail on Verizon.

That is my big complaint!

First 3 images are from my Pixel 3 XL (broken visual voicemail) and the

next 3 images are from my Pixel 1 (working visual voicemail) both running

Android 9 as you can see.

• syaoran

Samsung Galaxy Note 9, which runs Android 8.1, build version: N960USQS1ARH6.  I had an S9 Plus before this but I couldn't get Visual Voicemail to work on it.  It does work on the Nexus 6P though, so which models it works on is very hit and miss. 

• magenta6735416

I previously had an old Samsung Galaxy S5 and VVM worked on it perfectly. What irks me more than anything that T-Mobile is aware of this, but still makes everyone jump through the hoops with their "experts" and gives out misinformation.

• syaoran

A part of issue, at least in my opinion, is the app keeping up with software updates.  When I got it to work on the S9 Plus with the permissions, Samsung pushed an update and it didn't work after that.  Updates for the Visual Voicemail all are very slow.  Older devices don't get updates anymore, which means the visual voicemail app doesn't require any changes to actually remain compatible with them.

• magenta6735416

It's one thing if T-Mobile OS updates break 3rd party apps, but they should at least QA their own apps when they release OS updates... Moto Z2 Force is a T-Mobile specific model, not some random phone off the street. And, when they DO realize their apps are broken, at least have the courtesy to inform their customers instead having to jump through hoops (I was lead on for THREE WEEKS with their "experts"). The broken VVM app is still available for Moto Z2 Force in the Google Play store, and their customer support STILL has customers try to "fix it" instead of telling that it's broken.

• syaoran

The jumping through hoops is really annoying and frustrating for a lot of customers, but that tactic is to get most people to give up on it.  If T-Mobile admitted it was broken, then customers would be upset because they are failing to deliver a feature they promote.

For me, Vjsual Vokcemail ks njce to ba e but it won't stop me from enjoying a devjce.  Over the past year and a half, I have gone through 6 V30's due to screen banding issues, moved to an S9 Plus, and now a Note 9.  If the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 had band 71, I would have ordered one because it comes in green and slider phones are an awesome alternative to ruining screen realestate!  Maybe the Mi Mix 3s will have band 71.  So far, the S10's aren't interesting me. 

Of course not because I shouldn't need an app from the play store as I said in my post .What part of "built in visual voicemail" is unclear? iPhones are not expected to download an app from the app store so why is an Android? Pixel 3's have visual voicemail built in just like an iPhone. This phone works perfectly, built in visual voicemail and all, on Verizon WITHOUT an app from the play store. Seems like an issue with T-Mobile's visual voicemail network since my phones work on Verizon just fine