Just got update Oct 1st

captcoolhand

I just recieved software update marked Oct 1st. from T-Mobile... but what happened to Septembers and why not November being this is the 1st???

All replies

• captcoolhand

Re: Just got update Oct 1st

I was still working with August.. why is T Mobile so far behind?

• smplyunprdctble

Without you saying what device you have, nobody can tell.

Security updates are once a month from Google.  They are released, and patched into the Google-provided devices (Nexus, Pixel, etc) at this time.  As of this date, October Security Updates is the latest available.

The fact so many devices are supported by a carrier means they have to focus on what they can update and when because the updates have to be tested by the carrier with the carrier integrations.  So, they'll to every other or every third month, depending on the agreement with the manufacturer and availability to test.  Also, in some cases, the manufacturer may not build a security update ROM for an update.  This may be because the files updated aren't affected in the ROM (a customization that excludes them), or they don't feel the update is important enough.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • captcoolhand

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if it's Google, it said T-Mobile software update, but my phone is a Galaxy S7. And if I never received an update for September.(if it was released) Only Garbage update I received was from Nougat to Oreo and that ruin my phone. But that's another story! Thanks for your feedback!

• smplyunprdctble

Google is the creator of Android.  They're the one who puts out any updates to Android.

Then, the base Android developed by Google is pulled by phone manufacturers (e.g. Samsung), and they pull out things they don't want, and add their replacements (e.g. home screen, contacts, etc).

THEN, this Samsung build is controlled by carriers (e.g. T-Mobile), where they put things they want in it (T-Mobile App, custom look and feel, etc).

So, yes, the update (security patch) would have been branded "Samsung" and/or "T-Mobile" when it got to you.

Because there's two more layers after Google puts out an update that anything has to go through before it reaches the consumer, you're not always going to be on the latest patch release unless you're on a Google-based phone (e.g. the new Pixel 3).  You shouldn't be more than a month or two behind (as was your case when you went from August to October).  It all depends on exactly what code was updated by Google (which is published at the start of a month), analysis by the manufacturer to see if they're impacted (if Google Contacts was the only thing patched and Samsung uses their own Contacts app, no update is required), applied and tested through based on carrier availability.

I think I've even seen instances where Verizon and Sprint were on odd month updates and ATT and T-Mobile were on even month updates (or some combination of carriers / months).  It's not that nobody cares about the phones that are out there, it's that there's limited resources to work on updates when the money is really made on new devices.

• syaoran

All firmware updates are provided by the manufactures and not by the carriers.  Even carrier specific devices still come from the device manufacture.  The only exception are Google devices.  Updates come out in waves.  If someone you know gets an update for the same device, that doesn't mean your device will also receive that same update at the same time.  It can take several weeks and sometimes longer for an update to make it to all devices.  Older devices get less frequent updates and legacy devices more than 3 years old from the release date will more than likely not receive updates at all.

1 of 1 people found this helpful