Little to no service at home

gm411

I recently switched to T-Mobile from a different carrier. I drove home, only to find that I have barely any signal and no signal at all in some areas in my house. I checked the coverage map and it says I'm supposed to have Good Signal. This is very frustrating as my phone (Samsung S7) worked perfectly with the previous carrier. I talked to someone through the website's chat and they claimed there is a "modernization" going on in my area to improve the signal, but I've seen that excuse many times before on here. They gave me no information on how long it would last or when I should be noticing a change. The only solution I was given was to purchase the signal booster for my home. I will not be paying more for something that is out of my control and that I have no guarantee is going to work. I'm very dissatisfied.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Little to no service at home

I don't think that T-Mobile sells signal boosters. They lend them with a nominal deposit. One question is if your BYOD S7 is compatible with T-Mobile's current LTE femto-cells (CellSpots). Can you use WiFi Calling on your S7? That's also an option. The S7s are highly customized to be mostly compatible with the carrier that sold them and not so much with other carriers. Even though the hardware was identical, the firmware gives them very different capabilities. For instance, I believe that if yours is a Verizon model, it will not be compatible with T-Mobile's band-12 700 MHz. Some people have been able to reflash T-Mobile's firmware into their S7 but that is beyond the scope of this forum.

• gm411

I was actually on the phone with someone else and they suggested sending a booster at no charge, so I'm going to do that. I have no idea if it's compatible with CellSpots but I do not have the WiFi Calling option, which would be really helpful right now. My phone is indeed from Verizon, I'm sure that's causing some of the issues as well :/

• drnewcomb2

With BYOD devices, you need to understand their limitations and incompatibilities. In the case of the Verizon S7, T-Mobile's signal at your home could actually be quite good but you are just not able to take advantage of it because Verizon disabled band 12 on that phone.

• gm411

So how do I go about fixing that?

• drnewcomb2

Well, as I mentioned earlier, the difference between a Verizon S7 and a T-Mobile S7 is the firmware. Some people have reflashed their phones with T-Mobile firmware but I have no personal experience doing that. Using WiFi calling (if that works with your phone) can help. A signal booster or CellSpot (femto cell) can help and getting a new phone could be an option.

It's unfortunate that carriers crippled their phones this way. T-Mobile's S7s disable CDMA in the firmware. As I understand it, the S9, when unlocked, is pretty much universal.

• magenta6634647

Having same issue.  Contacted support - same response - modernizing tower won't be fnished until Nov 1st. Totally unacceptable.

• tmo_chris

Hey gm411 

Did you get the booster yet?