Tourist 1000 plan in NY?

aggie15

I´ll be in NY from 23.10. Where can I buy that relevant sim card? When I enter the ZIP code of the La Guardia or my hostel, I get the answer ¨not available at your location¨. Or can I go just to any tmobile shop?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Tourist 1000 plan in NY?

You should be able to buy the appropriate kit at any T-Mobile shop. Be aware that the SIM is included in the price of the plan, which is different from most T-Mobile plans. Also, many Eurocentric phones will have very poor performance in NYC due to the way that T-Mobile's frequencies are organized there. Can you tell me the model phone you plan to use?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • aggie15

Thank you for the reply! It's a Samsung A5, which I got in Australia, and I've already checked the compatibility for the package online on here, so I hope it works :-)

• drnewcomb2

There are at least a half dozen different versions of the Samsung A5. According to GSMarena.com, the 2017 Global version (A520F) has UMTS and LTE bands 2 & 4, which should work fine in NYC. If, OTOH, it's the 2014 Global version (A500F) you could be in a bad way. The A500F has UMTS band 2, which is not used in NYC and no LTE bands used by T-Mobile in NYC. So you might want to be a bit more specific about the exact model you have. In theory, GSM (2G) works in NYC but they have cut it down to a very thin layer which is really only reliable for text messages.