Disable all roaming?

magenta6441652

I'm on a service boundary with a non-data roaming partner. It seems the partner is frequently a stronger connection because 2 of my android phones roam over to the partner and get "locked" onto it requiring a ✈ mode toggle to regain a data connection. If I don't have a data connection, I don't want any connection, this is invariable and extremely frustrating. This particular partner is also a company I would never do business with and would prefer T-Mobile not pay on my behalf. What control does T-Mobile have over a phone roaming? What control does T-Mobile have over an individual account roaming to specific partners?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Disable all roaming?

Is this a domestic roaming partner or an international (e.g. Mexican) partner? Most phones, these days, have a "data roaming" switch but it only controls international roaming. Otherwise, have you tried manually selecting T-Mobile, rather than leaving the phone in auto network selection?

Older phones used to have a lot more roaming controls. I remember manually entering the PRL and having controls for both domestic and international data roaming but that was years ago. Today's "smart phones" are really dumb when it comes to network controls.

• magenta6441652

Domestic partner. I have searched for T-Mobile and selected LTE (the strongest tmo network here) but basically every time I put it back in my pocket it roams again. That process also takes quite a while if the phone can't see every network very well.

• drnewcomb2

Don't know. This is under the control of the phone and, as I said, in the old days, phones frequently had better roaming controls. Today's "smart phones" are really dumb when it comes to roaming controls. I recall some older phones if you manually selected a network it would not search for a different network until you told it to.

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm. When you look at our coverage map does it show you're in an area in T-Mobile coverage? Depending on the signal strength there, it could be why the phone is trying to connect to another network. What kind of phone are you using?

• tmo_mike_c

Hi.

Just checking to see if you've read the posts above. Please let us know so we can help out. Thanks.