Poor Data Speed with Good LTE Reception

moetjojo

I recently moved from AT&T to T-Mobile. I have an iPhone 8 purchased from the Apple store, my wife has an iPhone 7 Plus.

We both have been experiencing severe data speed issues which have prevented us from streaming, browsing facebook (images don't load) or even just browsing the internet (pages failing to open). This occurs inside, outside and when we have 3 or 4 bars of LTE. It does occur in multiple areas and at multiple times - my wife frequently experiences problems on the train on the way home from work (it seems around 4-6pm the problems are severe) and also in our immediate neighborhood.

In the immediate neighborhood, I have been able to pinpoint to the exact block(s) where the speed problems occur. Walking outside my house for a 3 block radius, I get severe speed problems (often 0.5Mbps) which then jump to 27 Mbps or so just a few blocks away. There is another spot around 4/5 blocks away where the signal drops again. Interestingly I do seem to get higher non-LTE speeds if I turn LTE off - I can get to 5Mbps as opposed to 0.5Mbps in some cases. I don't want to have to keep flicking this on and off though!

I have had multiple trouble tickets open with technical support, but I am repeatedly told there are no problems, even though it is clear that there are. Is this just a problem with network congestion? It looks like T-Mobile simply doesn't have enough capacity? Each time I open a ticket with technical support, I am told someone will call be back - I have NEVER had a call back after each ticket which is also frustrating! I've spent a lot of time trying to debug this and figuring out in which blocks it works and doesn't work - if this is network capacity it would be great if someone from T-Mobile could just tell me straight up!!! I am in the Lakeview area of Chicago, still well within the city!

I have also tried several times to reset network settings and have changed my SIM!

Trouble Tickets:

Do I just give up and move away to AT&T or Verizon at this point? Unlimited data is only unlimited data if you can use it, right?

I get this terrible speed in a 2 block radius of my house:

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

I get this fast speed just two blocks away:

fullsizeoutput_905.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_904.jpeg

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Poor Data Speed with Good LTE Reception

Hey, moetjojo!

First off, thanks for the high level of detail in your post. I can't tell you how much easier that makes it for us to help out. One of your trouble tickets was actually marked completed yesterday with some helpful feedback (you may not have been contacted about this just yet only because the time of day it was resolved).

Ticket # 21209741 - (this is directly from the Engineer that investigated your trouble ticket) Customer is in decent coverage area. As per the call records we see that user is mostly camped on XXXX (redacted to not share specific location) Beta sector, this cell that serving this location is congested (has been utilized around 90%) from 9:00AM to 10:00PM and hence the speeds are slower due to shared resources. Market has plans to add L700 layer on the serving site by Q4 2018. Also, there are plans to add new site closer to the problem location by Q1 2019. These upcoming projects will improve coverage and also congestion (users will have better speeds).

As far as the other three tickets, I can see why you were getting frustrated because they came back with "no issue found" when clearly there is something going on. The newest ticket which is referenced above definitely confirms your suspicions of congestion, but I'm glad our teams are already on it and have two different solutions headed your way.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.