Personal Identifiable Information

magenta6477881

To whomever it may concern,

To sit here tonight and say I'm upset is putting it mildly.  As a member of the military I was taught for the last 22 years to protect my Personable Identifiable Information and to be aware that we are targeted often as we are often located outside of the country and without access to check our credit reports.

Today I went to upgrade a phone that I have paid off and was asked what my phone's number was which I provided in a store location. I was then asked what my name was and I provided that.  I was then asked for ID and I provided that. My Phone number that i provided was correct the name on the account matched the phone number and the I'd provided proved i was that person.  Your associate then walked off with my ID and photo copied it.  I am not okay with this told him I wasn't okay with this and he said okay here's the photo copy no phone for you.  I would like to know where TMobile's policy makers are thinking.  Why do you think I need to provide a photo copy front and back of my military ID which gives anyone the ability to open any type of acct they want.  Any employee or manager could simply make a secondary copy and take it home, sell it to someone else, put it on the black market, sell it to marketing companies, again it contains so much information even including my medical information.

If your employees can read and write then they should be able to physically verify on the spot without copying my information for future reasons.

If I was to ask your employee for their driver's license I would pretty much guarantee that I would be denied. I would like your employees to provide me their driver's license so that I may then call corporate and verify that they are in fact employee's, that the have no kidding have a local, state, and federal background checks, and then I would like to keep their ID on file for a minimum of 30 days to ensure no fraudulent activity has occurred. After thirty days it will be my discretion as to whether or not I feel safe enough that your employees intentions are not malicious and indeed legit.

In no way would you ever agree to this and just because you demand your customers to do it doesn't make it right.  It's an absurd policy.  I was told today that the store would send it to be shredded via some company after thirty days. You can't guarantee me that that company will shred my PII.  You can't guarantee me that the company you hired doesn't have a bad apple.  Its ludicrous!!!  Tmobile has been hacked already and 2 million plus users were affected.  To tell me a customer that I have to provide a young man or woman whom I never met before and stores that are non corporate and third party owned all my personal information is absurd.

Not sure who makes the policies up there but for the love of God stop asking consumers to put themselves at risk, when you, to your employees, managers, franchise owners would they themselves never ever do!!!

Respectfully Submitted,

All replies

• magentatechie

Re: Personal Identifiable Information

I do want to let you know that I am an employee and I have to submit my ID for copying every time I upgrade a phone on my account. The reason for this is to ensure that I (as the account holder) do authorize the addition of a new payment plan on my account and I will not at a later date be able to claim that I did not want the phone or that it was placed on my account as part of a scam or fraud.

• magenta6477881

Copying someone's personal information as a way to prove that something

upgraded is not fraudulent is a bunch of malarkey. It's not a contract I'm

not signing it. I can just deny it was me and according to tmobile policies

its sent to be shredded after 30 days.  It's a way of harassing someone and

it makes you and anyone else that provides such information vulnerable and

susceptible to fraud. You have in store  camera and you can prove that the

employee physically  he led the I'd.  Leaving your information for the

likes of any employee to take it is just plain dumb.

• tmo_chris

Hey magenta6477881

Thanks for taking the time to post to our community. Please know that we take customer account security very seriously and would never do anything to put that at risk.

At the store, you can refuse to have your ID photo copied but there would need to be a manager approval first. If you would like to visit that store again, you can let the retail representative you speak with know to check internal policy document DOC-415241 for the correct steps to follow if there is a refusal to have the ID photo copied.