Unable to unlock the eligible device

mm_clt

I had purchased Samsung S8 from T-Mobile. After paying off the amount device was unlocked and have been using with other carrier from last few months. I had to send the device back to Samsung to get it repaired. It came back with T-Mobile lock. I tried unlocking it using 'Device Unlock' app installed on the mobile but getting error message that 'Couldn't recognize the device, please contact customer care.'

Its been 5 days of multiple calling, talking to multiple associates, performing different steps suggested by all their associates/tech experts. However, no luck yet. I also tried with T-mobile as well as other carrier's SIM card to perform these steps. With other T-Mobile active SIM device works.

Samsung has confirmed that device has not been rooted and only T-Mobile can unlock it. Every time I speak to customer care and technical expert they request me to hang up to perform something and/or check something and they assure a call back. Till date, not a single executive has called back as promised.

I'm really frustrated and fed up and I think Legal Battle is the only option to get the issue resolved.

All replies

• magentatechie

Re: Unable to unlock the eligible device

Hey there! I'm sorry to hear you're having so many issues getting the phone unlocked!  Have you verified that the IMEI is the same as the device you sent off? As in, is it possible Samsung replaced the phone instead of repairing it?

• mm_clt

Device is same, IMEI is same. T-mobile customer care also confirmed device is same. Was able to pull Samsung and T-mobile guys on the phone together and T-mobile confirmed ONLY they can unlock the phone. They submitted lot of escalation tickets, expedited tickets and assured that they will bypass regular process of unlocking my device using DEVICE UNLOCK app and will get me an unlock code, They also assured call back to check if device unlock worked, no one has called back. Customer care also assured everytime that I'll not get email saying there is NO UNLOCK CODE and it has to be unlocked using DEVICE UNLOCK APP. However, everytime they submit the request I get same email that there is no unlock code and it can be unlocked using DEVICE UNLOCK app only.

I'm planning to share my experience on social media and take legal action against them if T-mobile doesnt solve the issue very soon.

• mm_clt

No, I havent heard anything back yet. They are dodging me by giving some answer that doesnt make sense, disconnecting calls, transferring to Samsung without asking me, by telling me to go to store (store saying we are not tech expersts and cannot do anything). I think it is time to take legal action now, fed up of spending 2-3 hrs daily over the phone and explaining same issue again and again.

• mm_clt

From last two weeks daily spending 2-3 hrs on phone with T-Mobile level 1 and Level 2 customer care. Level 2 is nothing but technical experts which I assume is T-Force. They requested me to trying unlocking device using DEVICE UNLOCK app using active/non-active T-mobile SIM card, ATT sim card, without sim card, with wifi connection, after resetting phone, after clearing DEVICE UNLOCK app data and what not. Nothing worked. Ridiculous, I'm now running out of options.

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm, I'm surprised you've had to call so much. After you told them you completed all those steps, did they have another solution or have any info on the ticket they filed? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna make sure I'm understanding what's going on.

• mm_clt

after trying these things, they either transfer to Tech support, supervervisor or they submit some managerial level escalation ticket. After submitting escalation tickets, everytime they say this time they will bypass whole normal process and provide unlock code.Even if I argue they say this time is different and manager's have ability to bypass 'DEVICE UNLOCK APP' process and I'll get resolution. Then for every such ticket I get email reply that there is no unlock code and it can be unlocked only using DEVICE UNLOCK app.

Then I get more frustrated and call them back with agony. Then whole process starts again, explaining issue-trying-false assurances and all. One time they suggested me to go to retail store and show it to store manager, I did and he started laughing saying what and how can he resolve the issue. Someitme, customer care rep transfer call to Samsung to bring more fun and twist in the game, however, T-Mobile customer care rep agrees that T-Mobile is responsible to provide unlock.

Worst company!

• mm_clt

14684239: Manager level escalation ticket number which was submitted later in the process when first one did not work and this is when I was promised that T-mobile manager level person will bypass DEVICE UNLOCK app process and will give me a solution. This was promised by level 2 Tech support representative Chris (Employee ID: 17754019). This time also Samsung and T-mobile rep were in conference call and T-mobile accepted the responsibility.

14670114: First ticket submitted after I tried device unlock app. After this spoke to lot of customer care rep, Level 2 tech supports, Supervisor. They all came back with difference ideas of resolving the issue but none of it worked. Spent almost 2-3 hrs over the phone as mentioned earlier.

After ticket submission I get auto-mated email from 'ARSystem Notify' that says Unlock Code: 'Device App'.

After the escalation ticket one of the rep told me to go to store and work with manager there. I did that and initially they were surprised but then shown willingness to help. They reached out to leadership, escalated issue to offline team 'MDU Escalation Request'. Offline team put the IMEI in white list and suggested to keep phone switched off for 2 hours. Store manager switched off the phone and then I walked back in after 24 hours. The same store manager switched on and tried but no luck. They called customer care/tech rep 4-5 times, everytime they were told to try out different things by rep on the phone (like they told me), however, no luck. Now store manager is also clue less on what to do.

• tmo_mike_c

Thank you for all this information. It normally doesn't take this much time to get something like this resolved so I'm sorry for the delay. Just so I'm clear, have you reached out to our T-Force team? They're only available through FB and Twitter. I think they can help with getting you more assistance with this. Please let me know if you've contacted them.

• mm_clt

I dont think I have reached out to T-Force team yet. I'm on facebook but not on Twitter, how do I reach out to them? Do I need to explain then again each and every thing?

Is it same like your tech support or level 2 support team? or a different name for those teams?

• tmo_mike_c

They are another team that helps through our social media channels. You can reach them by using this Facebook link.  Give that a shot and let us know if that works.

• mm_clt

Now I tried this option as well. They requested me to try out few options which I had done in the pas. However, I did it this time again. None of them worked, finally T-Force team came back and firmly said THEY CANNOT DO ANYTHING. Now what option do I have left with, other than taking legal action. Do you think T-mobile can resolve the issue or have ability to deal with such technical challenges? I have already paid off my device amount.

Store manager also tried from her end and did not work. She is also completely clueless now. BTW I'm very famous person now and everyone working in the store knows me, THANKS TO T-MOBILE (do I need to say thank you for doing nothing and making my life hell).

Eagerly waiting for your feedback.

• tmo_mike_c

So strange. And I'm sorry this has been such a challenge. Did they say anything about why the unlock didn't go through? Normally an escalation is sent up to sort out the specifics of why an unlock didn't go through. Did they give you any info about that?

• mm_clt

The whitelisted IMEI in some different way and requested me to try again, I went to the store and no luck. Then suggested master reset and it did not work either. Then they said they ran out of the option, I requested them to transfer the chat to manager but no one did.

They suggested me to go third party vendor, pay money to get unlock or check with samsung. Ridiculous!

I called Samsung again and they said T-mobile is the only option. I DO NOT want to pay third party vendor to get it unlock.

Again, what is my option now?

• mm_clt

Now I tried this option as well. They requested me to try out few options which I had done in the pas. However, I did it this time again. None of them worked, finally T-Force team came back and firmly said THEY CANNOT DO ANYTHING. Now what option do I have left with, other than taking legal action. Do you think T-mobile can resolve the issue or have ability to deal with such technical challenges? I have already paid off my device amount.

Store manager also tried from her end and did not work. She is also completely clueless now. BTW I'm very famous person now and everyone working in the store knows me, THANKS TO T-MOBILE (do I need to say thank you for doing nothing and making my life hell).

Eagerly waiting for your feedback.

• mm_clt

The whitelisted IMEI in some different way and requested me to try again, I went to the store and no luck. Then suggested master reset and it did not work either. Then they said they ran out of the option, I requested them to transfer the chat to manager but no one did.

They suggested me to go third party vendor, pay money to get unlock or check with samsung. Ridiculous!

I called Samsung again and they said T-mobile is the only option. I DO NOT want to pay third party vendor to get it unlock.

Again, what is my option now?

• prat1k

I had the similar issue with Samsung Galaxy S9 that I bought recently. I transferred all the apps from my old LG G4 to this phone and sure enough, all the app data got copied, which included device unlock log of my LG G4. So, the device unlock app said that my phone is permanently unlocked. On checking the history, it said that the phone was unlocked in 2017! (S9 was non-existent then!)

So, I cleared the app data of Device Unlock App by going to SETTINGS > APPS > DEVICE UNLOCK > STORAGE > CLEAR DATA and voila, now the app had an option to unlock the phone!

Samsung advised to clear phone cache, which may be helpful in your case.

To clear device cache:

1. Power off the device

2. Press power, home and volume up button simultaneously

3. When menu pops up, use volume down to go to "wipe cache partition" and hit power

4. confirm "Yes" by volume down and then power

5. Reboot system by hitting power button

6. Go to device unlock app

Hope this helps!
                                      Pratik