Hurricane took power, but not tower

snn555

Lost power but not TMobile.

Speeds took a hit for 2 hours, but never lost signal or ability to call or text.

I know it wasn't all TMO, the hurricane was selective and didn't take out my tower, but engineers got speeds back right and fast quickly.

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Hurricane took power, but not tower

Happy to hear our towers withstood the power of Mother Nature. How'd everything else hold up?

• snn555

All is well however this ancient historical district over here that I live in has trees that are equally as old and have all fallen over on everything. none the less we don't have power but at least a cool front has moved in. Other than that I've already cleared my entire yard of Limbs and debris.

• tmo_amanda

Hopefully not a ton of damage was done to your area but it sounds like you've already been cleaning stuff up. While I haven't had to live through a hurricane (thank you New Mexico weather), it's nice to have an "outside connection" when everything else isn't working. Glad we had your back with signal even if it was a bit slow for a period.

• drnewcomb2

There's a lot that can go wrong in a storm besides for loss of power. In other words, a lot of thing have to function properly for a cellular site to do its job.  Loss of backhaul is the second big risk.

• snn555

Download speeds dropped down to 1 to 2 megabits per second and upload was pretty much nil. However being able to make and receive calls and text with data despite it being slow is much better than the cable company which has no internet and would not be usable anyway unless I had power.

• em_just_helping

WOW!!!

Someone who is actually NOT complaining posted....

Now, THAT is rare.....

• snn555

I pretty much stood by TMobile as far as my service and performance Is concerned. I've had my fair share of customer service issues No Doubt. But when you don't have power internet food water clean clothes and the usual necessities of life having a fully charged phone and battery chargers with working cell phone service with full phone text and data deserves a shout-out. Times like this is the main reason I have recommended TMobile to all of the naysayers in my area who are die-hard Verizon believers.  Truth of the matter is that any number of towers in my area could have gone down and some probably did however despite that and also figuring all of the refugees coming from Florida through my state also using the service and pretty much doubling the usage and dividing the capacity I'm pretty well stoked about the fact that I still had service of any kind.

• snn555

Pretty much all of my Verizon neighbors and friends and family complained of some sort of inability to call text or use data at some point during the past 2 days. They all looked at me sideways when I told them I did not have that problem.

• drnewcomb2

Generally, whenever there's a disaster, everyone wants to get on the phone and "process their feelings". This creates tremendous congestion, which slows things down, which creates anxiety, which creates a greater demand to "process feelings". It's a vicious cycle. Generally, a text saying, "I'm OK" or "Bring ice, fresh lettuce and two chainsaws when you come." is  all that's needed. After Katrina, the connections between phone networks were broken. You couldn't call from a landline to a mobile or between mobile operators, but texts worked. This was before everyone gave their mobile numbers to everyone else, only to close friends and family. When we learned that texts worked, everyone started texting cell numbers to everyone else, with messages like "Use the text, Luke."  It worked until things got sorted out.