I have multiple G5 in the company I work for and not issues so far with Oreo update.
Go to apps, and search for Google Play Store and Google Play Services.
On each app, go to storage and "clear cache" and "clear data".
This will reset apps as it was just installed in a new phone. It will update to latest version in a couple of hours.
Second option is to access phone in safe mode to see if you get the same issues.
- With the device turned on, press and hold the Power key.
- Tap and hold Power off.
- Review the message and tap TURN ON.
- The device will power off and restart in safe mode.Swipe the screen to unlock the device.
- To turn off safe mode, swipe down the Status bar.
- Tap the Safe Mode Is On notification.
- Tap TURN OFF.The phone will power off and restart.
- The device will reboot into normal mode.
I had already tried clearing the cache and clearing the data. That did not help. I rebooted in Safe Mode, and Google Play Services continues to crash repeatedly even in safe mode.
Have you tried clearing the Cache in Recovery Mode?
This SHOULD always be the second step after going through a major Android update like you did. This erases any left-over from the update done.
This step will not erase files or apps, it will erase SAVED passwords and logins, so all your games and online apps will need to be signed in again. DO NOT do this step if you are not sure of our passwords.