Why is my down payment so high?

calimoss

I've been with TMO for years and NEVER once had a late payment. I've had JOD since the iPhone 5 and jumped ever since with $0 down. now since last year the iPhone X they were asking or a $280.00 downpayment. Thats absolutely absurd! I like to get every new iPhone when they come out which is aligned perfectly with how my lease ends, Now the new iPhone XS is out and its the same freakin thing! ($279.00 for 64GB XS) it does not make financial sense to put anything down on a phone that I have to return anyway and have proven to do so in great condition. Even if unforeseens were to happen, THEY CHARGE YOU! To ad insult to injury I saw a customer on here that made a post saying his down payment was $99.00 for the XS. Now why wouldn't mine at least be that? I've got great credit. Proof of income. also, a loyal customer. Anytime I ask anyone from The chat or on the phone support, they give me the same run around about how its a superphone and more expensive. Yeah thats all fine and good, but I don't keep these phones long enough to make that hefty downpayment worth it. there has got to be something that can be done about this. I'm 100% on time with ANY and EVERY payment I have and can provide proof and everything.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Why is my down payment so high?

Did you go through with the process?  The $280 down is a general statement and they say it as a just in case you don't qualify for the lower amount.  Imagine the uproar by people if they said $99 down all the time and 85% of people didn't qualify.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • calimoss

I've asked what my price would be to JOD and they give me the breakdown which is $279.00 for "well qualified" customers. It's BS if you ask me. It doesn't sit right with me at all. They're even saying now that ONLY the older iPhone X (last years) phone isn't eligable for a JOD upgrade.

• calimoss

And I doubt its a blanket statement like you're suggesting. I've argued with so many reps about this and they say theres nothing they can do and blah blah blah.

• tidbits

Just go through the process and find out.  This is the same thing people were complaining about with the Note 9 and the ones that did qualify had to get down to the point they were about ready to pay and the rep said...  Oh wait it's not $280 down for you it's $99 or something along those lines.

They are right there is nothing they can do, because it not up to them to set the prices.  Only the little computer going through the process can make that decision.

• tmo_mike_c

I wish I had more info to offer but it sounds like you've already been informed about the cost of this phone being the reason why there isn't a $0 down option. As for what down payment you qualify for, I agree, that going through the process will be the best bet on getting exactly what you'd pay if you choose to get this device. With out account access, we're unable to see that here, but our Team of Expert folks can help give you more info if you reach out to them using the options on our Contact Us page.