3-4 bars but absolutely 0 internet

kjsuddarth

Hello,

T-mobile customer currently commuting from Fremont to south Oakland, right near the Oakland airport. Service has been shoddy since day 1 but reliable streaming available as long as I choose below 360p on YouTube for podcasts. Connection is fantastic in Fremont, nothing but full bars, 50mbps speed everything is hunky dory.

Oakland is a nightmare though, bars never really go below 3, sometimes two if I'm in the center of my workplace, but I work at the back with a door to outside about 10 feet away from me. Despite the bars never going down past 3 I get absolutely no internet connection, LTE symbol looking at cheeky as ever next to the bars. Sometimes turning my mobile data on and off will do the trick for about 30 seconds until the network decides to crap out again, most of the time it doesn't. Switching from LTE to standard 4G will work for another 30 seconds; until the network decides to display that nice little E symbol and then no connectivity yet again.

I notice it far less but when I start my commute home I will suddenly get texts from friends and family asking me why I didn't answer their calls, so it turns out I'm not even getting the calls I should. The coverage map says "good coverage" where my work is, I understand that inside will be less reliable coverage but even going outside for a break yields absolutely no results; my search engine page says "cannot connect" Reddit won't load, and even my speedtest times out when its trying to find a server.

This is abysmal coverage and I'm sick of it, 2 of my coworkers with T-mobile have told me they're in the same boat. Some days we may be able to get that "beautiful" 144p streaming, but days like today it just completely tanks beyond broken.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: 3-4 bars but absolutely 0 internet

Ah shucks that's a bummer but we do wanna see you get better service there. What kind of phone are you using? We can double check your APN settings but if this is happening with other phones in that area, we may need to have our Team of Experts file a Service Complaint for that address. That'll get engineers to check out what causing this and help get it resolved.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_mike_c

Hi again.

Have you checked your APN settings? Please let us know what phone you're using if you still need help find those settings.

• kjsuddarth

Hello, sorry for the very late reply

Didnt respond to this because

1. I thought my phone was causing the problems as it was a blu vivo 5r and

2. I found a workaround by selecting only 3g/4g in my network settings instead of 2g/3g/4g/LTE

However now I have immensely upgraded my setup by purchasing a oneplus 6t A6010 and I am having the same problem with a little more feedback. my youtube will allow me to stream podcasts and such for about 30 minutes at a time, then my playback will stop and after about 5 minutes of restarting my app and checking other apps for troubleshooting I will see a little "!" symbol next to my data signal indicating that I have no data, even if my signal icon is at full bars.

I always have my APN settings at the default fast.tmobile.com and sometimes redundantly setting the settings to default works, but most of the time i happen to get lucky by going outside and my signal will start to miraculously work again.

Hope some of this feedback helps and again, sorry for the late reply.

• drnewcomb2

Did you mention what phone you are using?