keep AppleCare after canceling PDP/Protection<360>?

myount

So, I purchased my iPhone 8 Plus last year through JUMP.  When the iPhone XS Max was announced I decided to upgrade and (try to) get off the yearly device upgrade treadmill I had previously been on with Android phones (I would have done this a year earlier with the iPhone X, but I tend to avoid the first revisions of new hardware), and I further decided to pay off the EIP and give my 8 Plus to a friend who is limping along with a 5-year-old Android 4.4 phone with a battery that lasts about 12 hours on a charge.

Now, I got the XS Max through the iPhone Upgrade Program (JUMP required a down payment for the XS Max; iUP didn't), which also includes AppleCare.  So I don't see the necessity of keeping PDP (or Protection<360> as I guess it's now called) on my line.  However, according to the terms, AppleCare protection will be canceled if I cancel Protection<360> ("Covered Devices are eligible for AppleCare services ... as long as You maintain this Service Contract uninterrupted on Your Apple-branded Covered Device.").  This would be fine, but as I said I'm giving this phone to a friend and in theory there's still 14 months of AppleCare left on it that I'd like to transfer to my friend along with the phone.  Does anyone know if there's a way that I can do this even after canceling Protection<360>?

Covered Devices are eligible for AppleCare services ... as long as You maintain this Service Contract uninterrupted on Your Apple-branded Covered Device.

All replies