My number is being spoofed

magenta6302722

My number is being spoofed and people are calling me claiming my number called them. What should I do?

All replies

• snn555

Re: My number is being spoofed

I would recommend first having a good caller ID app so that you know who's calling and if you don't know who's calling don't answer it. If they send a text or leave a voicemail just block that number using the same caller ID app or your phone's Dialer app. Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do to stop this.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
        • em_just_helping

Here:

Calling services

This should give you some options

Nmae ID and Scam block should help

• magenta6313682

Someone explain how any of these prevent someone from spoofing your number when they call other people. I believe the OP is stating that THEIR phone number is being used without their consent to call people, resulting in the call backs being described 

• snn555

BUT...since you can't stop that, you can try to stop the folks calling you.

• em_just_helping

Precisely

If spoofers really want your number, there is no way you can stop them... They can get it from banks, schools, your work, your friends, especially your enemies (someone may be writing your phone number on a bathroom wall this very minute!)  or even mail you just throw away in the trash!

So, Name ID allows you to block their numbers one by one, till they quit....

Or change numbers. But that will be a great deal of work calling or texting out to people.

• tmo_mike_c

I'd just like to add that the spoofing can be reported using the steps on our Help with scams, spam, and fraud  page. Sorry this is happening. I'm actually dealing with this myself so I understand what you're going through.

• philscell

Are any of these replies from an official T-Mobile tech support team member?  My number seems to be getting spoofed as well.  It raises questions regarding how secure T-Mobile's network is, and the possibility of other breaches that may be lurking within their network and service.

• andreariklinshcolnik

So has my husband's!  People are calling and yelling at him when he says he didn't call.  There should be a way to keep people from spoofing real numbers.

• drnewcomb2

There should be but I'm afraid that fraud was not a consideration when the caller ID system was invented.  It has nothing to do with T-Mobile's security. The spoofed numbers have been selected randomly, often in the same CO prefix (first 3 digits) as the target number because people will normally answer local calls. I know no one in my CO prefix group so I've set my phone to auto-reject any call with the first three digits the same as mine.

• jay@thewards.net

This happened to me today. Someone called me claiming that I called them, an that they were returning my call. Annoying!

As it was said above, there is nothing that you can do until/unless the whole caller ID system is redesigned.

Well, I suppose that the one thing we can do is to pressure T-Mobile to participate in the effort to stop telemarketers from abusing the phone system.

• drnewcomb2

jay@thewards.net wrote:

Well, I suppose that the one thing we can do is to pressure T-Mobile to participate in the effort to stop telemarketers from abusing the phone system.

I don't think any pressure is necessary. T-Mobile is onboard for blocking telemarketers.

• jay@thewards.net

The problem is that the caller ID system is not fixable. It's part of an international standard, covered by multiple patents, and can never be altered such that it cannot be spoofed. What is needed is a new standard that includes encrypted identity. It would require new hardware and/or firmware in all phones, switching equipment, PBX's, etc. It remains to be seen if T Mobile's "STIR/SHAKEN" system would actually work in this specific scenario. BTW, this new system requires a new phone. Currently only supported on Galaxy S9 and later...

• eh2zee

Hello T-Mobile staff. This issue is NOT resolved. T-Mobile is the carrier. T-Mobile routes call to my phone through their network. It is T-Mobile's problem to fix.

See my post on Facebook:

"My mobile phone number has been hijacked and is now used in a caller-id spoof for telemarketing robo-blasts. I am getting 100+ calls just in one day, most leaving irate - and rude - voicemails about me spamming. 

"I called the T-Mobile support line and they give me techno-jibberish telling me there is nothing that they will do to address this issue.

"As I see it, it's T-Mobile delivering the call via their service to my number. They should fix it. Not me."

I have called the "611-Experts" 5 times without resolution. What will T-Mobile do about this?
                                The automated billing works flawlessly, however.
                                  • drnewcomb2

The whole US caller ID system has no security, Anyone with a small amount of know-how can spoof the caller ID of any number. Yours just happened to have been picked. T-Mobile is working to assure that calls you receive have non-spoofed number but can't control what other carriers do.