Binge on data usage

headdog820

I have had the simple choice plan with 2GB of data for a number of months.  T-Mobile prominently displays that I have "BINGE ON" for my account and that data used for streaming sites (Pandora, MLB.TV) WILL NOT COUNT towards my data.  I told that to my family members.

THAT IS A SCAM

It does count towards your data.  I watched a baseball game using my MLBTV account on my phone where I do not have internet access.  After 2GB my data switched to SLOW useless data and I could no longer follow the game (quality was like the old "Pong" video game).  I got a message that I had EXCEEDED my data.

All you get from "Binge On" is they do not charge you for additional CRAPPY data AFTER you use up the 2GB you paid for.  That is a non-service.  EVERYONE in the nation that I know gets "free", slow data (3G or lower) AFTER they use up their monthly allotment.  So I get NOTHING.

------------------------------------------------------------

T-mobile One customers get UNLIMITED data for $30 a month (4 lines advertised) but they will not let me switch my three phones for $30 a month (they want $140 plus tax).

Binge ON is a scam for people like me and should not be CLAIMED on my account as a benefit.  I should receive some compensation for this FALSE ADVERTISING.

BEWARE OF T-MOBILE

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Binge on data usage

Binge On

T-Mobile's documentation says data for Binge On with a plan less than 3GB all streaming counts.

What you get from Binge On is the data stream is lowered down to 480p instead of 1080p, reducing the data usage significantly, meaning you can stream a lot more than if you didn't have Binge On enabled.  So, maybe you get 10 hours of video streaming at 480p instead of 2.5 hours at HD (hypothetical numbers based on absolutely no maths).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • headdog820

Well at least that explains what "Binge on" is providing me (a 480p feed in place of the 1080p feed when I select one) until I reach 2GB when it goes to SH%T.  It was not explained very well and even though I knew that 3GB data was needed (per their description for data not counting) it also said music streaming was unlimited and MLB.TV so that is what i expected.

I know now it still counts, but I maintain it is misleading advertising & confusing (a.k.a. a SCAM in the since it is "hiding" the fact that I will lose my data for the month using the "unlimited data" for MLBTV streaming).

Otherwise I was happy with T-Mobile (until now) and had rarely (if ever) exceeded my 2GB intentionally.  I would not have tried it with any video stream, just MLBTV, where they advertised it did not count (except for lucky 2GB users).

No need to respond. -- Rob

• magentatechie

I am so sorry that you're experiencing this disappointment.  I think there may be some confusion as to what Binge On benefit you have based on your account. 

Binge On in and of itself is network enhancement designed to stretch your data by automatically streaming at a lower resolution when it is turned on and you have access to this regardless of the amount of data attached to your plan.  Now, only if you have a paid 3GB or higher plan, do you have access to the Unlimited Video Streaming benefit.  I'll give you an example of "paid" 3GB or higher plan; I currently have the grandfathered 4/$100 with 2.5GB data, that had a promotional "bump" to 4 GB until 2/2019.  While it is true that I do have more than 3GB of data on my lines, I am not eligible for the streaming benefit because I'm not paying extra for the additional data.  (Except on one line where I increased to 10GB of data, that line does have the unlimited video streaming feature)

Binge On

As far as the 4/$140 plan, this was a promotional rate that ended on 9/25.  It involved having at least 2 lines on an existing account, adding a line, and receiving a monthly bill credit for the 4th line (so 2 lines would have to be added in order to get the "free" line).  The $140 price was after an autopay discount of $5 per line, the non-autopay price would have been $160 for the 4 lines. 

• barcodeable

3GB and above get unlimited Streaming with BingeOn activated.

2GB and below get 3x more video streaming with BingeOn activated.

I have three 2GB mobile internet lines... and I can testify I have never had unlimited video streaming on the device. i have two 6GB mobile internet lines that are eligible for the unlimited video streaming when BingeOn is activated (it works). Ontheotherhand, 2GB plans are included to get unlimited music via the services like Pandora, napster, etc., maybe that‘s where the confusion came about. Unlimited music is a great benefit....

16F40FA7-390F-426A-B08A-7F04202E8113.png8

• headdog820

Yes, if the music data is truly unlimited.  It uses data a lot slower so I have NEVER been sure that the same thing would not happen if I can EVER stream that much music (not happened since being a T-Mobile customer I can tell you that)!!

Anybody besides T-Mobile employees on this thread?

• barcodeable

Anybody besides T-Mobile employees on this thread?

To my knowledge only T-Mobile employee on this thread was magentatechie .

Although I have read many great post by smplyunprdctble , he is not a T-Mobile employee either.

And I wouldn’t call the 2GB data plan a scam, because that plan is suitable for most people. I enjoy my 2GB plan, I chose that plan specifically for my particular needs and I am happy with it.

This thread as you stated was written as something else, but T-Mobile reps changed it to “BINGE ON DATA USAGE”. I dont work for T-Mobile... but I am happy they changed the title because it is  more concise at the current title as opposed to the original title, because millions of people search these threads for answers and solutions to their particular problems. “Binge on for 2GB data users is a SCAM.  What do you get except CRAPPY data after you burn up your 2GB on "free" streaming sites.” Is a bunch of words and slang language to digest.  If someone from another country reads ‘CRAPPY data’ they may not fully understand your message.

If you are unhappy with the 2GB data plan the 6GB data plan may be suitable for your needs. Im very sorry you were given half truths about the 2GB data plan. And I know you may think I am a T-Mobile employee, but that’s not the case.... I just genuinely try to help others make decisive decisions about their. cellular plan (whether it was with T-Mobile or not). Unfortunately I havn’t found another cellur company that can match T-Mobile’s  prices for mobile internet lines... If i did, I would move all 5 of my tablet lines to that new company with a lower price....

Would a T-Mobile employee say that?

• headdog820

Look, I'm glad for you that you are happy.  I WAS happy until my data got cut off streaming my "free" MLBTV data that is really not free.  I think we can agree that it is not PROMINENTLY obvious that 2GB customers with Binge On can expect their "free data" to count towards their 2GB limit.  I would not have done it otherwise and I am an EE with an advanced degree who "anally" checks the fine print but still missed it.  I see only two choices.  Either I am a stupid idiot who cannot read and understand simple language OR the simple language (and web pages they take you through) is deceptive and intended to "hide" the fact that "free data" using Binge On on 2GB plans is not free.  If you don't agree with me that is OK.  I choose the word SCAM because that is what I feel that type of deceptive practice should be labelled (so it does not occur again in the future).  I doubt I am the ONLY T-Mobile customer that got misled, but maybe choice #1 is the correct one!

P.S.  You still sound a little like a T-Mobile employee, even if you are not.  They are a corporation and they exist only to make money for themselves.  Don't loose sight of that fact.  It is a lesson that would be best to learn as soon as possible (to save you time and money going forward).

• smplyunprdctble

if you're talking about reading fine print, every carrier does it.

I'm currently in "heated discussions" with AT&T because they're claiming something is in their rules as to why I can't get the HBO option they advertise, but they can't point me to documentation that says it's a rule.

T-Mobile is very open about their policies and how they work.

• barcodeable

lol.... i will admit... at times I do sound like a T-Mobile rep.... but if you read majority of my post, you will see i talked negatively toward T-Mobile many times.

I will also admit when it comes to being transparent with their cellular plans... T-Mobile and all of the other carriers need to improve in that area.

It’s very confusing when it comes to “BingeOn”. I also was confused initially regarding the BingeOn feature, but i investigated more and more... i believe I have several post regarding “BingeOn”.... It should be BingeOn or nothing.... but they advertise BingeOn works differently with 3GB+ as opposed to 2GB and below.

T-Mobile ONE Plan is also confusing.... T-Mobile ONE Plan is noticeably not one plan .... but several plans with different features and services and prices.

but back to the details of your previous post, I doubt T-Mobile will give you any money back, but if they do that would be great but highly unlikely.

2GB of 4G LTE data is not ideal to stream videos.... because after the 2GB is exhausted.... your data speed gets reduced to 2G or 3G speeds based on your plan.

lastly, they should be more clear regarding features and services they offer. But you indeed will have to always read the fineprints to be 100% knowledgeable of what you are really signing up for.

• barcodeable

Here is a previous post by me regarding the unclearness of “BingeOn” by T-Mobile.

Are 4 lines minimum required to keep the popular T-Mobile BingeOn Free Video Service

so I do understand your view.

• headdog820

Please note the name of this thread was:

Binge on for 2GB data users is a SCAM.  What do you get except CRAPPY data after you burn up your 2GB on "free" streaming sites.

Someone at T-Mobile changed the thread name to "Binge On Data Usage";

Guess they can edit these threads anyway they want to in order to make T-Mobile sound great.  Yea.  Go T-Mobile.  Limit my 2GB data.   How about sending me a refund for all the UNUSED data on my account?  Still sounds and feels like a "SCAM" to me.

Where is John?  Probably traveling the world spending the money he makes from screwing the small customers out of their unused data.