IPhone X BYOD Replacement - Incorrect Model

magenta6276636

I brought my two IPhone X’s to T-mobile from Verizon in May, as part of the Get Out of the Red promotion. When signing up, we were told our phones could be insured through BYOD Premium Device Protection Plus, for $15/month. Well fast forward to now and my husband has lost his phone, so I filed a claim with Assurant.  Everything seemed to be going fine, except when I received the tracking number it statedthey were sending out the Apple iPhone X - model A1901, not the model we had, which was the fully unlocked GSM/CDMA version - model A1865.  Model A1865 (the CDMA/GSM model) also has a Qualcomm chip which reviews have shown gets a better signal. I called Assurant and they stated that was all they had and they only provide a comparable model.  However to me that model isn’t comparable, because with the replacement model, we lost the ability to use the phone on any network or to access 3G or 2G signal in areas that do not have LTE.  I just want the replacement phone to have the same capabilities of the phone we had.  Assurant says they won’t provide a cash replacement credit because as far as they are concerned it’s a similar phone.  But it’s very frustrating that we intentionally set out with phones that we knew we could use on any network and now we are being locked down to the T-mobile model. Is there anything you can do?  If T-Mobile or Assurant cannot provide me with the replacement for the phone that I had, I would be willing to take a credit so I can purchase the same version from the Apple store.  Thank you!

From iPhone X - Technical Specifications - Apple (ZA)

• Model A1865*
    • FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)
    • TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)
    • TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
    • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    • Model A1901*
    • FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)
    • TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)
    • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

All replies

• tmo_chris

Hey magenta6276636 

I am sorry to hear that your replacement experience was not what you had expected Assurant will do everything they can to replace your device with the exact same make/model but it does depend on the stock that they have. If they do not have that specific device, as per their terms and conditions, the device will be replaced with something of like type and quality.

• magenta6276636

Thanks for your response Chris.  For our situation, it wasn't acceptable to replace the GSM/CDMA version of the Iphone X with the GSM only version.  I visited the Apple store and they agreed that my device should have been replaced with the same model but there was nothing they could do since T-Mobile issued the coverage.  I went to a T-Mobile store and the very nice representative there understood as well and tried to get someone from T-Mobile customer care to help, but to no end.  Unfortunately since it was imperative to us that we retain the GSM/CDMA version, we had no choice but to cancel our T-Mobile service and move to another carrier that offers the unlocked GSM/CDMA versions.  We completed the transfer to the new carrier yesterday.  I am sorry T-Mobile could not understand that for some customers the "like model" answer just doesn't work.  I would have been happy to take a credit from Assurion, as they state in their policy documents that they have the ability to do, however they refused to do so because they considered it a "like model" and do not carry the GSM/CDMA version.  The only option Assurion gave me was to send an email and I would receive a response within 24 hours.  I did send the email but never received a response from Assurion.  Unfortunately T-Mobile lost a customer due to this mishap, so I hope I can be a cautionary tale to anyone bringing over their unlocked GSM/CDMA Iphones from Verizon.  Word of Caution - when you are offered the BYOD premium device protection at T-Mobile - be aware that if you ever need to file a claim your replacement will not be the unlocked CDMA/GSM model that you purchased.  I hope that T-Mobile can be more forthcoming and upfront with this information with their future customers.