Android 8.0 Oreo update battery issue

magenta3903539

My family downloaded the new android 8.0 update on our Samsung galaxy j7prime phones and now our batteries charge very slowly and as soon as it comes off the charger it drains really fast. My phone was at 45% and was on the charger for 5 hrs to only find it at 70%..How do we fix this!!!!

All replies

• philippejj0421

Same problem here.

Started right after installing the latest Android update on Sept 22nd 2018 (Rev J727TUVU3BRH3)

Since, I have the battery that drains in 5 hours, it won't charge beyond 87% and the J7 gets really hot.

Needless to say that before the update, everything was working fine. And I have not installed anything new. (In case someone asks)

Anyone from the T-Mobile Android team monitoring  these messages?

Is there a way to roll back the update?

• snn555

Re: Android 8.0 Oreo update battery issue

No way to roll back.

Backup everything and factory reset.

• magenta3903539

I also noticed I'm not being notified of new messages or emails.

• palmerscuddet

Same problem but mine will only charge to 88 max

• palmerscuddet

I may have found a temporary solution for the problem if you shut it down it will get to 100 and charge it

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • snn555

While that's temporary it would be helpful to have a permanent fix.

• johninpa

Not only does my battery not charge, I no longer seem to be able to connect to cell networks that had a strong signal prior to the update.  Looks like another crappy update, and will be backing up and resetting this evening.

• joe1994

Unfortunately the Oreo update seems to have a bug that effects battery life of whatever device it is installed in. Unfortunately the only temporary fix is a factory reset (I have done several) my solution now is to constantly charge it.

• snn555

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say that every device with Oreo has a bug in it since I've had Oreo 8.1 since June on my Moto X4 and I have had better battery life.

• joe1994

You have been lucky. It seems every time I visit this forum or others people are posting about issues with Oreo and battery life.

• snn555

well to be fair anytime there's an update  whether it's an OS update or just a security patch update everybody pitches a fit about battery life.

• philippejj0421

Well, you can call it "a fit", but when fairly technically savvy people see their battery life go from 12 hours to 4 hours following an update, I think this is a good reason to throw a fit.

• Yes, after the update, I checked every 3rd party app installed to see if there was an update pending.
                                      • Yes, I checked the day following the update to see if there was an update to the update available
                                      • Yes, I ran the optimization app. It estimated my battery life to be 14 hours
                                      • Yes, I disabled localization which is a notorious battery glutton
                                      • Yes, I disabled notification on everything but SMS (And I am using the built-in Samsung SMS and the built-in Samsung email client)
                                      • Yes, I removed apps that are known to be CPU hogs (Facebook, Twitter and a few others are gone)

The only workaround I found so far is to turn the "Battery Power Saving" on. The heat problem is under control now.

• ddevorki

My wife and I are also having this issue.  I went into the store and they said all they can do is give me a warranty replacement phone.  I did that and did not install the new update for a few days and the phone worked perfectly.  Now that I've installed the update I'm back to battery issues again.  I called customer service and all they can say is they can send me another warranty replacement....  not helpful.  I guess I can just get the warranty replacement and never install the update??? 

• johninpa

Somewhere in this thread, a writer suggested turning off the phone and charging to 100%, that it was a temporary fix. I did that two nights ago, and the phone is again working normally, in fact seems to be a little faster. I would encourage you to try this fix.

• snn555

The long and short of this issue is that if no temporary fix works then waiting for an update from the manufacturer is most likely the best option. You can go the warranty replacement route however the update will Auto install at some point.

• philippejj0421

*BIG NEWS: I FIXED IT!*

I did a factory reset and not only did the problem go away, but it works great: I only lost 5% of the battery between 9am and 2pm (!!!!)

The situation had become unsustainable: Last night, the battery was discharging faster than it was charging. (I plugged my J7 with 32% battery remaining, I came back 30 min later, it was was down to 24%, still showing that it was charging (???).

So, I shut the J7 down and let it charge the whole night (it only charged to 82%) then turned it back on and did the factory reset.

All my apps and files were recovered from the backup (I do the Samsung automatic daily backup).

Now, everything is back to normal. I just have to re-enter all the passwords to log back into my apps.

• ddevorki

Let us know if this is a permanent fix.  I did the same thing and it seemed to work for a day and now I am having the same issues again.

• philippejj0421

Thanks, I'll let you know. So far, so good - it has been 24 hours.

However, I have found a new behavior: I used to be able to charge my J7 from any USB charger I had in the drawer: iPhone, Nokia, even from the Nikon camera. Now, it only charges fast if connected to either the notebook or the Samsung charger - any other way is excruciatingly slow (like 5% per hour).

I am still monitoring.

Me too. After Oreo update, battery levels seem to report incorrectly.  The level of full charge has been anywhere from 70% to 100%.  One time it charged to 88% - I power it off, pulled the battery and waited a few minutes, installed battery and powered back up and the phone displayed 100% battery.  That trick has not worked again.  Tonight I will thy the charge while powered off trick...

I'll let you guys know.   I've also started a chat with t-mobile....

It's not Twilight.

As posted elsewhere in this thread, Oreo is not allowing some 3rd party chargers to charge the phone.  The J7 Prime before Oreo would charge from any device, but charge faster from a Samsung Rapid Charger.  I was okay with that...

Now my phone indicates charging from my alarm clock, but doesn't charge or charges very slowly...   It charges normally from laptops PCs and some usb hubs, and charges fast from the Samsung Rapid Charger.

Thanks for the negative update Samsung...

• philippejj0421

OK, I confirm that since the Oreo update, my J7 no longer charges on non-Samsung branded chargers :-(.

The icons shows that it is charging, but after 6 hours, it only increased by 5%. (that's 1% per hour)

You need to plug it in a computer is you cannot find your original charger.

I am going to open a new thread about that.

I don't expect any fix soon, but I am still going to rattle the cage.

I use app Twilight to reduce blue light during night reading.  It appears that with 8.1, when Twilight is active, the battery doesn't charge.  The battery icon indicates charging, but it doesn't.  Yup, pretty weird.  Oh wow, response from Twilight while I was typing...

So I think if you are running an app that does overlay, your battery won't charge.

Urbandroid TeamSeptember 30, 2018

Hello, it seems Google has intentionally disabled overlay apps to draw over the lockscreen and notification shades in Android O. There does not seem to be a fix for this. See here for details.. https://goo.gl/S4vZHG For details on this and other Oreo compatibility issues please contact

• philippejj0421

It has been almost 3 days since my full factory reset - I am pleased to say that the phone is working fine.

The performance seems to be better than before the update and the battery usage is excellent (almost 36 hours on full charge).

However, the problem is that now, the J7 won't charge on 3rd party chargers (it used to). I need to either use the Samsung charger or plug the J7 into the USB port of a notebook or a battery pack. With the 3rd party chargers, the battery icon shows that it is charging, but the charging rate is ~ 1% per hour.

By comparison, when plug into the notebook, it is almost 30% per hour.

This is annoying: It was great to be able to use any charger when traveling. No more.