Booster unit drops the signal during rush hour

duhmel

I have tried for over 2 months without success to get a Booster to consistently work.  I have T-mobile Dual + units.  I have used them on Band 4 and also modified to work on Band 12 after contacting CelFi.  During much of the day I get the window unit to lock to the incoming signal and the booster units to connect to the window units.  However during the evening rush hours my window unit drops the signal.  I am near a toll road and the nearest base station is between my house and the toll road.  I get the same performance on Bands 4 and 12 (after applying the Celfi software patch) and placing the window unit at various positions within the house.  The window unit will usually reconnect to the base station over night but sometimes I need to disconnect it for a few hours to get it to reconnect.  I imagine that the fundamental problem is lousy T-Mobile coverage during rush hour but I am open to any suggestions.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Booster unit drops the signal during rush hour

Does this also happen when you're not using the signal booster? The reason I ask is because the device is designed to push what signal you get from our towers into the home. This will help us determine if we should focus on your booster or the coverage in the area.

• duhmel

The signal drops out even with nobody home around AM and PM rush hours. Even with the booster, at those times my connection is made through WiFi calling.  The booster does raise Band 2 3G but I have found that if my LTE service falls away the phone doesn’t move over to 3G but goes to no service. When I was with Verizon the phone would stay connected via 3G when this happened

• tmo_mike_c

I appreciate that info. I'm still not clear on if this is happening only while you're using the signal booster. Are you able to connect to and use the service during the same times when you have the issue with the booster's connection?

• duhmel

Sometimes I can connect via LTE but most of the time I connect via WiFi calling. What I do not understand is why my phone disconnects why I lose LTE service (shows no service) while at that time I have boosted 3G service (during periods that WiFi calling is dis-selected on my phone. When I was with Verizon, if I dropped LTE service the phone immediately changed over to 3G. I have good 3G coverage in my house but the only time I am able to connect to 3G is if I manually dis-select LTE in the phone settings. I haven’t seen the automatic changeover that I saw happening with Verizon.

I would like to have the booster work on both Band 4 and Band 12 LTE but my interpretation is that the unit can support only one or the other and cannot pick the strongest to boost. Is that correct?

• tmo_mike_c

That's right. The booster doesn't support Band 12 connection but does allow Band 4 use. You're supposed to connect to the strongest signal available in that area. Just some I'm clear, your phone doesn't switch over to 3G only during these rush hour times? Also, do you have your phone's preferences to connect to Wi-Fi calling?