New To T-Mobile w/unlocked LG G5 rs988

mparks1273

Hello 

I am new to t-mobile, just switched from Cricket.  I have an unlocked G5, it's the RS988 GSM/CDMA version sold by B&H.  so far it seems to be working ok. I have the LTE discovery app and that's showing me that it has connected to bands 12, 2, and 4.  mostly see it likes band 2 though. I see that the phone does not support any of the long range LTE bands T-Mobile uses like 66 or 71, will this be a problem for me?  since I have had this phone about 2 years I could upgrade soon to something else but prefer to say with a factory unlocked device. the Moto X4 64GB looks attractive to me, is that a good phone for the network if/when I pull the trigger on a new device?

Also I can not seen to get the T-mobile app to run on my phone.  I can log in then after a while of watching the circle spin I get a message "we are not ready for you yet. We're working on improving your app experience."  I switched monday and they told me at the store it would take about a day for the app to work, is this normal? 

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: New To T-Mobile w/unlocked LG G5 rs988

Band 66 is not a "long range" band. It's an extension of band 4 (mid-band). Band 12 is T-Mobile's original low-band (long range) LTE. Right now, about the only way to get a phone with the newest "long range" band (71) is to buy it from T-Mobile.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • mparks1273

Thanks,

So if my G5 is working on band 12 then there is not much point in an buying a new phone at this time as long as I'm happy with this one.  I did see one Moto Z series phone had band 71 but it was more than the mid range price I had in mind.

Now If I could get the app problem fixed I'd be all set up.

• drnewcomb2

If you stay mostly in areas where you have band-12, then band-71 is a nicety you can probably live without, for now. There are places (e.g. Maine, Plattsburgh, NY) where band-71 is important today. For most of us, it's a mañana kind of thing.

One disadvantage I find with T-Mobile is a constant need to upgrade phones. They are always adding new, unique bands. T-Mobile got band-12 (700A) after phones had already been developed for band-17 (700B & C). Now their getting band-71. These new bands aren't ancillary, they're the backbone of rural coverage. With AT&T, you could probably still use an iPhone 3GS because they've kept UMTS bands 2 & 5. So, when you do decide to upgrade, be sure that the phone you get supports not only all T-Mobile's bands but Sprint's too. You could be needing them before very long.

• mparks1273

Haha well thats cool my phone now does support some of sprints lte bands. It is 2 years old so its not the latest and greatest though.  I think I will hold on to it a bit longer unless there are issues.

• tmo_chris

Hey mparks1273 

As for the app issues, can you try creating your online account on my.t-mobile.com from a computer first and then see if you can gain access through the app? What type of account do you have, prepaid or postpaid?

• mparks1273

Hey Chris

I did create an account on a computer and that works fine.  I can even use chrome on my phone to log in but the app will not work.  If I try to use the app I can log in but then a magenta circle spins a while followed by a message "were not ready for you yet. Please try our website"

My service is prepaid.

Thanks

• tmo_chris

Ahh okay, do you happen to know the exact name of the plan you are on?

• mparks1273

Simply PrePaid, 10GB highspeed LTE data, unlimited talk and text $40 plus tax and fees.  Thats the plan I signed up for.

• tmo_chris

Hmmmm, I know that legacy prepaid plans do not have the ability to access the T-Mobile app. It sounds like you may have been set up on the legacy version of this plan and we would need to get you changed over to the new version. You would need to call us so we could make that happen for you. I am very sorry for the confusion.

• mparks1273

Oh thanks this is a new limited offer plan that I thought I was on.  I just got it This Monday.  Who do I need to call and ask for to get it fixed? I have a support ticket in for this too.

• tmo_chris

You would just call the normal support line. 611 from your phone or 1-800-937-8997 from any other phone.

• mparks1273

I called support and was told that with the current version of the app all pepaid customers cant use it at this time only post paid customers. They did say that getting set up for prepaid is in the works.  So for now to make things simple as possible I will just booom mark the web site in Chrome on my device. 

• tmo_chris

Oh man, I am sorry for the confusion. I scoured the internal documents and could not find anything that said "All prepaid accounts will not work with the T-Mobile app" but I did find that legacy prepaid accounts did not support the app and there is a legacy version of the Simple Prepaid account you are on as well as a Prepaid 2.0 version. I am sorry you had to waste your time calling in on this, I was just hoping that it could have been a wrong plan type of situation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                  • mparks1273

Either it was a waste of time or I talked to the wrong support rep on the

phone and they just didnt want to look it up.

• mparks1273

Tmo_Chris.

I have another question.  I was looking at compatibility of my phone.  I found some information that t mobile wants all devices on band 12 to support voice over LTE and e911. This page shows that my RS988 version of the G5 does support band 12, but no voice over LTE.

Devices compatible with T-Mobile Extended Range LTE - Spectrum Gateway

How big of an issue is not having that feature and compatibility?

• drnewcomb2

mparks1273 wrote:

How big of an issue is not having that feature and compatibility?

VoLTE is necessary for T-Mobile to comply with E911 requirements. It's not all that important to you because a 911 call will still be handled by any available carrier. You might want to install a VoIP app, like Viber, and get some call-out credits because you may find yourself in a situation where you have a data connection but not be able to make outgoing calls (except 911). You may also miss some incoming calls in rural areas and indoors, where you have a T-Mobile signal. All-in-all, not a show stopper but I might consider getting a new phone as soon as the price of phones with band-71 comes down to a reasonable level.

• mparks1273

Wow so I think it is time to get something different.  While I also want a band 71 phone and prefer to wait for more options and better prices. Yesterday I was having trouble with GPS signal lost when trying to use Google maps for nav, something that has recently started for me and the entire G5 line of models is know for. Missing turns is getting frustrating the more that happens. So This morning I found the Moto X4 supports Volte, certified to work on T Mobile  and Wi-Fi calling too, it's affordable enough I can use it for a year or so and move on if I find something else I like. it's even an Android one device, wich is great for updats LG falls down on. So I ordered that and I'm gonna keep the G5 in a drawer just in case, or gift it to my mom or sister who are still on cricket wireless.