WiFi Calling Not Working

magenta6216438

I read in other threads here the phone may be set to use data as opposed to WiFi for calling; this doesn't help me at all.  I work in a basement office and the only way I can get calls is over WiFi.  My last two phones worked in my office fine.  I've set the e911 address so I'm good there.  It is because it's trying to use my data.  I have the Galaxy Note 8.  How do I bypass this feature so it actually uses the WiFi at my job??? 

I am so annoyed I might switch back to ATT. 

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: WiFi Calling Not Working

What phone are you using?

Have you turned WiFi Calling on within your device settings?

Have you successfully used WiFi Calling on this network before?  (Some networks block WiFi Calling)

What error message are you getting?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta6216438

The Galaxy Note 8 is the phone.  T-Mobile is the network, which is why I'm asking on this T-Mobile message board.  I could use my WiFi calling feature in my office without problems when I had AT&T but I switched a week ago and can't use it with T-Mobile. 

• magentatechie

And this is your AT&T Note 8 you're using?  Are you getting an error message when you attempt to connect to WiFi and turn on the WiFi calling, or is the WiFi calling even available to TURN on where you are?

• magenta6216438

I am on WiFi; I know this because I get Facebook and email notifications that I would not otherwise get if I weren't connected.  It' is only the calling, I have it ON, I set my e911 address as well.  I read in another post T-Mobile sets their phones to only use WiFi calling over the T-Mobile data plan which I cannot access in the basement where I work; that's why I have to use the work WiFi.  When I had AT&T WiFi calling always worked in my office, now on T-Mobile it does not.  

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018, 9:21:23 AM PDT, magentatechie <no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote: 

|

T-Mobile Support

|

|

WiFi Calling Not Working

reply from magentatechie in Network & coverage - View the full discussion

And this is your AT&T Note 8 you're using?  Are you getting an error message when you attempt to connect to WiFi and turn on the WiFi calling, or is the WiFi calling even available to TURN on where you are?

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on T-Mobile Support

Start a new discussion in Network & coverage by email or at T-Mobile Support

Following WiFi Calling Not Working in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

• magentatechie

I'm sorry, my question was what happens when you turn WiFi Calling on?

If you were to click through Settings>Connections>WifI Calling, is the option available to switch it off or on? Otherwise, open the dialer, click the 3 dots in the upper right corner, then select Settings.  WiFi Calling should be towards the bottom of the list.  If you are able to get to it, you should be able to click through and access the connection preferences, and make sure WiFi Preferred is chosen.

If you don't see these options, or if the WiFi Calling is greyed out or otherwise unavailable, it may not be compatible as it is an unlocked device.

• snn555

SM-N950U1

This model is confirmed to work with Tmo wifi calling.

• tmo_chris

So with phones that are not sold by T-Mobile, we cannot guarantee they will work with our Wi-Fi Calling as we have not tested them on our network. If you have high-speed internet in your phone, one of our 4G LTE CellSpot  might work out better for you. You can contact us over the phone and we can see what options are  to you.

• magenta6216438

The phone was purchased from a T-Mobile store Chris.  The problem is that there is some "update" that came out that only allows T-Mobile wifi calling to run off of DATA not actual WIFI which makes no sense.  I need to know how to override this function.

On Monday, September 24, 2018, 8:45:55 AM PDT, tmo_chris <no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote: 

|

T-Mobile Support

|

WiFi Calling Not Working

reply from tmo_chris in Network & coverage - View the full discussion

So with phones that are not sold by T-Mobile, we cannot guarantee they will work with our Wi-Fi Calling as we have not tested them on our network. If you have high-speed internet in your phone, one of our 4G LTE CellSpot  might work out better for you. You can contact us over the phone and we can see what options are  to you.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on T-Mobile Support

Start a new discussion in Network & coverage by email or at T-Mobile Support

Following WiFi Calling Not Working in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• tmo_chris

I am not sure I have heard of an update that does that In the Wi-Fi calling settings, there should be an option to choose between cellular preferred (which will not be a Wi-Fi call if your cellular connection is strong enough) or cellular preferred (which will use your Wi-Fi no matter what your cellular signal is. Did you get a chance to see what yours is set to? If you turn off all cellular data and only enable WiFi calling, are you then able to make calls?

• tmo_mike_c

Hey!

Have you taken the time to give the steps above a shot? Please let us know if it's working.