Random Calls.

darceness

I keep getting calls randomly from people, and when I call them back they say they never tried calling me. I don't know if someone is using peoples phone numbers to reach me but it's freaking me out.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Random Calls.

It's scam calls.

If you answered, either it would be dead air or some recording.

They spoof their Caller ID with the hopes that you'll answer if it's a number "near" you (I get a lot of calls from the same area code and prefix as my cell).

Unfortunately, nothing you can do about it.  Well, you can just stop calling people back for missed calls without message.

I'm now starting to wonder how many of these calls are spoofers calling me vs how many are people calling back a missed call where my number was spoofed as CID.  I have had one person leave a message on my voicemail saying they're returning a missed call (which wasn't made).

I've stopped answering calls from numbers I don't recognize unless it's in a timeframe where I have to answer calls (e.g. my HVAC people calling before they're coming... or a utility company or that -- but, only during times I know I would be getting a call).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_mike_c

Re: Random Calls.

I agree this sounds like caller ID spoofing. You should take a look at our Caller ID spoofing, text message spam, and phishing page for more info on how to handle something like this.