Blocked iPhone

artem64

Brother found lost iPhone 7 in hotel and contacted the owner.  Owner got insurance replacement and sold the phone to brother.  A week later the phone got blocked.  The person is now not responding to any messages.  I have PayPal receipt and communication with seller.  Is there anything short of a lawsuit that I can do to unblock the phone?  I feel like I am getting scammed but the person is a known and I have all contact info but the person no longer responds to any messages. Thank you.

All replies

• magentatechie

Re: Blocked iPhone

The owner of the phone scammed your brother.  Whenever a device is lost or stolen, the missing device gets blocked by the insurance carrier and it cannot be unblocked unless the seller returns his replacement device to the insurance company.

Your only recourse would be to take the seller to small claims and attempt to get your money back, it's up to you as to if it would be worth the time, money, and effort.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

The fact that he got an insurance replacement should have been your first clue. I'm not a lawyer but I'd say it depends on what title was sold to your brother. If the seller just offered a quit-claim, offering whatever title he had, then it may be tough to make a case. If he warrantied that it would be usable, you might have a case.

• tmo_mike_c

Aww, that's so rough!

I've heard of folks doing this and I really wish I had a solution for you but this will need to be worked out with the seller. Blocking the device is the result of filing that claim. We can't offer any legal advice here, but if you do go that route, I wish you the best of luck that something can be done.