Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm

ed60

Sharing my Experience with the new galaxy watch that I have it for17 days , according to Samsung it's supposed to stay for 4 days on a single charge which is not the case for sure, i couldn't get more than 2 days from this watch at the best using it as a standalone device with the LTE on I tried everything possible like shutting down all unnecessary functions like continuous heart rate monitor or GPS for location etc.. I don't play music on it nor did I download any apps or watch faces, I tried to find reviews or experiences online but obviously the watch is new so i failed to find an answer, I called Samsung Tech Support which I believe I am more geeky and Techy than those  that answer the calls, one suggested that i would send it to Samsung to check it or take it to one of Samsung's service locations and gave me the addresses and numbers I hung up and called of course no answer and inbox full so i couldn't even leave a message so i called Samsung again and the Rep. that answered probably located in India where I barely understood 10% of what he said and he also suggested that I send the watch to them well he told me that the Authorized service centers don't do watches only phones loll well the first one gave me addresses and numbers !! anyways it's all free may be my brand new 400$ watch plus Tax needs a battery or a board or so which i didn't like of course to send a new watch even to Samsung for someone to play with it and scratch or whatever i told him why don't you let me send it and if it's defective Samsung can send me a new one this is a 14 days old watch not that i am sending it to you at the last day of the warranty, he started mumbling I said can i talk to higher tier person he said yes but it's late now they work till 5 pm so you can call tomorrow of course no phone number for them so you have to through these smart guys to transfer you I said ok I will call back tomorrow, i forgot to say that he asked me if i tried with T-Mobile  I told him the warranty comes from Samsung not T-Mobile he said yeah right, anyways so before calling I decided on that night to try to keep my watch connected to the phone via Bluetooth all the time after resetting it one more time and keeping all the settings as before LTE and Wi-Fi on Auto now after 3 days of light usage as i normally do I still have 52% Juice on the battery which is impressive, I am assuming I might get 6 to 7 days out of this watch on a single charge, my opinion is that the LTE is the culprit draining this battery, I spend long time indoors so may be the watch puts extra effort to stay connected to towers I haven't really tried if there's a difference if I spent longer hours outdoor, hopefully others would share their experiences.

I am assuming Samsung's 4 days battery life  estimate is depending on customers to connect the watch mainly via Bluetooth and if we went out for few hours leaving the phone at home and let the watch connect as a standalone LTE device we would get the 3 to 4 days average they are talking about??

All replies

• magentatechie

Re: Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm

Just so I understand, you keep the LTE on as well as the WiFi and Bluetooth? Forgive me if I misunderstood.  The WiFi nor the Bluetooth are not required to use the watch as a standalone device and can be turned off. This will help conserve your battery.

• ed60

No I didn't leave the wi-fi nor the Bluetooth on when I was using the watch as a LTE standalone device, I do understand that the LTE would drain the battery faster but 6 to 7 days on Bluetooth compared to a maximum of 2 days on LTE is a kinda too much of a difference then when I called Samsung for them to tell me 4 days on a single charge, well if I didn't try to keep the watch connected using the Bluetooth to find out it will perform great I could have gone thru the unnecessary headache of sending the watch to Samsung etc... again because Samsung didn't specify the battery life clearly between the bluetooth and LTE versions they just said 4 days.

• debjitjdv

ed60

I usually don't hurl anything bad to anyone. But your post made me do so. I am an Indian and when you said that someone from India answered your support call and you barely understood 10% of what he said, it hurts me. It's true that we Indians may have a thick accent, but in a global market setting, possibly you should try to understand different accents as well apart from American accents. Frankly speaking, I even did not understand what you wrote in your message above due to lack of proper punctuations and use of verbs etc.

tmo_chris tmo_phillip possibly you guys will ban me or rebuke me for this post. But you folks know me better than that. When I see categorization based on my country, I cannot stay silent. Sorry about that.

Your post misses several key information. Which Galaxy Watch are you using? 42mm or 46mm? Samsung said up to 4 days for the Bluetooth model of the 46 mm watch based on a certain usage.

1. Yours is an LTE model and hence it will drain faster no matter what.
            2. It also depends on the LTE band that your watch is using and its strength. If you go to watch dialer and dial *#0011#, you will see the LTE band and the power from the tower. Anything more than -85dBm should be ok but anything less than that indicates poor signal.
            3. Try to connect your watch to WiFi if available indoor. WiFi consumes less power than weak LTE connectivity.
            4. Switch off your Bluetooth as suggested by magentatechie
            5. Try to limit notifications from your Galaxy Wearable App. A recent update has been released as well. Try to see if you can get the update.
            6. Also, you may switch off hand-gestures / always on etc. That will preserve a whole lot of battery.

I have the 46mm LTE version and every day on average, I am seeing a drop of 23% of battery, leading me to go to approximately 3.5 days on a single charge which is pretty awesome. I make calls, reply to my texts, and record my walks, work out etc, so pretty heavy usage I would say.

• ed60

For My Indian Friend here who got offended I didn't mean it in a bad way and I am sorry if it made you fee so, by the way English is not my mother tongue so I am not claiming that my English accent is the best ever but as you said some people have thick accent that might get worse on the phone due to several factors like the connection or the handset used needless to mention some of the associates like to use the handsfree!! anyways sorry one more time.

Now for tmo Philip I believe the title of the discussion says Samsung Galaxy watch 46mm !!!

Samsung wasn't specific about the battery life if it's a Bluetooth or LTE and when I called Samsung Tech support I was very clear that i have

the LTE version and the associate that answered me asked me to hold on till he finds out then came back to say 4 days!!!

well when i went to the store to pay my bill it's the same store where i bought the watch from, I asked the associate there if she has any feedback regarding the battery life she said well we got the new watch I smiled and said well guess what it's the new watch I got it 2 weeks ago from HERE she insisted no this is the old

one till she went to check the one in display !!!!

• ed60

Sorry guys I was in a hurry when i replied to your comment, so let me start by saying my bad for saying an Indian associate I should have said an overseas calling center, again i didn't mean to offend nobody that's not my personality but what I meant in the first place is that I had a difficulty understanding the guy we all know that some people are difficult to understand regardless of where they come from!! even the natives might have a difficulty understanding each other depending on the region they grew up in is it north or south or whatever, I am sorry again if you took my words the wrong way hopefully i made it clear.

The problem with those calling centers here or overseas is that the front line associates answering the calls are not knowledgeable or hate their job because i am sure that some customers might have a temper and use inappropriate languages so to be honest lots of them they seem like they just want to go through their shift then go home!! so if the associate is clueless and hard to understand it's very frustrating, it happened to me a lot that after wasting time with someone I do call again hoping that I will be lucky to talk to talk to someone that knows what they are talking about.

Anyways that was long and had nothing to do with the watch itself so yes tmo-Phillip when i first got the watch it updated something and I checked several times including today it says i have the latest firmware.

Thank you again hopefully no heart feelings

• tmo_phillip

O3DHIA5.gif

I kid, of course. Debjit, you're doing great work helping out in this thread, and we don't mind opinions being posted at all.

• debjitjdv

ed60

I strongly suggest you follow the steps that magentatechie  and I have suggested. All companies will keep something under the sleeve, its simply a business tactics. But I can assure you, Galaxy Watch is much much better both in terms of battery and performance compared to S3 Frontier. I initially bought S3 Frontier from T-Mo but then returned since I saw that Samsung is giving an additional $30 off and a leather band free if bought directly from their website. Then I just activated that on T-Mo. I just hope Samsung just does not screw up Galaxy Watch software in later updates

Also, if you keep location aka GPS on, it will kill your watch battery. You might want to keep that switched off unless you want to see your running routes etc..

• ed60

Thanks for the advice, as I said I have very few notifications on and no I am not using the GPS, now when I tried to use the Bluetooth connection all the time to compare it to the LTE when it comes to the battery life!! now while I am writing  this comment I still have 35% of the battery juice after 4 days of normal to light use, as i said before i surely know the LTE drains the battery more so my next step is to find out if there's a big difference between using the LTE indoors where the reception is not at it's best VS the outdoors, probably will be a difference I am not sure if it's gonna be significant!! anyways it won't hurt me to try and see.

Thanks again

• debjitjdv

Thanks, tmo_phillip <3