watch without active phone

magenta2018206

is it possible to pair an apple watch (LTE) with an iPhone that does not have an active sim ?  I wish to use the phone for setup and configuration only ?

All replies

• magentatechie

Re: watch without active phone

Just so I understand, you are wishing to establish the LTE on an Apple Watch but you do not have an active Apple phone on your account?

• magenta2018206

More or less.  I am wishing to establish the LTE connection to a watch that is paired to a phone that does not have an active line.  I have other phones that do have active lines established in my account, but I want this watch to be independent of these other phones in my account.  The watch is for a household member whose needs could be met only by the watch.  I can find an older phone to pair the watch with for configuration etc, but I expect he would not keep the phone with him/keep it charged/ etc. 

• magentatechie

Ahhhh, I gotcha!

The way that the Apple watch plan works is that the watch is assigned a mobile internet line of service (Data with Paired DIGITS) that does not act as a standalone line for incoming calls.  The line is linked to a voice line on your account.

In your case, you would need to activate a voice line for your iPhone, then you would utilize the Watch app to link the watch to the phone's voice line. 

In terms of what you're looking for, the watch would be an excellent solution, however, you would need to have an active iPhone to pair.  The watch and phone would not have to be together for the watch to act as you wish, however.  You could simply keep it home on the charger and your watch would utilize the LTE connection to access the line's calls and texts.