Dumb Phones: only calls and texts, please!

azva2012

I need a T-Mobile compatible phone that can only text and call: no wifi capability.

All replies

• snn555

Re: Dumb Phones: only calls and texts, please!

TMobile has 1 flip phone by Alcatel I believe.

Alcatel GO FLIP™ | Cell Phones at T-Mobile

as far as other compatible phones bought elsewhere you kind of take your chances with that as they are not as interoperable as some smartphones are with a multitude of bands and frequencies compatible with T-Mobile.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • azva2012

Yes: we purchased the Alcatel phone for my son.  He can still access wifi and we do not want him to be able to.  Spoke to T-Mobile support today and they indicated that any GSM compatible phone should work, but my research is showing that the ones that only text and call operate on 2G.  I'm not sure how much longer T-Mobile can service 2G phones.  I was hoping someone on here could tell me if they've had good luck with any other phones for this purpose.

• snn555

Unfortunately it looks like you may have to just take a risk and find a phone that doesn't have Wi-Fi on it and hope that it works with T-Mobile because 2G will go away eventually most likely in the next couple years or less. it seems that in today's age most everything comes with some sort of Wi-Fi capability and that is not something that you can use your account features to block.  in fact I'd be willing to bet that given the age of this particular flip phone that T-Mobile carries that they don't plan on carrying anymore anytime soon and if they do they may carry one and I'm sure it will have Wi-Fi capabilities and be LTE only.

However you could search for vintage T-Mobile flip phones or other vintage models that would work with T-Mobile. However do know that the technology is dated and battery power and lack of available accessories such as the battery itself are something to think about.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • barcodeable

I don’t think you ever explained why you don’t want your son from accessing WiFi. It actually becomes very difficult for forum members to provide adequate solutions when we do not have the full story.

Just speculating..... but are you trying to prevent your son from accessing WiFi to somehow deter him from browsing questionable sites online? If that is the case, i would recommend a smart phone (not a dumb phone). I hate promoting phones, because I’m not getting paid to do so.....

#1. Buy an iPhone

#2. Go into your general settings and  set restrictions on the web browser (your son will be unable to access the interent via the safari app) You can totally remove the web browsing safari app from view.

#3. in general settings....also restrict his use of the appstore so he will be unable to download other apps that will aid him in his quest for teenage enlightenment .

if you have an iphone already (go straight to #2).

• snn555

to add on to the above a smartphone can actually be cheaper than a flip phone and there's more choice and reliability. Also you can disable some settings within a smartphone where a dumb phone you may or may not be able to as well as Wi-Fi on a dumb phone doesn't really give you much option or ability to Surf anything questionable.  Those phones capabilities are very limited.  obviously at home your Wi-Fi password can be changed and not giving out all of this does not stop use elsewhere. Also consider that a lot of GPS and emergency information also uses triangulation from Towers GPS and Wi-Fi for better location.

• djwohio

With CES in full swing are there any New 'Dumb Phones' that support the new bands?

Last summer I was told to wait for CES.  I need a voice only phone with Large 'buttons' , reasonable display for Caller ID  no Texting to augment my S8 Active.

My current LG does not play well on T-Mobile anymore (I have been told this is due to T-Mobile phasing out 2G)

S8 Active is great but not for one handed phone operation in remote areas.