Prepaid Customers = Second Class Citizens

jmackles

Really just looking to vent right now.  Apparently if you are a prepaid customer you are not eligible for the iPhone Upgrade Program.  Why is this?  There are so many customer features that are restricted from prepaid customers.  I pay $50 a month for unlimited talk/text and 10gb of 4g, followed by unlimited 3g after.  It's a good deal.  Why do I feel punished for this?  I'm disappointed that there is no way for me to upgrade to a new iPhone because of pettiness on the part of T-Mobile.

All replies

• snn555

Re: Prepaid Customers = Second Class Citizens

a big reason for prepaid not getting the same deals as postpaid is largely in part to credit-ratings. Those on postpaid have already submitted to the background check for credit while those on prepaid typically don't have good credit and don't show any signs of being a long-time customer for the future.  Obviously that does not include everyone on postpaid.

yes being on prepaid for 5 years does show longevity however someone who is able to pay after the fact like you would a credit card shows more postpaid customer Gains. Postpaid has a bigger margin of profit.  also consider that prepaid has fewer features and options and cost less so therefore it will make TMobile less money than a postpaid account.

now it's true that contracts are no longer a thing however agreeing to pay for a phone for 24 months for the option of a deal is pretty much a contract.  since prepaid does not deal with contracts this would not apply to prepaid.

• dc5fan

For me, the PAYG $3 a month plan, is right down my alley! As far as credit ratings go I have excellent rating on my Discover account. Thanks to you and another member the suggestion for my Stylo 3 Plus has worked out great. My only complaint is I have to wait a year before I can unlock my phone. It would be nice if that policy could be cut, let's say to 6 months or less. I don't think T-Mobile lost any money for that LG phone. There have been some months I haven't used the entire 30 minutes a month, and I did get a great phone.

• snn555

honestly if you're going to stay with T-Mobile because the plan is right up your alley there is no use in unlocking the phone. It's not really compatible with any other carrier except for AT&T and that's not 100%. So there is no reason to unlock your phone.

• dc5fan

It is my understanding that an unlocked phone is worth more than a locked phone. I check out SWAPPA once in awhile to see what the 3 Plus phone is worth. I have purchased an extra battery and a battery charger. You are probably right that the phone works best on T-Mobile. Thanks for your reply.

• tmo_chris

We love all our customers, prepaid and postpaid alike. As snn555 mentioned, the iPhone upgrade program is done through a monthly equipment installment program which is not an option for pay in advance accounts.

Is there anything preventing you from converting to a postpaid account?

• magenta6224214

The reason that I selected Prepaid is that for many years I have been using the 'credit-freeze' benefit with the big-three credit services to help prevent identity theft. You may be aware that this step, having a credit-freeze, is now highly recommended to cut down on identity theft. When I started the process of getting an account with T-M, I didn't care to go through the hassle of going through the credit services' very valid obstacle-course of freeing up my account for credit inquiries for 30 days to enable T-M to accept me as a Postpaid customer.