Solved

T-Mobile Credit rating issue

• 10 September 2018
  • 11 replies

When signing up for my new service, they wouldn't allow me to enroll for 6 lines and receive the 0 down iphone 6s  special because of my supposed credit rating results. Rep at the store told me my TransUnion report was pulled to gather my Tmobile credit rating. I don't believe T-mobile accurately scored my credit rating based on my TransUnion credit score and history listed.

I tried adding another tonight and was now told about a 65 day wait since I signed up for service.

I want to know how T-mobile determined my internal credit score.  I have an excellent history and score with Transunion and see no reason why i wouldn't qualify for 6 lines and the phone special.

It has been frustrating trying to get a straight answer from the 800#.

icon

Best answer by snn555 11 September 2018, 19:53

View original

11 replies

This issue also occurred with me on my iPhone. Looking forward to the effective solution.

Userlevel 5

Just because you have the credit score doesn't mean you can get approved for $5,000 worth of Technology products.  Sometimes you need to be an active and an established customer for a while

I faced the similar issues with T Mobile credit check. Though I did not buy any phones from T-mobile, just activated a new plan. I have excellent credit history and score. Received a letter stating my credit score is roughly 200 points lower and I may have to put down deposit! I was shocked. There must be a some sort of error on the Company's part. May be time to switch the company that checks credits for your customers!

I had the same issue when setting up new service with the 10s BOGO.  Was told that my credit score was too low, and a substantial down payment was required (oddly enough, the cost of one phone) When I received a letter stating the reasons, it listed a score of over 200 pts below the actual scores from the major credit bureaus.  I have had the same mobile number for 20+ years, so history is not a problem here.   Smells like a bad business practice t-mobile.

Same issue here.  No explanation or reasoning provided, just a stammering employee who could only read what showed up on their screen.  I went to 3 different credit agencies to prove an 800+ score and explain how easy it would be to buy what I was buying at the time.  Didn’t matter.  Maybe it has to do with Tmobile’s foreign origins?

If establishing time is WHY T MOBILE DENIES CUSTOMERS, THEN DON'T LIE TO THEM WITH THE INSINUATION THE              " PROPRIETY" CREDIT SCORE THAT T MOBILE COMPUTES (AND IS CONVENIENTLY 200 POINTS LOWER THAN A CUSTOMERS ACTUAL CREDIT SCORE BASED ON THE " 3 COMPANIES" (with their SECRET ALGORITHM) THAT ARE ALLOWED TO PUBLISH A TO INDIVIDUALS CREDIT SCORE. 

Happened to me.  Got the same letter.  The section of the letter titled “Key factors that adversely affected your credit score” - was absolutely blank.

My credit score is 810 per Capital One.  T-Mobile says it’s 222.  I called the phone number in T-Mobile’s letter (LexisNexis, the credit agency), and they said they determined my credit score to be 801.  Quite aligned with reality.  

SO IT’S T-MOBILE AND NOT THE CREDIT AGENCY COOKING UP THE RIDICULOUSLY LOW SCORES!!!!!

So I’m ignoring this BS.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO T-MOBILE!!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

You guys aware…  free credit checks only show a “basic” credit score, and there are different credit scores depending on what you are buying, and they don’t use the same methods of credit worthiness.

Try buying a car, house, private, and cell phones.  You’ll have varying credit scores between all those.

tidbits - are you suggesting a disparity between 810 and 222 is normal credit score variation? 

And when the credit agency that T-Mobile used to check my credit arrives at 801 (very close to 810) and then T-Mobile comes up with 222???!!!!  Is that what we’re to assume is normal????  I buy a lot of stuff - over half a century - and this has happened only once - with T-Mobile.  And looking above, there’s a clear pattern here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

tidbits - are you suggesting a disparity between 810 and 222 is normal credit score variation? 

And when the credit agency that T-Mobile used to check my credit arrives at 801 (very close to 810) and then T-Mobile comes up with 222???!!!!  Is that what we’re to assume is normal????  I buy a lot of stuff - over half a century - and this has happened only once - with T-Mobile.  And looking above, there’s a clear pattern here.

Is it really that far off or are you exaggerating? Did you verify you info? Could be a different persons SSN. Seen that happen a few times. Also yes there can be variations as high as 200. I used to be an underwriter and see that quite a few times. 

I am not exaggerating.  T-Mobile’s agency, LexisNexis is sending me documentation for their rating of 801.  I have the letter from T-Mobile, and I can go to Capital One for my free report of 810 (though that ticks up and down a few all the time).  I’d attach it all but I don’t yet have the LexisNexis  report, and I worry about posting identity information.

But thanks for bringing up the SS number.  It could suggest an honest typo at T-Mobile - but then, why did I get a rating of 801 when I contacted LexisNexis?  Clearly, LexisNexis had my information correct.  Two possibilities I can think of:  T-Mobile’s database allows for ambiguity in my ID such that their external research vs. internal ratings (persecution?) use different personal data fields - or - something nefarious at T-Mobile, as they have a financial benefit for customers having lower scores.  I’m sincerely not claiming either. 

All I know is that T-Mobile will be charging me deposits and down payments until I clear this up.  I bought home internet, planning to transfer my phones to T-Mobile once I confirmed it works, and it does.  But I’m not going to increase my T-Mobile footprint until I get all the documentation and succeed in a challenge.