Forgot My LG G6 PIN

jonathanmangah

Hi, I recently changed the pin for my LG G6 but now I cannot remember what numbers I set it to. I've searched the Web for an answer to either get back in or to atleast retrieve my photos and videos but had no luck. I even tried resetting the pin with Find My Device but it told me that the password i set wouldn't be used as i already have a pin set on my phone (which is the pin I can't remember). I turned to the AndroidForums to seek help but not even the Moderators knew what to do. So I've finally turned to this website to see if there is anything possible for me to do.

Phone: LG G6 H872

Please keep in mind that I would like to get back into my device to use it as normal but I'm also perfectly fine with resetting it as long as I can keep my photos and videos

All replies

• joe1994

Re: Forgot My LG G6 PIN

You have 30 attempts to remember it, then your phone does a factory reset. Since I got my first phone in 1997, my pin has remained the same and not it's not 1997.

• jonathanmangah

So there's no way to recover anything or get back in?

• joe1994

Unless you remember your pin the answer is pretty much no. Most .Phones are designed to either factory reset or lock up once the pin has been enter incorrectly a certain amount of times.

You could always try reaching to the mossad, shin bet, MI6, or the national security agency, there are plenty of group's it seems have the resources to break into cellphone devices

• magentatechie

Sadly, a reset is your only option.

Unfortunately, unless you have Google Photos or an app like Dropbox set up to automatically back up your pics and videos, (or your phone was set up to save them to an SD card) there not a way to retrieve them.

One of the reasons is that when you hook your phone up to a computer, it will charge only by default.  You have to physically change the setting in the phone (by pulling down on the notification bar and clicking the USB option) to set the device to be used for Media Transfer.

The instructions for a reset are here, you'll have to do a reset with the hardware keys.

Also, you might have to "trick" your phone into the recovery mode.  Some phones will not allow you to use the power button to shut off the phone when the lock screen is visible.  If this is the case for you, you'll have to force a reset (by pressing the volume down and power buttons together for about 5-10 seconds, might have to hold it longer, your mileage may vary).  When the device resets, you must quickly release and repress the volume down and power keys.  When the LG logo appears, release the power button and immediately press it again while continuing to hold the volume down key.

Give the phone a few moments to load the recovery menu, you might see the little Android with his tummy open, or your phone might say "installing software.." or something to that extent.  Don't worry, nothing is changing yet.  When the menu finally appears, you will use the volume up and down keys to highlight your selection and the power button to confirm.

I realize these are some crazy digital acrobatics but it really does work.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there!

Sorry to hear the pins been locked. Were you able to unlock it with the pin or did you have to do a reset?

• jonathanmangah

I haven't figured out the pin but I'm still trying to figure it out, I've

decided to reset it only as a last resort.

• magentatechie

I sincerely hope you're able to remember your PIN, but do tread lightly.  joe1994 has a point about some phones locking up or automatically resetting after so many tries.

I forgot to mention above that after you reset, (which I really hope you don't have to!) you will be required to log in to the phone using the exact same Gmail address and password you used at initial startup.  If you can't remember your Gmail password and have to reset it, you will have to wait 24 hours before being able to log in to the phone.  My advice is that if you don't know your password now,  better to go ahead and reset it to start the click on your countdown, as there is a 72 hour lockout after a password change before a factory reset will allow the new password in to a newly reset phone.  (Note: your mileage may vary here, Google updates its security requirements fairly often and these are just the last parameters with which I am familiar).

Fun fact!  Users with Samsung devices and a My Samsung account CAN use Samsung's Find my Mobile website to reset their screen lock PIN or clear a pattern lock.  If only LG had something similar!

• sczar2009

Try hooking your phone up to a computer and see if you can get into all your files. If you can you can save them to the computer and reinstall them after you reset your phone. The charger cable that came with your phone will hook it to a computer. Worth a try ..