T-Mobile support says Galaxy Watch LTE only compatible with Samsung Galaxy S7 and higher

magenta5192737

Had to return my watch today because they couldn't get the LTE connection working.  I went to two different T-Mobile stores and was told the same thing..the LTE connection will only work if you have a Samsung Galaxy S7 or higher phone.  The staff at both stores fully expected to be able to get my LTE connection working and were very surprised after speaking with their support ppl and finding out that the LTE connection will only work if you have a Samsung Galaxy S7 or higher to do the initial setup.  We even tried setting it up with a borrowed Galaxy phone and then re-pairing it with my non-Galaxy phone but even that did not work.  I think at a very minimum, T-Mobile should inform their store staff that these phones won't work on LTE standalone if the owner does not have a Galaxy phone.  I would have not bought mine initially and had to go through the hassle of returning it.

All replies

• magentatechie

Oh, dear!  I'm so sorry you had to go through what sounds to be a huge disappointment.  I realize that you already returned your watch but I wanted to leave this link  here in case someone else has the same problems with setup.  How to Activate Samsung watch LTE

I'm afraid the reps are mistaken and the watch CAN be paired with non-Samsung devices.  Yes, it is required for the initial setup, but it can be paired to a non-T-Mobile device after activation as has been experienced by others on the afore linked thread.  Both devices will have to be connected to WiFi in order to complete the setup as well.  

Something else of note is making sure that if you purchase the watch through a representative (either online, in store, or over the phone), it MUST be activated on a Data with Paired DIGITS line of service, and the line must be paired with the primary line of the individual who will be using it. 

I know lots of folks have been having trouble getting this watch up and running the way it was intended, somewhat because of a real lack of overall understanding about how to go about the setup process on the part of those who are supposed to help!  I'm spreading the link far and wide, hopefully more people will benefit from it!

Again, magenta5192737, I am terribly sorry for your troubles and inconvenience. 

• magenta5192737

Yeah I read that whole thread and we tried exactly that at both stores but it didn't work.  The watch resets itself after pairing with a new phone so we were back to square 1 after activating it on the borrowed phone and then re-pairing it with mine.  I was getting this message "Not allowed" when trying to place a call on LTE after activating on the borrowed phone.  I thought we were actually making progress, but after the techs at both stores were told by their support ppl that I needed a Galaxy phone they gave up.  Both stores did make changes to the line of service..both stores said the other store set it up wrong, and then the manager at the 2nd store even tried setting it up a 3rd way but nothing worked.  I would love to have gotten it working but nobody at either store (and there were about 5 ppl working on it total) was able to get it working and they put a good 2 1/2 hours in between them.

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 08:26:27 PM EDT, magentatechie <no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote: 

|

T-Mobile Support

|

You have been mentioned

by magentatechie in Re: T-Mobile support says Galaxy Watch LTE only compatible with Samsung Galaxy S7 and higher in T-Mobile Support - View magentatechie's reference to you

Oh, dear!  I'm so sorry you had to go through what sounds to be a huge disappointment.  I realize that you already returned your watch but I wanted to leave this link  here in case someone else has the same problems with setup.  How to Activate Samsung watch LTE

I'm afraid the reps are mistaken and the watch CAN be paired with non-Samsung devices.  Yes, it is required for the initial setup, but it can be paired to a non-T-Mobile device after activation as has been experienced by others on the afore linked thread.  Both devices will have to be connected to WiFi in order to complete the setup as well.  

Something else of note is making sure that if you purchase the watch through a representative (either online, in store, or over the phone), it MUST be activated on a Data with Paired DIGITS line of service, and the line must be paired with the primary line of the individual who will be using it. 

I know lots of folks have been having trouble getting this watch up and running the way it was intended, somewhat because of a real lack of overall understanding about how to go about the setup process on the part of those who are supposed to help!  I'm spreading the link far and wide, hopefully more people will benefit from it!

Participate in the conversation by replying to this email

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• magenta5192737

Also, if what you are saying is true and there is a way to get it working on LTE without having a Samsung phone, why don't the ppl at central support know this?  I can understand the store ppl not knowing, but when they call their support ppl and their support ppl tell them I need a Galaxy phone their hands are tied at that point.  If what you are saying is true, then it is your central support ppl who have it wrong, not the store staff.  Why are you and your central support ppl not on the same page?

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 08:26:27 PM EDT, magentatechie wrote:

|

T-Mobile Support

|

You have been mentioned

by magentatechie in Re: T-Mobile support says Galaxy Watch LTE only compatible with Samsung Galaxy S7 and higher in T-Mobile Support - View magentatechie's reference to you

Participate in the conversation by replying to this email

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• magentatechie

I definitely understand where you're coming from.  I will say that the T-Mobile support is likely working from their only available information, some of which comes straight from Samsung.  On the site, it says specifically:

4G LTE standalone connectivity only available on Samsung Galaxy Watch LTE version. Standalone voice calling on LTE version requires initial pairing with eligible Samsung Galaxy device and separate qualifying wireless plan.

What I think they are missing is the word initial, which hints that the device pairing can be transferred to another device after activating with an eligible Samsung phone.

My list of instructions that I have posted here comes from a combination of the Samsung website and user accounts from this site.

I have spread the instructions to as many T-Mobile folks as I can, hopefully the procedure can become more widespread so more folks can be helped.

• magentatechie

Edit: I mistakenly said non-T-Mobile, I meant to say non-Samsung!! Sorry for the mistype! 

• tmo_mike_c

My apologies we weren't able to set up your watch. That's totally not the best impression but we do have content both internally and external that show compatible devices you can use with the watch.