Need iPhone unlocked

pherg

So I was a T-Mobile customer up until 2016 when we decided to switch providers. I had purchased an iPhone 5s during the time I was with T-Mobile, which had long since been paid off before I went with a different provider. However, during the time I was with T-Mobile, I had some problems with my phone which Apple covered under their warranty and issued me a replacement phone. I now have a need to use the iPhone 5s but when I went to use it, the phone won’t work. I contacted Apple who said the phone was locked by T-Mobile. I have been working with T-Mobile support for the past two days who can’t even seem to find my account, even by using the account number from my old bills. They also cannot find the IMEI number, which may be due to the fact that my phone was replaced by Apple. T-Mobile support said they would research my issue further and get back to me. Today I received an email from Customer Service stating the following:

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, this subscriber is not eligible to receive the unlock code at this time. In order to be eligible, the device must show at least one day of usage 40 days or more prior to the date of this request. Please submit a new request after this requirement has been met.

Thank You,

Customer Service

T-Mobile USA, Inc.

I don’t know how to “show at least one day of usage” when I’m no longer with T-Mobile and I can’t use the phone with another carrier. This phone belongs to me and I should be able to use it with whichever carrier I choose. Any help from anyone would be very much appreciated.

All replies

• gramps28

Re: Need iPhone unlocked

You need to have the imei# of the new phone added to Tmobile's data base.

Your best bet is to contact T-Force through Tmobile's Facebook messenger and ask them

to look into this issue for you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • magentatechie

Oh, dear, I'm terribly sorry about this pickle you're in!  I know folks across all carriers have had this same issue, where an Apple replacement locks itself to the first SIM that is inserted.  Was the original phone unlocked from T-Mobile before it was exchanged? I ask because I stumbled across a fascinating thread from another carrier whose user retroactively requested an unlock on the original defective phone (after Apple had replaced the phone) and boom! Unlock!   DISCLAIMER! NO CLUE IF THIS IS REALLY A THING!  I'm just terribly curious if it would actually work across the board (or if the information is outdated, or what).  Just an interesting blurb.

I also agree that the IMEI must be updated in T-Mobile's system before they can be of any help with the unlock, so do reach out to T-Force via Facebook or Twitter ASAP to get their help. 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • pherg

I appreciate the responses from gramps28 and magentatechie. We were still on T-Mobile service when the phone was exchanged, so I'm guessing it was still locked then. And unfortunately I don't have the IMEI from the original phone and my guess is T-Mobile won't provide it if I ask.

I'm actually messaging with T-Force right now on the issue. Not sure if we're making any progress yet. We're going over the same things we went over at the retail store and on the phone with customer service for two days.

Again, thank you for your responses.

• magentatechie

You are correct that they won't likely provide the IMEI to you over the phone, however, if they are able to pull up your old account, they can see and request an unlock of the original phone from their systems.  Again, this is pure speculation but my, wouldn't it be wonderful to finally have an answer to this issue that has plagued so many in the past!

Best of luck to you!  I'm hoping that T-Force will be able to provide a speedy solution!

• tmo_amanda

Hey, pherg!

There has been a lot of helpful info passed around here. Did you make any progress while working with T-Force or do you have an update for us?

• pherg

So late last week I worked with two people at T-Force who were able to find that my phone's IMEI had been used on my account and were able to pass through an unlock order. On Saturday I was able to connect my phone to a different provider's network without any issues. T-Force also followed up with me later that day to ensure things were working, which I appreciated. They did say I would receive an email when the phone was unlocked which I never received, which wasn't that big of a deal since I was checking my phone every couple of hours. I only mention it to let other people know who are waiting for an email to continue to test your phone to see if it has been unlocked.

So my advice to people struggling to get their phone unlocked; don't start with the people at the retail stores or regular Customer Service. Go straight to T-Force. Also, if you're leaving T-Mobile, be sure to request your phone(s) be unlocked.

Again, my thanks to T-Force and the helpful people on these community boards.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • tmo_amanda

Gosh, what a fantastic update to read, pherg! I'm so happy to hear that T-Force was able to get your iPhone unlock request processed for the correct IMEI. I appreciate you passing along some words of wisdom as well.