Group Text Messages Delays

vashwood

I JUST switched over from Sprint last week, and I've been having Group Test Messages Delays. I am so frustrated that I'm really thinking of switching back to Sprint.

I have an iPhone7. Group texts work fine if they are all iOS devices. But if there is 1 android device, then I start seeing delays.

I already talked to the technical team on the phone and I already toggled the appropriate settings and did a 'reset network settings', but the issue is still there.

Is there a fix yet?

Message was edited by: tmo_amanda to update post title per OP

All replies

• magentatechie

Re: Group Test Messages Delays

Hey there, I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles!  My main question is do you have SMS enabled on your iPhone?  Android users have a hard time receiving messages sent on a data connection unless it is through a specific app, like Hangouts. My daughter has it on her iPad and we group chat with her father (Also Android like myself).  Perhaps it's worth a try?  I know it would be a pain to utilize another app just to reach out to an Android user, but I would be curious to see if it worked better than iMessage.  I have even read that if JUST the Android user switches to Hangouts as the default messaging app, the group message delays were put to an end.  Make sure to start a new thread if you and your friends decide to go that route.

Also, some report delays when they are on WiFi, could this be the case?

Also, Send a group message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support says that group messages sent through SMS can't see the other messages in the thread.  Has your Android friend experienced this?

I hope I was able to provide some useful information! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

• vashwood

Yes. It is enabled. My settings on my phone are exactly the same as when I

was on Sprint (where everything worked perfectly). It isn't android that is

having a hard time receiving the texts. I am able to send my group text out

and everyone is receiving them properly. The problem is I am experience a

long delay when I am trying to receive the a response from the group text.

Using another app does not seem like a real solution. Everything was

working perfectly when I was not with T-Mobile

• magentatechie

Ahhhh, I see. I apologize for misunderstanding.  According to Group Message delay on iPhone 7plus , one user did the research and found threads indicating that it is a widespread issue occuring almost exclusively with AT&T and T-Mobile.  One can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with CDMA vs GSM. Just a theory.

Folks on the same thread really did report success utilizing apps such as Facebook Messenger or Snapchat.  I know it's not ideal, but I would definitely be curious to see if it makes a difference.

• vashwood

Those apps work fine but I'm not going to ask all of my friends and family

to install additional apps because is the short falls here.

I would really want TMobile to figure this out. I really like what TMobile

is offering but this issue may be a deal breaker for me. I would hate to

miss (or delay) an important family group text. (My extended family uses

this a lot to communicate)

***I just realized I had a typo in my subject. Can you fix it for me? It meant to say Group Text Messages Delays***

• magentatechie

Right, that would be a huge hassle for everyone.  I wish I had a better solution for you.  Apparently this has been ongoing for a really long time, at least what I gather from this forum, Reddit, and Android Central.

Perhaps one of our mods can check known issues and see if there is any info about this problem?  I know T-Mobile would hate to lose you, especially since you're happy save for this specific issue!

• tmo_amanda

Re: Group Text Messages Delays

Hey, vashwood!

I updated the title on your main post but all other replies on here will have the original title.

As far as your delayed group texts go, does this happen with all group text or just with a certain group? Generally, how long is the message delayed (that you're aware of)? How many people are included in the group text? Do you know if this happens only on WiFi or on-network? Or does it make no difference which you're connected to? Lastly, if you go to Settings > Phone > My Number, does it show your phone number or does it say "unknown"?

Sorry for the laundry list of questions but I appreciate you getting back to me so we can figure out why this is happening.

• vashwood

The messages have been delayed from as low as 30min to as long as 4 hours. I have only tested it with a group of 3 (myself (ios) and 2 android users). And it has only happened on WIFI whether its my home or public WIFI. And when I go under those settings, it shows my number.

• tmo_amanda

Thank you for the update, vashwood! When you receive texts from the two android users, do they ever separate out of the group thread (ie. individual texts)? Do you have a different group that you're able to test the group SMS feature with? I understand that ultimately you need group texts to work in a timely fashion with the group of 3 -- we just need to narrow down what's going on.

Just to confirm, group texts sent and received while on the network work as they should, correct?

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

Amanda asked some really good questions. Can you gives a reply to those and let us know if you still need help. Thanks!