charge of an international usage

kterawaki

I just called customer service (twice, first call dropped , never I received a call back)  to dispute a charge of an international usage.  The calls in question where made to VM each for 7 min each during cruise sail time. I would like to highlight that I never hold more than 4 to 5 VM and I do not check periodically VM (shows in my account).

As you know, cruise lines block phones to make phone call,s unless you use their system.  Therefore, I am 100% sure those call aren't mine as my phone was in the safe box in my room.

Customer service said that the calls were made and there is nothing that they can do about it.  I am over 12 years customer with two products (phone and watch), never been late on my bill showing a pretty steady customer behavior.

Now, I am searching to switch companies, just because the principal of a customer service without any recognition of the time being nor the loyalty to T-Mobile. Unhappy customer.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: charge of an international usage

If I understand your complaint properly, you are saying that someone called your phone while you were on a cruise ship, the calls went to voicemail and you were charged cruise ship roaming fees to receive the calls? Is that right?

Here's what happens. When your phone roams on a foreign carrier (e.g. "Cellular at Sea") the roamed carrier sends a roaming registration, telling T-Mobile that your phone is active on their system. This registration is supposed to be deregistered by the roamed carrier after a certain period if they don't see your phone's signal on their system. Many foreign carriers cheat and keep telling home carriers (e.g. T-Mobile) that your phone is active, when it is not. This is because when they get an incoming call, they get to make money both for the incoming part of the call and for the return call to your voicemail system. Technically, if you turn your phone off, while connected to the roamed system, they are supposed to send a message to T-Mobile that says that your phone is turned off. I'm not sure if they all do this, or not, for the same reason I mentioned earlier.

T-Mobile used to allow customers to turn off all forwarding to voicemail but a number of years ago they implemented something called Default Conditional Forwarding (DCF) which reactivates forwarding to voicemail if you turn off conditional forwarding. I call this, "The customer is an idiot mode." and I hate it. I used to be able to get Tech Support to turn DCF off on my account but they won't do that any longer.

This means the only solutions the customer has to avoid call forwarding costs in expensive roaming locations (like cruise ships) is to either, 1) turn his phone off before getting on the ship or 2) forward all incoming calls to voicemail.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • kterawaki

Thank you so much.  I remember years ago, T-Mobile had a loyalty program that was helping long term customers.  Now is like to talk with qualifier operator that just do what they said.   It is an unfortunate situation.

Kenji

• magentatechie

I am in total agreement that coming home to a huge bill is a complete buzzkill and I'm so sorry you had to experience that.  As you have been such an amazingly loyal customer, I can't believe they don't have any help or solutions for you.  Did you escalate to a manager or reach out to T-Force via Facebook or Twitter? (Check for the links in tmo_chris' signature)

I wish you the best of luck in getting this rectified, I know T-Mobile will be really missing out by losing a customer with your rare brand of loyalty!

• tmo_chris

Hey kterawaki

I am very sorry that you had to come back from your relaxing cruise only to have to deal with charges on your T-Mobile bill If your phone was on, it is possible that it was connected to the cruise ship network and the network attempted to deliver the call to your phone. Since there was no answer, you are charged for the call being sent back to the voicemail system. In most cases, you are only charged for 1 minute but depending on the network your phone is connected to, you may also be charged for the length of the voicemail which in your case, it sounds like the latter.

Do you remember if your phone was powered on when you put it in the safe?

• kterawaki

It was in a airplane mode....

• tmo_chris

kterawaki - That is very interesting. Typically, the network will only bill calls that originate from the lines SIM card. If our care teams looked at these calls and saw that they were valid charges, we would not have a way to credit them. Please know that we do appreciate your loyalty and would be very sad to see you go over this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful