new high speed intl data pass. Needs re-activation daily??!

dosers

I am perplexed at the new international high-speed add on option. I used to be able to buy an add-on for 10 days. I now see it's 24h at $5. If I need it for 7 days, does this mean I have to - while traveling to boot - re-active this manually EVERY SINGLE DAY now? That's the last thing I want to worry about.

I don't mind the price - but there has to be a way to automate that for, say, 7 days in a  row? Or bring back the old plans & scheduling.. ?!

AT&T and Verizon have that flexibility! Usually T-Mobile drives innovation, but seems to be lacking here now.

All replies

• magentatechie

According to On Demand Data Passes , you can have 2 set up at once to allow for subsequent connections.

My understanding is that you can set it up for a second pass to take effect when the first pass expires or data has elapsed, whichever occurs first.

I know this is a bit of a change if you're used to being able to have the 7 day passes, I'm really sorry for your inconvenience there.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • dosers

Thank you for the reply,

and I understand that.

However, this makes is really, really inconvenient and much worse that a) what AT&T, Verizon etc offer, and b) much less attractive than what T-Mobile did before.

Picture traveling for 10 days in foreign countries, and now having to think about (10h ahead to boot) to re-activate this manually EVERY DAY (or, yes, maybe every 2 days). It’s a major pain compared to the 10 days (it was 10, not 7 prior) that you could schedule in advance and then forget about.

AT&T & Verizon still offer that, PLUS a daily option. Why not T-Mobile?

I would ask you to take this feedback and escalate; I think a lot of traveller that are longtime T-Mobiel customers would be unhappy with that.

Thank you,

Daniel Osers

• cyber7

On my last international trip a few months ago I found the 10 day 2 gb data pass was gone. i called T-Mo support and they were puzzled as they didn't know of a change. 24 hours later, it was back and I didn't worry about it as I figured there was a website or database glitch that had been fixed.

Having just arrived in Europe, I discovered the glitch was apparently the 10 day pass reappearing since all that is now available is a 1 day pass for $5 - which means 10 days is $50 ... the original 10 day pass was $20.

I have to agree with others that this is not a good move and a disservice to T-Mo customers. It would appear that the "un-carrier" is becoming "un-useful". If anyone from T-Mo actually reads or pays attention to these postings you need to sit up and watch. I too will start shopping around. T-Mo just lost my trust by covertly making this change. Clearly T-Mo is no longer so "un" and is becoming just another carrier.

So sad to see the rot set in at T-Mo.

• tmo_chris

Hey folks! We greatly appreciate the feedback! We are always looking for ways to make our services more flexible and give you the most value for your money.

The old 10 day pass was only 1GB of data over 10 days for $20 and we saw that customers were chewing through that very quickly. The new pass gives you 512 MB of data for $5 and gives the added bonus of unlimited Simple Global to Simple Global calling which the old feature did not have. For the same $20, you will now get 2GB of data and 4 days worth of unlimited calling when in a Simple Global country calling another Simple Global country.

I know that having to add the pass more frequently is not nearly as convenient as adding it once every 10/20 days but we hope that you are able to find the added value in this newer feature.

• cyber7

Thanks for noticing the input here. I really appreciate hearing the logic and apparent "thinking" behind this change. That said:

The feedback to you is: bring back the 10 day 2 GB international pass!

For most of us (I suspect) it was quite sufficient and it is far easier to renew that one either at the 10 day boundary or when bandwidth got low - there was a very efficient warning text message mechanism.

Your suggestion that the 512MB 1 day pass for $5 is a "better deal" of course is not the case. You need to think about the bother and cost to a T-Mo customer of doing that ridiculous day by day renewal - it swamps the $5 you are charging.

This is a seriously regressive step for T-Mo and I personally suggest you listen to our input and re-enable the 10 day pass ...

It you don't, my personal solution will be to buy a wireless hotspot that I can put a pan-European SIM card in (I travel a lot to Europe). It will solve the problem for me for about the same cost, possibly less, per month and I don't have to worry about daily renewals. Once every 10 days, I would stick with you. Once a day - well, I've better things to do with my time. You might consider the implication of that as it then causes all of us to re-evaluate T-Mo as a carrier since you seem to be behaving as a carrier and not "the un-carrier" ... perhaps you should tell John L that since he likes to say that a lot.

Continue in this path and you'll be the same as the others - AT&T, Verizon, etc.

Listen to our feedback and that proves you are not.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • magenta6185149

Could not agree more - I joined T-Mobile for the international options and this is a pathetic step backward.

Another function removed is the separate billing / purchase method for the pass. I could easily create a separate transaction for the $20 / 10 day pass when I travel. Now it gets added onto the monthly bill and the $20 / 10 day option is gone.

@tmo_chris - the attempt to present this as a "added value" is ridiculous  and seems counter to your (rapidly diminishing) "un-carrier" brand - data is the crucial thing when abroad, not calling, and daily activation is a major annoyance.

I would like to see a longer data plan as well.  I get that T-Mobile can and may raise prices at any time, but at least offer a weekly package at a lower rate than the daily $5.

The fact that you'd have renew every day is most inconvenient, I would think the last thing one wants to do when travelling is having to constantly renew your phone's data plan.

In addition I'd like to get clarification on the On-Demand Data pass options.  I'm on the family Simple Choice plan, my on-demand data pass options are as follows:

-----

On-Network Data 1 Day-500 MB $5.00

Provides up to 500 MB of high-speed data for 24 hours. Smartphone Mobile HotSpot included. Additional passes can be purchased as needed once this single use pass expires.

On-Network Data 1 Week - 1 GB $10.00

Provides up to 1 GB of high-speed data for 1 week. Smartphone Mobile HotSpot included. Additional passes can be purchased as needed once this single use pass expires.

24 Hour Global Pass $5.00

Includes up to 512MB of high speed data, unlimited calling and Smartphone Mobile Hotspot for 24 hours from the time of purchase in over 210 countries and destinations globally.

Limit 2 passes in 24 hour period; start of the 2nd pass resets the 24 hour period.

-----

So, would you please confirm that the only option for me to add high-speed international is the 24-hour global pass?  The other On-Network Data options are strictly for domestic data, correct?  The T-Mo customer service personnel weren't even sure if the two On-Network Data options cover high-speed international data.  There seems to be a lot of confusion.

• magenta6181826

The frustration is different for me. I actually like the new plan and find it beneficial, however the fact that business customers are unable to add the pass on the app (despite having master privileges), and are required to either call in or message TMO support every single day to add a new pass is a complete and utter dealbreaker. If we were able to add the passes on the T-MO app, I wouldn’t really have an issue with it, but having to deal with support (which let’s be honest, aren’t always the quickest or most knowledgeable folks when it comes to account features) every day whilst abroad is really unreasonable.