Cannot Receive MMS (LG G7 ThinQ)

kidisaster

Hello,

Recently I have been having issues receiving MMS. This has been happening across two devices and two different messaging apps, whether I am connected to Wifi or data.

First noticed it a few months ago with my Samsung S7 Edge using Textra as my primary messaging app. Every once in a while I would get a notification saying "Could not receive MMS, retry?" but retrying never seemed to do anything. For the most part I ignored this.

I recently upgraded to a LG G7 ThinQ and was initially using Textra as well, but I noticed the same problem again. In an effort to fix this I have since uninstalled Textra and started using the default messaging app that comes on the phone. I have also checked the APN settings as I've seen mentioned in other threads. I am using the default T-Mobile settings. I tried creating a new APN following the guidelines in other threads but that didn't help so I have reset to default settings again.

I never have any issue *sending* MMS, only receiving, and it's only some of the time. Other times I am able to receive picture and video messages with no issue. When it happens is seemingly completely random, but it's very annoying to be missing messages in group conversations only to find out about it later. Since switching back to the default app, this is what I see when a message does not come through: https://i.imgur.com/tKR1cVB.png

Hitting download only results in another failure. Have tried on both data and wifi with no difference. Have also tried cycling airplane mode, rebooting the device, clearing the cache and force quitting the message app etc. No difference. Other messaging apps such as Whatsapp, Kik, Facebook Messenger etc don't seem to have any issue. It's only MMS.

Any ideas on other things I can try?

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Cannot Receive MMS (LG G7 ThinQ)

That's rough having this issue even when it's random. Is this only happening within the group message or does this also happen with MMS coming from just a single sender? If you do click the download option, does it work or do you get an error message?

• tmo_amanda

Re: Cannot Receive MMS (LG G7 ThinQ)

Happy Monday, kidisaster!

I just wanted to swing by to see if you've had a chance to look over MC's reply from last week. We're curious if this is only happening with one group message party or if you have receiving issues when just receiving a MMS from a single user. You also mentioned that this happens on and off of WiFI - does location matter? or does it happen everywhere?

Keep us updated so we can continue to search for answers!