Customer service: store vs online

fkenpmaes

I've been with T-Mobile for over ten years, and over the years, I can really feel the improvement on the company's customer service.

I recall back then on how I would prefer to show up in a store because calling the 800 number means being on hold for half hour, with the person on the other line just eager to close your ticket and hang up.

Last week, I upgraded my phone that was on lease, which means I have to turn in the old one. I spent my Sunday morning doing a factory reset on the device before heading to a store here in Astoria NY - we are lucky enough to have two T-Mobile store within ten blocks from each other, so I went to the one by 37th Street and Ditmars as it was less busy. I walked in and a lady was helping a customer, so another guy came out of the back office to assist me. I said I got a new phone, and I need to turn in the old one. He asked where I got the new one, and I said I got it online, to which he replied I have to call customer service so I can ship back the old device. I said I checked online and it said I can go to any retail store to turn in the old device. He said he can't help me.

I was bewildered, and I initially thought, maybe it impacts their sales negatively if I return it to them? I really did not understand why they wouldn't accept the old device.

As I was walking to the other T-Mobile store, I tweeted T-Mobile and I got a reply within a few minutes. I decided to get out of the line from the very busy store and figured, maybe the guys over at Twitter can help me out.

A Kyle V helped me out and said he's surprised as well, as they need to have someone physically check the condition of the old device before they can accept it. He then reached out to the store and reached back to me to tell me the store would inspect the device.

I went back to the store and the lady assisted me. The other guy refused to come out of the back office - his coworker, who had questions, actually went back and forth between the back office and register as she had questions that I suppose he can assist her with. Another customer showed up and even then, he did not come out. Maybe he was in an extended break.

Kyle from T-Mobile's Twitter page told me it was just a misunderstanding and the guy from the store did not understand why I was there for. Something that could have been avoided if he asked more questions.

At the end of all of it, I was able to turn in my old device. And it's funny how someone behind a keyboard was able to help me better than someone I was face to face with. Some stores could really learn a lot about customer service from their T-Force team.

All replies

• dc5fan

Re: Customer service: store vs online

I would like to put in my 2 cents. I have only been a customer since last September. My first encounter with a T-Mobile  was tosign up for a PAYG account to purchase the SIM card. In the coming 2 weeks I came back for info that seemed they weren't exactly too keen to help. Later I learned this was a third party store. Two gentlemen here, at least that is what they told me, suggested an LG Stylo 3 Plus. There is a corporate store in Champaign, il where I bought the phone. THEY WERE VERY HELPFUL! So, I don't go to any 3rd party stores. I have found the CS Dept (611) have been great too.

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Customer service: store vs online

Wow, I'm sorry you didn't get the same service you got from our social media folks. You deserve a great experience regardless of whether it's in the store, over the phone, or via Twitter. We appreciate the feedback and thanks for giving our T-Force team a chance to help you out. I'm glad to hear this was taken care of.