Slow speeds after switching to T-Mobile ONE

smark1

Up to a few weeks ago, I was enrolled in the prepaid plan which included 10GB data. Upon changing my plan to prepaid ONE for unlimited data, speeds seem to have gone down extremely! It's hard to even play a video at this point. In case you're wondering, I am attempting to use my data from the same location(s) as before, so nothing should had been different.

Any help is appreciated.

All replies

• jfkbulldog

Re: Slow speeds after switching to T-Mobile ONE

Hello, I live in MA, zip code 01702. I have been dealing with a slow connection speed issue for over 1.5 years.  It is not hardware or building related. It is tower, connection, location related. I can walk less than .5 Miles and I get LTE speeds of 40+MBPS. When i am at home I get .2 +/- MBPS. That is .2, not 2. The phone is a LG V20, stock. I have tried another brand new phone with exact same results. I originally thought that it was mobile hotspot causing the issue. That is not the case. I have no 3G towers anywhere close to me. It is not throttling or congestion either. Phone says that I am connected to LTE, but at the most i get 2.5 MBPS on a good day. I would like to know if i can change the settings for tower selections. T mobile could not give me any info. I pay for LTE, and T mobile brags about 5G, but I get 1998 data speeds.

T Mobile has not fixed the issue. The last tech representative that I spoke with was great, and did what he could to help me, It was much appreciated, but the problem still exists. He told me that the 1st bunch of calls I made, nobody even bothered to create a service ticket. You should get a ticket text message if they created one. I have called tech support repeatedly for a slow connection speed issue. Many, many times I have spent over an hour on the phone with "regular" representatives. I have heard and put up with very frustrating and untruthful responses including being put on hold for 10 min while the rep looked for his ID number. I was told that they closed the ticket without any type of resolution being noted, told the same ticket was still open and they were working on it. Told that I had to be put on hold for 10 minutes so the rep can try to find a tech person, came back said they didn't have any. I recorded the call and not exaggerating. Over and over with the same rep issues.

*****If anyone has resolved this type of problem please let me know. With 1 search for "slow" I see that I am not alone with this issue.

• tmo_chris

Hey smark1 

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with slow speeds! Have you had a chance to run a speed test to see what speeds you are getting? Are the videos you are playing in HD? Also, what happens if you change locations? Are the speeds any faster?

jfkbulldog

It definitely sounds like you are having a rough go here Have you heard anything back on the last ticket that was filed for you that you mentioned?

• smark1

1. The first screenshot shows my speed upon connecting my laptop to my phone's hotspot (speed test was conducted w/t laptop).

2. The second one, shows my data connection speed  while not using a hotspot (speed test was conducted w/t phone).

(Keep in mind that I have the regular $70 ONE plan BUT, bought a daily HD pass for the purpose of these speed tests)

That being said, why is there such a HUGE gap in download speeds when using a hotspot vs not using a hotspot? I tend to work a lot from remote locations where WiFi is not accessible, so being able to set up a moderate speed internet connection through my phone's hotspot would be great. Keep in mind that I am NOT planning to use my phone's hotspot to stream HD or non HD videos (I can do that with my phone instead). My question is, as to why text and image based webpages take forever to load when my laptop is connected to my phone's hotspot? What is causing this MASSIVE drop in download speeds?

• dragon1562

What One play do you have specifically? If it is the base plan than video is limited to 480p. Based on testing this means about a 1.5mb connection. If you get the one plus plan and enable your HD pass this should alleviate the issue for you unless there is heavy congestion. You can check by running a speedtest.

• smark1

I have the regular ONE Plus plan BUT, bought the daily HD pass to conduct the speed tests shown above.

• dragon1562

The regular one plan throttles hotspot data to 3g speed. I misunderstood your use case and assumed it was on device use. If you want full speed hotspot data you can get the one plus plan and have 10Gb of LTE data or the One Plus International and have unlimited LTE hotspot. Hotspot data will always be deprioritized though on the network as a way to manage network use so that people on their phones can do what they need(I.e phone calls, texts, and data).

• tmo_chris

Thanks for the tests smark1. That is quite the deference in speeds.

Just to clear up a couple bits of confusion, The HD pass has no impact on your tethering speeds but rather your ability to stream video on your device at HD. Also, the One Pluse international that had "Unlimited LTE Hotspot" is no longer an available feature as it has been grandfathered.

If you go to the T-Mobile app and on the "Home" tab, scroll down just a tad and tap "Get the details" under Your Usage, can you expand the Mobile hotspot toggle and see how much you have used on your line?

• smark1

Also, I want to make it clear that this threat is without a doubt NOT resolved yet. T-Mobile support needs to take responsibility and not mark ongoing threads as resolved.