Cant send sms only

nark

So I'm having an odd problem. I can't seem to send an SMS to anyone, except other people who have tmobile. I've tried this with afew people. I can send a .gif or group message and everyone gets it, I can send a .gif to a non tmobile person and they get it, but when it comes to a simple text....nothing. I get no error on my side, it even time stamps and appears to be sent, but nothing ever actually gets delivered to them. I'm at a 100% loss as I've run through so many things I've seen in other forums and the tmobile trouble shooting and this has plagued be for about 2 weeks now (I didnt know at first until it started affecting work and I got called out on it then I realized how long this has been a thing). Any advice is gladly welcome at this point, feel like I'm carrying around a $900 brick. Thanks.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Cant send sms only

What device are you using?  (e.g. did you buy it from T-Mobile or elsewhere?)

Which plan do you have?

Did the person you're trying to send a text to recently move their number?

• nark

I'm using an S9+, bought it at the tmobile store. Just have the base plan, have had this plan for years. It's not just one person, I've tested it with multiple people and everyone who doesnt recieve my texts is non tmobile.

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm, super strange but thanks for that info. Are you using the standard messaging app? Do you get an error on your side or is the other person just not getting it?

• nark

Standard messaging app, also tried 2 others, same deal. No error the messages even time stamp for me like they are delivered and turning on delivery confirmation I get those, the other person never receives them.

I took it to a tmobile store, I was there for about 2 hours. They did everything they could think of, there was a samsung rep there and he had no clue. They gave me a new sim, swapped my sim to a different phone and still the same problem sending texts from my number but the other dudes stuff all worked on my phone. Still nothing is fixed.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, nark!

This sounds like a provisioning issue on our end (which store employees may not have access to see). It could be as simple as us resending an update over-the-air or a trouble ticket with our Engineers. You'll want to call 611 to work with tech support, or you can work with T-Force over Facebook/Twitter that can do the same thing as over the phone.

• nark

Ive had 2 tickets in with the engineers so far, Still have the problem and its going on about 3+ weeks total with this(I posted here well after the original onset).

Ill try and list everything ive done this far

• 2 phone calls to support, 2 visits to a tmobile store, 2 tickets that went up to engineers and nothing really came of that
                            • someone when i called support reset the signal\network thingy, didnt work
                            • Went to the store got a new sim card, wasnt the sim
                            • switched my sim card into a different phone, was still unable to text, the person who put their sim in my phone was able to text from my phone no problem, its not the phone
                            • I did all the basic trouble shooting/resetting of apps and whatnot
                            • Factory reset my phone
                            • Tried 3 different messaging apps, none worked
                            • Ive been given every reason imaginable why this is happening, it was my sim (it wasnt), phone (it wasnt), the area I was sending texts (its not)

As of now they are sending me a new phone to my tmobile store (not sure this is going to fix anything as someone elses sim works just fine in it, and the problem followed me to the other phone). I asked if hypothetically the new phone doesnt work, then what happens was given

• nark

Just a quick update in case anyone cares.Got the new phone and it didnt fix the problem, they tried a new sim also (3rd sim now) and it didnt fix the problem.

But, I asked them if maybe it was the number, they changed my number and bam instantly I could text everyone who was sprint/verizon. So it was my number of all things that couldnt send sms off of tmobiles network. No idea, im just glad it works now.