No data overseas with iPhone 6s

magenta5954887

I am in Italy for my 25th anniversary. In May I was in Spain and although my iPhone 6s connected to the carriers and data roaming was on, I could only make voice calls - could not connect to the internet. I spent hours on the phone in Spain with Tmobile and finally the tech rep said it was probably a device issue and I could not get a resolution (my iPhone was purchased through Tmobile).  Because of that problem, I called Tmobile before coming to Italy and the rep said to just call if there was an issue but there shouldn't be one in Italy. Unfortunately, I have spent most of my first hours in Italy on the phone with the same problem again. Nothing works, restarting, toggling data roaming on and off, switching carriers, reseting all settings. Last night I received a voice mail from Alex the tech rep that I need to do a master reset. Pretty sure I did that in May so probably won't work again. If anyone has any fixes or suggestions, please let me know.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: No data overseas with iPhone 6s

I assume you have sent #RON# from your phone. You've also tried selecting different carriers.

Have you used a TCP/IP PING utility to check that you actually have no data at all, not just really slow data?

What is shown on information bar at the top of the screen? (e.g. LTE, 3G, H, E, etc?)

You've talked with T-Mobile, so we can assume that your account is properly provisioned for international data.

Some countries have issues with IPv4 & IPv6 APNs but I can't believe that would be an issue in Italy.

Does the iPhone 6 have a setting that turns off IPv6 and puts it into IPv4-only mode? I don't think you can add new APNs on the iPhone. If you can I'd suggest that you add a new APN of "epc.tmobile.com" and see if it works. (Just grabbing at straws.)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • magenta5954887

I have the Simple Choice International Plan so it should automatically link to a carrier and allow data. My kids who are on my plan have had no troubles doing so. However, I have tried #RON# (#766#) as suggested by text support. Same thing - I can link to the tower (Vodafone, TIM, etc) and get up to 4 bars with 3G but when I try to access the internet, I receive the message ""Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network". I can make phone calls and receive SMS messages. Thank you for your suggestions but am not tech savvy enough to decipher them. I will try to visit the Apple Store in Florence tomorrow to see if they can help me. Still have not received a call back from the tech guy Alex as promised. We were on the phone all day yesterday troubleshooting and I missed his last call last night. Called Tech Support and left him a message to call me. Perhaps it is an iPhone 6s issue as my kids who have iPhone SE models do not have the same problem. I purchased my phone through Tmobile

• drnewcomb2

If you're with your kids, you might try swapping SIMs. If the problem moves with the SIM, it's an account issue. If the problem stays with the phone, I'd assume there's something wrong with the phone.

This is a weird  problem. Normally it's either an account provisioning or APN issue. If your data worked in the US, and roaming is turned on and provisioned, it should work in Italy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • magenta5954887

drnewcomb2- thanks for your suggestions. Went to Apple Firenze today and we solved the problem. Tmobile does not show APN in the settings. I purchased a Vodafone plan yesterday (which also did not work), but the Apple genius was able to view the APN and change the settings to allow the SIM card to work. When I asked him to please change the APN for the Tmobile SIM, he was unable to do so because Tmobile does not show APN in the settings. He worked with the phone for a while and found a Rakuten profile in my settings (I used a Rakuten SIM card on my last trip to Tokyo). He deleted the Rakuten profile and after doing so, my Tmobile SIM card finally worked. Apparently, the Rakuten profile was controlling the APN and we either had to manually change the APN or delete the Rakuen profile. I find it strange that my Tmobile worked in the US and Germany and not in Italy and Spain but it must be some kind of country specific issue. Anyway, now my Tmobile SIM and Vodafone SIM are both working. Thank goodness. Hopefully this post will help others who have similar issues because Tmobile Tech never even checked my APN.

• drnewcomb2

I'm going to have to add "Check for leftover foreign APNs." to my checklist. It never crossed my mind that a previously used APN would have gotten "stuck" in your phone. I don't claim to be an iPhone expert. Glad that the Apple folks were able to help.

Enjoy Italy. I hope it's not too hot in August. Many smaller hotels there are not air conditioned. I'm trying to recall the name of the trattoria we enjoyed so much in Florence.

1 of 1 people found this helpful