Think i made a wrong decision..

skuhn1

So yesterday I switched from verizon to t Mobil after checking with their service map to make sure there was coverage in our neighborhood. It showed we should have good coverage. I had to order a phone and am using my verizon phone until it comes in. Well , despite what the coverage map says, there is no signal or service in about 90% of my neighborhood, including my house. So today I go back to get one of those personal cell spot things which I was told would boost the signal and give me service. The power light on that thing has been blinking green all day and has never started up. This leaves me to believe the service map is a big fat lie and there is no service in my area despite what I'm being told.

All replies

• snn555

Re: Think i made a wrong decision..

for the LTE cellspot to work you need to be a T-Mobile customer and have it activated which being so new it may not be activated yet as well as the GPS may take several minutes to several hours to lock onto a signal. If you have home internet TMobile may still have some available cellspot routers though that is not guaranteed as that program was ceased months ago.

However the status lots of the cellspot are not an indication of map correctness or network coverage.  the LTE cellspot is designed to create a signal where there was none to begin with using your home internet connection.

Now if you're talkin about an LTE booster it needs at least one bar.

• skuhn1

My t mobil account was activated yesterday. The sales person told me last night I would have to wait 24 hours to use the cell spot. So today I went and picked it up since I have no service in my neighborhood. I get service outside of my neighborhood. However the cell spots power button has been blinking for about 7 hours now and has not set up. This is what makes me think there really is no service to this area, contrary to what the map states. I have to go about 2 miles in either direction from my home to pick up a signal.

• snn555

Is this a cellspot booster or an LTE cellspot? Is it one unit or a base and a window unit? If it is a booster you need at least one bar. If it is a LTE cellspot it creates it's own signal. In that case the maps have no bearing.

• skuhn1

It's a 4g LTE personal cellspot. It's the one you plug into the modem and stick the GPS in the window.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

• snn555

sounds like most likely it has not been activated yet. Despite having a GPS a lock and being plugged into the modem, did you don't get a signal lock because it has not been activated more than likely.

I have more than once heard about these being sent back and then sent to another customer if a customer turns one back in and it has not been cleared and reset for which only TMobile can reset. Even new ones can be improperly activated.

• tmo_chris

Sorry to hear you are having trouble getting coverage in your home! The LTE Cellspot is a great device to supplement your in-home coverage. We have been having some issues with specific ISPs and delayed registrations with the cellspots. Is your device working correctly yet?

• revbillt

You think you made a bad decision switching to T-Mobile? I KNOW that I made a bad decision. The service is absolute horrible and despite what they say about coverage, it is pathetic at best.

• stevetjr

If you are using a Verizon phone you most likely won't have Band 12 (low band) which ironically most of TMO's Band 12 (700 MHz) spectrum they got from Verizon.  The low band carries farther and penetrates better so fills in gaps better.  TMO's coverage maps you need to zoom in fairly close to get a more accurate/detailed look. 

• tmo_mike_c

Did you still need help? If so, please give us the info above so we can assist you further. Thanks.