Samsun Galaxy s9+ fails to unlock

ravan

I got S9+ from t-mobile on monthly plan. A month ago I paid up the full amount as I am planning to travel overseas for a month. I tried unlock app on the phone, but it did not work. Tried other carrier SIM, but that did not work either. T-mobile customer support asked me to factory reset and try UNLOCK app. The app failed - message 'unlock failed'. When I check IMIE # on Verizon and at&t website, it says not compatible with their network. Technical support asked to do factory reset and then try unlock. Nothing worked.

Made numeorus call to t-mobile support, result zero. I am to go overseas next week - not sure what I would do with a locked phone.

All replies

• gramps28

Re: Samsun Galaxy s9+ fails to unlock

It takes 40 days on a postpaid account to permently unlock the phone. Did you try temporary unlock from the app?

Also it takes a year or $100 in refills to permently unlock the phone using a prepaid plan.

• ravan

Went to a T-mobile store. Rep tried to unlock and did not work - he contacted tech support. I was told the same thing, a 40 day wait period. But after coming home and contacting t-mobile over the phone, phone, they are saying there is no such requirement, since phone is completely paid off.

Anyway, I tried temp lock, but that also gives the same error message "Unlocked fail". I hope 40 days wait time is really the reason, as it going to be over by this Friday.

• ravan

Even after 40 days ( from full payment for the device ), not able to unlock. Earlier, when contacted over the phone, I was told that the phone is already unlocked.

Now I am told, they see the phone as locked. Asking me to do the unlock process again. As per the customer support, no need to wait for 40 days.

The IMEI # is not available in database of all other carriers ( Verizon, AT&T, Sprint ), suggesting that the the phone is still LOCKED. T-mobile customer team has no idea or a clue about the how IMEI#s are used in any carrier systems. Tiring and frustrating - have given up. Looking for a new carrier now.

• gramps28

Unfortunately the rep doesn't know squat about the unlock policy.

Unlock your mobile wireless device

Unlock eligibility for phones, tablets, and mobile Internet devices on Postpaid plans like T-Mobile ONE

• The device must have been active on the T-Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line.
                  • If the device is financed using T-Mobile’s Equipment Installment Plan (EIP) ,or if it's leased through JUMP! On Demand™, all payments must be satisfied and the device must be paid in full unless otherwise specified.
                  • If the device is on an account that is under a service contract term, at least 18 consecutive monthly payments must have been made or the account must have migrated to Simple Choice no contract rate plan.
                  • If the device is associated with a canceled account, the account balance must be zero, including all pending charges.
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • magentatechie

Ouch!  I hate that you were given incorrect information by a rep, but the policy clearly states a 40 day usage requirement.  As in, the device has to be activated on a T-Mobile line of service and in use for at least 40 days. 

What exactly is the app telling you?  Is there an active T-Mobile SIM in the phone while you are attempting to run the unlock app?  How about your account? Is it in good standing (no payment arrangements or extended payment schedules)?

The IMEI checks that you are running from other carriers check for BLOCKS (for a lost or stolen device) or if the device is still being financed.  I can type my own IMEI into the T-Mobile checker and it says it's not eligible because I'm still making payments.  It does not indicate if the phone is still carrier locked.

• ravan

App saying unlock process failed.

Device is fully paid. No dues on account.

I was told repeatedly that my device is unlocked in the system. But today rep is seeing the device as locked in t-mobile system.   Clearly something is wrong. I am being asked to run the unlock process once again, but the app is not there. Is there a way you can send a link on the phone to get unlock app?

Sent from my iPhone

• ravan

Let me state clearly - unlock process said ‘unlock process failed. Device is already unlocked’.

Device is active more than 4 months now. Device fully paid 5 weeks ago.

Now t-mobile system says device is locked ( today’s finding by rep )

When I look on the web in my account it shows as unlocked.

Imei # 3xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone

• ravan

Why my imei# shows still blocked on other carriers sites? It has been fully paid.

What’s the way forward now?

Sent from my iPhone

• magentatechie

Oh, no, the screenshot I posted is with using your IMEI, I grabbed it before the mod blocked it out so I could check it on the other carrier's websites and IMEI.info.  (Don't worry, I'm quite trustworthy and have no malicious intentions with your number!) I can assure you, the issues you're seeing on the other websites have nothing to do with your device being locked or unlocked.  It just doesn't make sense. The check is just that- a check to see if the phone has been blacklisted as lost or stolen or if there is a balance.  They can't expect you to already have an unlocked phone before you initiate service with them.  Furthermore, though it pains me to say this, T-Mobile's contemporary software for accessing accounts is notoriously slow when it comes to updating device, IMEI, and unlock info.  So, if a T-Mobile rep says the phone is still locked, there is a possibility that they simply don't have updated information.  They can utilize a manual system to update the IMEI, but it still takes a while to show up in their system.

Did you try popping in the other carrier's SIM? Did you get the SIM not compatible message?

• ravana1

Hi - now since phone was not unlocked and not working on other carriers SIM, my family members have left t-Mobile, leaving this locked phone with me.

( for you last question - above, yes tried Verizon SIM, Selected Verizon Carrier from Network list, on NETWORK OPERATORS menu ,

Got a message registering on Verizon - after lot of spinning, received message that Failed to register the device )

Please Note :

1) Device Unlock app is STILL THERE on the phone

2) On executing the device unlock app --> Unlock Failed -Device is already unlocked.

3) turning ON the device without ANY SIM, see t-Mobile logo briefly on startup screen.

Doesnot that indicate that the Phone is still LOCKED?

• ravana1

Or Does that indicate that the Device Imei# is Blocked/blacklisted/unpaid device on T-Mobile?

• gramps28

Your family member who left the phone with you is going to have to contact Tmobile since the phone is not connected to the network

to request the unlock code since the app won't work.

• ravana1

PHONE IS CONNECTED TO THE NETWORK.

Still I have two lines on me

So I am using that phone,(s(9+ ) I have inserted my SIM  (t-mobile ) and it works. The question is about unlocking the phone.

IS IMEI# BLOCKED   OR IS THE PHONE LOCKED.

( Not sure how do you come with this logic - phone is not connected to the network).

• gramps28

If it's a Tmobile phone and it's works on the Tmobile network it's locked if it doesn't

work on another network.

If it doesn't work on Tmobile then it's blocked.

• ravana1

So, how to UNLOCK it? Why UNLOCK app is not working?

Can you please go over the entire conversation on this subject, instead of randomly typing meaningless sentences?

• ravana1

Please let me know if you can fix this unlock/lock issue? I can send this phone to your S/W tech dept or to your retail store to get this issue fixed. I have spend countless hours on phone talking to your team - and spent hours doing the same repeating process on the phone.

Please let me know if you can get the issue fixed?  I have no appetite to deal with the issue, would like to cut my losses and move on to some other carrier.

• magentatechie

gramps28 is right, if the phone is working on T-Mobile, it is not BLOCKED.  (This would only happen if the phone were reported lost, stolen, or had an unpaid balance.) And furthermore, we on the boards are only trying to help, there is no need to be rude. Seriously.  There's a lot of information in this post, so be sure to read through to the end before you do anything drastic to the phone as you may decide you don't want to after you have all of the information.

If the phone were LOCKED, when inserting another carrier's SIM, you would receive a very specific message regarding an invalid SIM.

If you were unable to register on Verizon's network, this could indicate an issue with the SIM, such as the SIM itself not being active on a Verizon plan.  It could also mean that you need to add a Verizon APN to your S9+ in order to connect properly.  Try inserting the SIM and create a new APN with Verizon's settings.

Go to Settings>Connections>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names

Press the + button.  If you don't see one, tap the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select Add New.  Enter the following:

Name: Verizon

APN: you can use either internet or vzwinternet

Proxy: <Leave in Blank>

Port: <Leave in Blank>

Username: <Leave in Blank>

Password: <Leave in Blank>

Server: <Leave in Blank>

MMSC: http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms

MMS proxy: <Leave in Blank>

MMS port: 80

MCC: 310

MNC: 012

Authentication type: <Leave in Blank>

APN type: <Leave Blank, if it doesn't work, try typing in default,supl,MMS exactly like that>

Tap the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select Save.

Ensure that your new APN is selected as indicated by a green dot next to the APN.

Reboot.  When the phone finishes the startup, if successful, you should see Verizon in the notification bar next to the time, as well as your signal bars and data speed indicator (4G LTE, 3G, etc).

Finally, if you have tried this and it still doesn't work- it's because the phone does not support Verizon's CDMA network and will not register.  This officially confirms exactly why the device is showing as not compatible with Verizon on their IMEI checker website, as I explained before- it does not check lock status, but BLOCK status, whether the device has a balance with it's current carrier, and if the bands are compatible.

BTW, regardless of which SIM you use in the phone, you may still see the T-Mobile screen on startup and this is not an indication of the phone's unlock status. 

A more accurate test would be to insert an AT&T SIM in the device as it utilizes the same GSM technology as T-Mobile.  You may still have to tweak the APN settings, but it will connect appropriately, unlike the Verizon SIM.  I confirmed this by checking your IMEI on the AT&T website and posted a screenshot above.