Solved

Galaxy s8+ crackling speakers??

• 23 August 2018
  • 8 replies

My S8+ recently started making a loud crackling noise. I didn't drop it or get it wet. I know it isn't a hardware issue, because I can open certain apps and hear the crackling even when the volume is all the way down. It mainly happens with videos on Facebook or videos on Snapchat. I've tried the speaker cleaners on youtube, but those didn't work. Also, I just installed the latest software updates and all my apps are up to date. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by magentatechie 25 August 2018, 17:35

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hey there! I'm sorry your S8+ is giving you a hard time.  I did a little research, and it appears that there are other folks who've also been having similar issues with the audio on their Galaxy.  Have you tried putting your phone into safe mode to see if the crackling sound persists?  You can do this by:

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
  3. When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.

If you don't hear the sound in safe mode, it's likely an app causing the issue.  You will want to think back to when the sound first started and if there were any new apps downloaded about that time. 

You might also want to try wiping the cache partition:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  4. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition.”
  5. Press the Power key to select.
  6. Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to select.
  7. When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
  8. Press the Power key to restart the device.

The last step, if all else fails, is a full factory reset (after you make sure your information, contacts, photos, etc is backed up!).

1. Settings menu and tap General Management > Reset > Factory data reset.
  2. Tap Reset.
  3. If you have screen lock turned on, enter your credentials.
  4. Tap Continue.
  5. Tap Delete all.

Finally, if you still hear the sound, you'll want to reach out to T-Mobile via 611, the "message us" link on this page, or T-Force via Facebook or Twitter because you'll need to process a warranty exchange (provided that it's a T-Mobile device and still covered under warranty).

Userlevel 4

Just checking in here to see how things are going? The steps from @magentatechie  are very helpful.

I started in safe mode and it was still there.

After wiping cache it still is there.

I'm backing up the phone now in order to perform a factory reset. Hopefully that works, because I'm not under warranty.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Oh, no! I've got my fingers crossed that it works for you!  Do you have insurance on the phone?  If so, you should be covered with the extended warranty.

After the full factory reset, it's still there. Unfortunately, I do not have insurance. I've always said great things about Samsung, but after this I think that's it for me.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Oh, man! That completely stinks, I'm so sorry that nothing worked to resolve your issue.  Thanks for keeping us updated!  I'm not sure if you would be interested, but there is an LG promotion happening right now that does not require a new line or port-in. 

Buy LG G7 and save up to $750 on select second LG phones

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!

I too am suddenly hearing the static noise on my Galaxy 8 plus.

On 8/20/21 I contacted TMobile about the data breach issue.  I was advised to change my password and PIN, which I did.

Since that time I have heard the static noise, like an untuned radio station - *but*, in my bedroom at night, when it’s really quiet, and I am lying in bed, I hear a noise like a far off radio station - voices but I cannot discern what they are saying, they are so faint.  They have the rhythm of a radio talk show or some such.

I have tried deleting apps, checking sound levels, etc., but at this moment (3:49 pm Los Angeles time), when I hold the phone to my ear, I can still hear the faint static noise.

Is somebody camped on my phone line?

Is there some app that got an update that triggered this phenomenon?

Is it dangerous?  Should I stop using the phone (in all other functions it seems normal).

Did something happen when I changed my password and PIN?

What is going on???

Janice

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

google how to boot the phone into safe mode..that will shut down all 3rd party apps and basically force it to run stock..then test to see if the same problem persists..if it doesnt then its being caused by a random app you downloaded..if it does continue then you might opt to factory reset your phone..