Band 12 no Data

themrberryhill

I recently moved from Oklahoma City to Greeley, CO. In OKC my data speeds were phenomenal, 170Mbps down and 40-50Mbps up. Now that I am here in CO I am now using Band 12. When my device, and there are several of them, is on Band 12 I get 0Kbps down and 0Kbps up - it is not usable. Additionally, when on Band 12 calls drop, it’ll ring on the callers end but not come through on my device, and texts is very delayed. What’s funny is when my device is connected to Band 4 I have decent speeds, nothing near as close as I experienced in OKC but they are fast enough to watch a SD YouTube video with minimal buffering.

Without rooting my device to force band 4, is there anything else we can do? We’ve had 4 tickets opened and closed, one is currently open. I have 0 data in and around my neighborhood. I have to drive at least 5 miles away before I can use data when my devices is connected to Band 12; therefore, this is not a device issue.

The 4G LTE cell spot helps with boosting the signal but it’s boosting a signal that never worked to begin with (Band 12). I am truly at a loss here.

Switched SIM cards

Multiple devices

Cell Spot engaged

Works fine 5 miles from the neighborhood

Yet the engineers state this is normal performance.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Band 12 no Data

Yikes, definitely sounds like a local tower issue. Have you heard anything back on that last ticket that was opened for you?

• themrberryhill

Nothing as of yet. For testing purposes, I put my Tmo SIM card in a Verizon branded S9+ that doesn’t use Tmo’s Band 12, it connects to Band 4 most of the time and service is okay. It will switch to Band 2 and that doesn’t work just like Band 12 doesn’t. No one in the field at Tmo or their contractors for the towers will not take responsibility for Band 12 and 2 not working. It’s sad that no one is held accountable for Band 12 and Band 2 not working. Teachers at Meeker Elementary who have T-mobile do not have service when using a T-Mobile branded device that’s capable of using the 700Mhz Band 12.

• stevetjr

It might be a software issue on the device also; I markets where their is band 4 (and/or 66 which is an extension of 4 if phone supports it) the phone should always want to use that.  Band 12 is supposed to be a rollover band if needed since it is a much narrower channel and not near the bandwidth as 4/66 is.  In most markets Band 4 is 10x10 at a minimum but usually 15x15 or 20x20 mhz wide; when TMO got Band 12 from Verizon (and since initial some others) it is only a 5x5 mhz channel and by the nature of it being low band also is slower due to the longer wave but the good point is it carriers farther and penetrates buildings better.

At my former residence the neighborhood was in a bit of a geographical bowl surrounded by trees and when I first moved there Band 12 wasn't live yet and had no reception even though the tower was only about 2 miles away as the crow flies.  When band 12 went live I had service and as soon as I drove out of the neighborhood up the hill the phone would roll to band 4.  It was explained to me that is how the phones were set up on how to prioritize which frequency. 

Not that factory resetting a phone is fun (although not as bad as it used to be since most things backed up on the cloud) but if the ticket/tower thing doesn't pan out might be worth a shot. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • themrberryhill

Yeah I've performed a factory reset on the LG V30 & when it connects to B12 nothing works, it's like a faux LTE signal.

I tested it on my unlocked Note 9 yesterday and it works when on B4/66 but nothing on B2 & B12.

I love T-mobile, been with them for 5+ years (been with Verizon since 2009 on my own account, since 2001 with my parents ) and I love what they've done for the wireless industry and their customer service is A+++ but I can't take having these problems in & around the neighbor 

Teachers at the school 2 blocks over who have T-mobile don't have service either.

One technician blamed it on congestion but if that was the case then it wouldn't perform the way it does when stuck on B12 at 2-3am.

We really hope that T-mobile can do something to help.

• stevetjr

That is weird!!  TMO doesn't have a lot of markets with Band 2 (1900) LTE that is the old GSM 2G band for the most part except in some markets they couldn't originally get Band 4.  When in Atlanta on the outer fringes in some counties occasional I would see but not sure if that was just the phones imagination or not.  Atlanta was a 20x20 Band 4 and left just before they turned on Band 66 so I am sure it is even faster.  In Memphis we don't have Band 12 (yet) one of like only 2 major cities that TMO has the spectrum that isn't live because we still have a TV station on channel 51 and unlike Los Angeles the station here didn't or wouldn't sign a concurrent use waiver.  Supposedly they have to be moved by November this year so hopefully it will get turned on shortly after that so can get decent coverage at my office. 

I don't know the LG's but the newer Samsungs in network connections, mobile networks the ability to lock out 2G or LTE.  Occasionally especially after coming out of my office where service drops off an on, my phone will act squirrel and won't want to go from 4G (3g+) back to 4Glte so if I kick it into 3G/LTE only or sometimes 2G only for a minute or two then kick it back to LTE/3G/2G autoconnect it gets its act together.

• tmo_chris

Anything yet?

• themrberryhill

The engineers said that there is zero Band 12/700Mhz in my area which is completely false & tech support agreed so they had to send the ticket back up again. We have no clue why an engineer would say Colorado doesn't have any Band 12 700Mhz spectrum.

• themrberryhill

My area is covered in Band 12 and per my previous messages when my devices, all of them, is connected to Band 12 data, calls, and texts do not work. I’m not trying to be rude so I apologize in advance if it seems that way, I completely understand how text can be misconstrue. The 6th trouble ticket was escalated again after I sent John Ledge an email and Tweet. I work in IT/Wireless Operations for the Federal Aviation Administration out of Oklahoma City, I have an extensive background on how the “big 4” work from a network standpoint. I’ve also reached out to Erricson and the contractors who are contracted to work on the cell sites here, so far nothing as of yet.

• tmo_mike_c

I understand. And I do see 700 in Greeley. I'm bummed you went through filing 6 tickets, but pushing this up to our engineering team is the right way to go. When did you have the ticket escalated? Were you given any info about updates on the ticket after filed?

• themrberryhill

Message from representative Mariah Daigle yesterda:

Thank you SO much for your patience while I reviewed everything, Anthony. I totally hear you on moving to an area with different speeds. I used to live within a mile of a tower and got amazing speeds then last year I moved "into the woods" as my friends like to joke around with me and my home internet max speeds are like 10 Mbps from 60-80Mbps before. I'm also SUPER sorry to hear about your mom. My cousin who is 45 had a stroke two months ago and is currently undergoing major rehab, as his whole right side is paralyzed and he is unable to speak. I hope that your mom's was a bit less intense and she's doing well. I know how important it is for you to be staying in touch with family during these times.

I'm going to reach out to my top engineers to share all of the details that you have collected for us, as well as ask them to have a local team test out the area that you are speaking about. I'm also going to ask them to specifically to look into Band 12 in the area since you mentioned that is when it's giving you signal, but no service. I'm going to reach back out to you within 48 hours with an update. I want you to know that this will in fact go directly to the local teams and will be highly escalated. I've got you covered!

• themrberryhill

You're welcome! I definitely noticed that you folks have been quite kind through this whole process and I want to personally thank you for that. We appreciate it so much, Anthony. I filed this new ticket on the line ending in 5466, as the line ending in 0075 is not currently active with us as you had mentioned before needing it elsewhere until this was all figured out. They may get some text messages about this, but that's just me making sure that our engineers know what's going on to help speed the process up. I'll touch base with you in the next 2 days with an update. Thanks for your time in allowing me to get this escalated as high as possible. I look forward to being in touch soon with some answers.

• themrberryhill

What I’ve been trying to convey since July 19th of this year (Reply from TForce):

Hey, Anthony I wanted to share some news with you after having the local engineers check the area, my friend. Let me share an update with you that they had shared with me to ensure that you have the full picture of everything since you seem pretty technologically inclined!

"The sector of DN03665B that serves our customer is without LTE 700 right now due to an RF module failure. This drops a good chunk of LTE bandwidth out of service, and loads up the remaining LTE technologies, causing a lot of congestion and poor performance. Looking into it, it appears to have been sporadically failing over the last couple weeks, but not of sufficient duration to trip an alarm, thus we did not know about it. This morning, it did finally trip that alarm and we were able to open a ticket for our field engineers. The good news is that this is not a tower top site, and so our field engineer personnel can replace the radio once we have received it from our warehouse."

It definitely seems like they were able to pin down the culprit and get started on working towards a resolution! I was not provided an ETA on when to expect this resolved, but

Whoops! Sorry that was sent a bit prematurely. Lol!

What I would like to do is team up with you to check back in with you next week to see if things have improved. How does that sound?

This agent rocks!!! She is the ONLY one who understood what was going on. I hate that I was correct with Band 12 not working but thankful they identified the problem and will correct it.

Just a rant, I have conveyed this information over and over and over again for well over a month and none of the information I begged to be placed within the trouble ticket was either skipped over, told that there is congestion, told there is NO band 12 in the area, was told the issue is with no Band 71 in the area (I know there isn’t Band 71 in the area, that‘s not the issue), was told it was a device issue even though I advised that this was tested on the iPhone X, Samsung S8+, Samsung Note 8, Samsung Note 9, LG V30, and another S8+. It literally took an email sent to the CEO of T-Mobile to get some action on this, and Mariah played a huge part in getting this resolved too, she is the real MVP!!!

Now that it out of my system, I will be looking towards the future & hope that this will get repaired soon. I will keep everyone updated on this outcome.