Number porting problem

magenta5890006

I called T-mo support Friday afternoon to inquire about and then initiate porting my long standing Verizon landline over to my T-mo cellphone. Was assured my info was complete, and it would complete in 2-24 hours max. I called back friday night to check in, and was reassured that all was in order, but 25 hours later there's been no progress., and no message from T-mo on status.

I called back in, and after a brief review... was escalated to another rep/team that had no details on my open request, who took my details again. The rep found my request in the system and said it wouldn't be addressed until mid-day Monday. Despite my queries, I wasn't able to get a straight answer on the reason for delay and am starting to worry this might go awry.

I unexpectedly have a lot going on right now, so this delay is causing a number of personal communication problems. If there's some kind of discrepancy i can help resolve... I'd like to do it now, rather than wait for Monday to see no change, and have to call in again.

I greatly appreciate the friendliness of T-mo reps, but it seems many are not sufficiently informed or empowered to help on technical items (which are really the only thing i need to call in about once every few years).

All replies

• magentatechie

Re: Number porting problem

Hey there, I'm sorry you've had to wait so long for the port to go through.  Did you speak to the Number Transfer Center at any point when you called in?

• magenta5890006

I'm guessing the Number Transfer Center is who i was connected with by front line reps when i called back after 25 hours. The NTC (i assume) didn't have any info regarding my open issue, and i had to direct them to find my request in the system. They weren't forthcoming on anything regarding why it was delayed, but advised it was due to be addressed on Monday around noon.

I have a lot going on this weekend, so had I been advised there might be problems I would have delayed the transition... or at the very least attempted to take care of whatever might be causing the delay.

Appreciate your concern.

• sweetpeach

It's been my experience that landline carriers are reluctant to comply with the law to the point that they openly disregard the time constraints to which they are required to adhere. It's really getting to be the norm, unfortunately. I think all this cord cutting is starting to affect their bottom lines!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • magenta5890006

We'll i'd been meaning to discontinue landline service for a very long time, but been too busy. I just received a letter from Verizon indicating i needed to switch to Fios or have my line shut-off. As it served to remind me, it's their fault I stopped procrastinating.

• magentatechie

I don't know that there is anything to be done to expedite the process, I'm afraid.  I just know that landline numbers are notoriously tricky to port to cell phone carriers, and tend to take a bit longer to process.  If there are any real hang-ups in the port, you'll have notations on your account.  What I would do is reach out to T-Force via Facebook or Twitter and request an update.  They'll be able to access your account and let you know if any problems have come up yet.

• magenta5890006

I appreciate the advice. I just wish the T-mo rep would have told me that landlines take longer (I actually called in a few weeks prior to get the lowdown on the process, before s brief recap just before moving forward Friday). I would have investigated what I could possibly do in advance to help expedite. I don't participate in Facebook or Twitter, so T-Force isn't an option. Thanks for the info.

• tmo_chris

Hey magenta5890006

I know we are past the noon Monday timeframe. How are things going? To give you a bit more detail as to the timeline on number porting, typically wireless to T-Mobile is up to 24 hours. For a Wireline/Landline, this can take up to 2 business days for a single line request or up to 10 business days for multiple lines.

• magenta5890006

As of Tuesday morning, the landline number successfully ported over to my cell phone. All appears to be working well. I just wish I was better advised on the timing beforehand and I could have avoided a confusing weekend. I had read on a T-mo web-page (prior google search) that porting takes 10 minutes to 24 hours, and the T-mo rep confirmed 2-24 hours. I've subsequently read the "up to 2 business days"so I think it just comes down to consistent messaging to set expectations.

I'm just glad it's over now. Thanks