Cross country coverage

mrclark

I have a Samsung S7 and while driving cross country, I barely got a signal or none at all and I was in populated areas and nothing. Even after restarting my phone several times. I could only get signals in major cities. My wife on the other hand has Boost mobile and had a good signal all the way through. So not sure if anyone else has had this issue and I have been a T-Mobile customer for a long time.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Cross country coverage

The T-Mobile version of the S7 has all but the most recent LTE bands (66 & 71) and while there could be dead spots in rural areas, I'd be surprised to hear that there were significant gaps in towns and cities. Can you name some of the places where you didn't have service? Have you compared your experience with 3rd-party coverage maps, like CellMapper.net, RootMetrics.com and Sensorly.com?

Have any techies had an opportunity to "mess with" your phone's settings?

• mrclark

I was in Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky and Tennessee. Most of the time I did not have service, except in the major cities in those states and no nobody had adjusted or looked through my phone. I have had the phone for awhile and even at work when I leave a building it takes a long time to regain a signal or I can restart it. I don't have this issue with my work cell, which is a Verizon phone. 

• drnewcomb2

Well, look at the coverage mapping sites I mentioned and if they show service where you had none, there's probably something wrong with the phone. One thing that might happen is that you can use a hidden menu on most Samsungs to lock the phone into certain bands and operating modes. If it got locked into band 2 or 4 I could see how it might have poor rural coverage. Now, many parts of Missouri, Tennessee & Illinois don't have band-12 (700 MHz). Most of Kentucky does. Band 12 is what T-Mobile uses to cover rural areas more efficiently.