Being held HOSTAGE

magenta3623777

I HAVE AN IPHONE 7 that has no balance and made the mistake of switching carriers before I requested an unlocking.  TMOBILE  SAYS

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. Our records indicate that your account is canceled with unpaid pending charges. Once the pending charges have been paid in full, please contact us to have a new SIM Unlock Request submitted. You can make a payment by dialing Customer Care at 1-800-937-

So basically what Tmobile is saying is that they are holding MY phone HOSTAGE until I pay a bill they haven’t even processed yet.   Ps. All my accounts are paid on time

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Being held HOSTAGE

That is pretty much correct. Your final bill must be paid after it is processed before you can get it unlocked. This is done to help ensure they get paid for the final bill rather than customers just letting it go to collections. I am not insinuating that you would do this, but that is the reason.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta3623777

So. holding  paid for iPhone or any phone hostage is acceptable in the tmobile community?  Someone that may or may not default on an account and not releasing my paid for phone are two different issues.

• theartiszan

It is not really held hostage as this is made clear in their policy. They are exactly the same issue. If you port to another carrier and have not already unlocked your phone per their policy, it is insurance that they get paid if you want to use your phone with the other carrier. You did have the option to unlock before you moved to another carrier. None the less, it is part of the terms to request an unlock in their policy and is spelled out as such.

Unlock your mobile wireless device

• defeedme

you just admitted to making the mistake of not unlocking beforehand.

• magenta3623777

So you all call it a mistake for not being sneaky?  Wow!

• theartiszan

Has nothing to do with not being sneaky. It has to do with knowing the policy which they have made public. Knowing the policy ahead of your move to another company, I'm sure you would have requested the phone to be unlocked first. But since that request wasn't done, the terms indicate that the final bill be paid first.

PS - no I do not work for or are compensated in any way by TMobile.

• defeedme

believe me you I hate mobile carriers just as much as the next guy. But this is a lesson, always unlock first. I left sprint with an $800 balance, f' em, they screwed with me for years.

• theartiszan

And that is why the policy is what it is.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                  • defeedme

maybe if mobile carriers treated customers better it wouldn't happen in the first place.

• defeedme

i have to admit tmobile seems to be a little better than the rest when it comes to cust serv.. so far.. at least for about 10 months...

• magenta3623777

You all don’t know my status as a customer. But T-MOBILE does.  While this should have been a non-issue, T-Mobile (who can see my obedience and loyalty, is making an enemy, where there should have never been an issue

• defeedme

i agree, tmobile should be nice & just unlock it, but rather they are just sheep following the rest of the evil carriers who are never nice in this instance. magenta3623777

• theartiszan

While I can understand the sentiment, but again, that is the policy. While you probably have had good payment history in the past, but you are now leaving and the situation can be different and the loyalty has come to an end. In a free market economy, that you can speak with your wallet, are you shocked that a company would try to watch for their best interests to make sure they get paid what they are owed? You should be able to call them and find out how much the last bill will be and pay it before you get it in the mail. After the payment is posted you can then request the unlock.

• magenta3623777

Yes sir. I did exactly that. I did call them after that email, the agent said I had a ZERO balance and they didn’t understand why either

• theartiszan

Then if that is true and there is no pending charges to the account, there is just a problem with the unlock process which can happen. In that case they should be able to escalate the request to get it filled.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta3623777!

I completely understand why you're frustrated as this should be super simple. Has your final bill already generated? I understand that you called us a few days ago and was told there was a zero balance but reps have to manually look to see if there are pending charges and that may not have been done. I recommend working with T-Force via Facebook or Twitter to see if some progress can be made to unlock your phone. They'll also be able to file an escalated request if your account balance is zero and there are zero pending charges.