Galaxy S9+ TMobile LTE Speed A Joke

rbryinc

So I get download speeds on LTE at about 10PM of 12.15 to 15.91 but at around 9AM when I actually need to use the phone I get 3.24,3.15.  My point being when TMobile advertises they are fastest network and it is at 3AM when everyone is sleeping does it really matter and is it truthful advertising

SPEED TEST.jpg

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Galaxy S9+ TMobile LTE Speed A Joke

Classic symptom of cell congestion. Where are you located?

• rbryinc

suburbs of PA.  I totally understand the logic behind it.  Point is that LTE speeds huge advertising point and if the speeds when it is most needed like when you are at work suck, who cares that they get what they get at 3AM.  Advertising should be"TMobile, fastest LTE network as long as you do not use it during business hours"

• drnewcomb2

I assume you mean the suburbs of Philadelphia, not the suburbs of Harrisburg. Generally, this sort of congestion is found in places like Chicago, inside The Loop. In theory, your S9+ should be able to take advantage of every one of the 41 MHz of download capacity T-Mobile has to deploy in that market. One thing I might check is if you're getting a mid-band signal where you work. If for some reason, only the band 12 (700 MHz) signal is getting inside, it can cut you down from 41 MHz to 5 MHz. You might want to load "LTE DIscovery" on your phone and see what signals you're getting when you experience slow service.

Several things in the works which could improve the situation:

1. T-Mobile-Sprint merger. Would open up Sprint's many MHz of high-band licenses to T-Mobile
              2. Deployment of band 46 (5 GHz) for high-capacity, short-range LTE augmentation.
              3. Speed up of OTA TV station repacking to allow early deployment of band 71.

The good news is that, when any of these happen, your S9+ will be able to take advantage of them.

• rbryinc

Isn't Band 12 the extended range band?  Why would that destroy my signal

• drnewcomb2

In the vast majority of markets, T-Mobile has only 6x6 MHz of band-12. This allows only a 5x5 MHz LTE signal. The capacity of a 5x5 LTE signal is much less than 10x10 or any of the larger allocations. If several people are trying to use this signal, it can quickly become congested. I sometimes visit a remote area where the only T-Mobile signal I can receive is about 2 bars of band-12. In this situation, it's all my phone can do to check e-mail and send and receive texts. The same thing can happen inside buildings where the only signal available is band-12.

• rbryinc

well then, the strange thing is that I loaded the LTE checker app you sugested and I am on band 12 everywhere, in my office, in my house, out on the street.  I am not far from Philly so I am not in a minor market.  I never get anything other then 12

• drnewcomb2

That's a head scratcher. Did you ever lock your phone into band-12-only mode and forget to unlock it? Not sure if the S9+ has this but many Samsung phones have the ability for the user to pick which bands and modes he wants the phone to use. If you enter "*#2263#" on the keypad, you may be dropped into a black & white menu that allows you to limit the bands and modes used. Here's some information about Samsung's secret codes.

BTW, your phone should see band-12 everywhere but it should also see bands 2 & 4 as well.

• tmo_chris

Definitely some congestion! Has it always been like this or did it recently start? Have you already spoken with our over the phone support folks yet?